My First G43 (ac45) - rough shape...

Thread: My First G43 (ac45) - rough shape...

Default My First G43 (ac45) - rough shape...

Hello, new to posting.... I picked up this G43 a while back in an online auction. It's my first one. Its a Walther ac45. I believe, from the Waffenamt code 359, that it was made in Zella-Mehlis. It has seen some hard use... There is no front sight hood or cleaning rod. I heard that some later models did not have the front sight hood, so I don't know if this did or not. From what I've seen so far the original hoods are hard to come by, but I might look for one. The stock is split and pinned at the wrist, and it looks like it was also burned on the top of the buttstock and had the burned chunk cut out and patched. i wish i knew the story behind that damage... It's in rough shape compared to the many fine examples I've seen here, though I am still happy to have it. I thought that $1800 was high, given the condition.. but I've wanted one for a while, and it was less than the rest I had seen so I took a shot.

Any thoughts on the value or any other info?

I'm thinking about getting a shooter's kit for it. Is it worth getting the replacement springs too?

Thanks very much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190212_175930.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	3696639

Name:	20180403_063752.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	3696641

Name:	20190212_180503.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	979.5 KB 
ID:	3696643

Name:	20180403_063827.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	3696645

Name:	20180403_063801.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	3696647

Name:	20190201_063110.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	3696653

Name:	20200723_155237.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	3696655
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200723_155304.jpg  

20190212_180052.jpg  

Pretty cool rifle in my opinion. Aside from the stock, which I wouldnít do anything to at this point, I would think a careful inspection of everything is the next step to insure itís good to go mechanically. Definitely acquire a shooters kit and Iím pretty sure most offer a spring kit with them (Apfeltor includes them (4 or 5 I think) with the kit) as youíll need that set too. Looks like a recycled cosmetic receiver of St. Etienne (I hope Iím correct on this) production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the bolt apart and check the firing pin carrier for cracks. That thin wall where the bolt op fits ,cracks easily and if you shoot it like that, it will split and the locking lugs will set permanently in the chamber. I know, it happened to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

You might want to remove the dust cover too if you decide to shoot...Just one more thing to potentially bind....And if it's an original, no sense in breaking it....

The designation was changed to K43 by this time, so I would agree it's a recycled receiver....If the front sight is cut for a protector, it likely came with one....Bodes

Thanks for the comments. I will definitely check for cracks as advised, and pick up a shooters kit before taking it to the range. How about the value in this condition? $1800 plus auction fees, was a bit steep to me.... I had hoped It would close a bit lower, given the stock repairs.... It was also my first online firearm action, so I may have been a bit overzealous.

I did read about the ac45 G43 marked receivers being less common that others. Does that increase the value at all?
    Not looking to sell it, anyway, though.. Just wanted to add to the collection. Thanks again!

The ac45s make up about 45,000 of total production and Front Sight Post's upcoming book Rough Forged answers many questions in the the two volumes. For more info, please subscribe for updates at https://www.FrontSightPostPublishing.com, or visit us on social media:

https://www.frontsightpostpublishing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/FrontSightPostPublishing
    https://twitter.com/Front_SightPost/
    https://www.instagram.com/frontsightpostpublishing/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWb...ODdXfpXpKHL8qw

Yes it's for sure worth $1800 plus fees if it's gtg internally

If it was mine, I'd remove that repair, screw in a piece of plywood with a similar grain, fill any gaps/holes, and then sand it flush. Stain to match, then a little 0000 steel wool GENTLE and linseed oil on that thirsty stock

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I think you did well at that price and I would say easily $2500 in todays market

Thank you for the comments. Good to know it's worth at least what I paid. I don't think I could do a better job at repairing that stock, so I might have to leave it that way. I am hesitant to mess with it at all. What would be the safest thing to use on the wood, though, if anything? It is very dry. I have seen recommendations both for and against various types of oils (BLO, Tung, mineral) for the stocks. I have also heard that some people swear by Howard Feed-n-Wax and others Ballistol.... I have not tried either one.

What were these stocks treated with originally? I would want to use something as close to original as possible.

I am looking forward to learning more about these in the new Rough Forged book.. Already on the mailing list. Thanks again.