Favorite Knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Just a quick note: Queen did make a Swiss Army style knife in the form of the US Demo knife. It was USGI issued and manufactured in 1987. I have one. For my every day use I carry an old Imperial 5-blade pocket knife (a Boy Scout version) with blade, awl, can opener, bottle opener and both a flat-head and philips screwdriver. Based on US Navy designs from WWII, they are outstanding knives with excellent carbon steel. Think of them as slightly smaller than a Demo knife without the bolster and with a philips head - and designed prior to the Swiss army knife! Mine is from the early 1960's.

My long knife, something I carry whilst camping and hiking, is a Benchmade Rant 440c.

Davis
    Swiss Army Knives were invented in the 1880's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhwIwxvEW0&t=97s
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Yeah, but that's not the SAK we know and love today. The Soldier's model of 1961, the eponymous Swiss Army Knife, was introduced post WWII two decades after virtually the same knife was issued to US soldiers and Marines. The Combat Engineers carried the first ones - which were the later Demo knife but with traditional scales. The Navy issued a pattern with the phillips head screwdriver. All before the 1951 Soldier Model, which blatantly copied the US Demo knife. The 1908 Soldier Model did have four functions, but the first knife with the bottle opener, can opener, awl, screwdriver, and knife blade was not a Swiss Army Knife. It was Imperial that first included the phillips head and that was decades prior to the Swiss.

And, the issued Swiss Army Knife upon which all current ones are based is a copy of the US design. One might argue that the US was a copy of the earlier Swiss (all armies issued multi-tools to troops from the musket days). But the knife that made Victorinox tons of money in the US was a copy of the USGI pocket knife.

https://smartknives.com/Soldier-Knives.htmlClick image for larger version. 

Name:	comparison knives.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	339.6 KB 
ID:	3700067
    Dark Forces on the march...
    Angel's Glow is out! The Peacock Papers begin
    https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Glow-P...s=davis+riddle
    The Battle of Shiloh and a demonic disease spreads!

The Visitor, another story from the Peacock Papers!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

@davidsog : WOW. Beginning of an education right here. Thank you for giving me a real starting point in understanding what goes into different knives.
    “Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or more valuable possession than time.”
    “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”

- Thomas Jefferson

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
    “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSgt View Post
    https://morethanjustsurviving.com/knife-blade-steels/

and this might be helpful lots of folks reviewing knives to get an Idea what other people feel goes into a
    good knife https://www.youtube.com/user/SMKWcom/playlists

Here is a detailed discussion of all the various knife steels what's good and bad about each which takes what grind angle and why it matters https://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelchart.php

Excellent links to get me started... will take a read of all and add some videos for lunchtime. Thank you!
    “Every day is lost in which we do not learn something useful. Man has no nobler or more valuable possession than time.”
    “I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.”

- Thomas Jefferson

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
    “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
    Great company.

I carried a Victorinox Swiss Tool for over 30 years. Bought it when I was in 1/75th and entire time I served. It has been on every Continent except for Antarctica and in served me well in the Arctic, Jungles, Desert, Mountains, and Oceans. It never let me down and still looks like it just came out of the box.

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...ool/p/3.0323.N

I have been issued SOG tools, Leathermans, Gerber Tools, and all kinds of very nice knives but that Swiss Tool was always on my belt.
    did the Gerber's hold up ???

I have 2, and both have broken tools on them,

sent one back, they replaced the broken bits, and they broke again,

keep them in range bags now,

the leatherman I have has never failed,,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiqueKid View Post
    What's a good place to learn about hunting knives? Looking at picking up a durable knife for hunting at some point in the future for elk, deer, and birds. Would be interested to know if there is a durable/value option (e.g. the "Glock" of the hunting knife world that gets the job done), and what the "beauty" option may be.
    truly depends on where you are, and what you have available,

Davidsog gave a great tutorial ,

when I hunted, (deer etc) I hunted in farmland, everyone had some type of knife on the belt and a pocket knife as well,

we kilt the deer, and hung them in a tobacco barn till that night,

then hung them up (by the front feet, not rear) and butchered them using the tools of the trade, (I was , and hunted with, Journeyman meat guys)

a good 6" curved boning and 10" breaker knife will make the job on any animal very easy, clean and quick,

if it was cold enough, we let them hang a few days, if not, they were broken down and put in a cooler,

reason we hung them by the front was it was easier to dress,

slit open, hold a bag at the feet, and drop all the guts etc right in the trash bag,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Glad your happy, but it looks like a Shrade Oldtimer classic with Ruger etching, are they now selling knives?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiqueKid View Post
    @davidsog : WOW. Beginning of an education right here. Thank you for giving me a real starting point in understanding what goes into different knives.
    You are most welcome!

awl
    Stuck many a blasting cap in an M112 with that awl, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post

I've had an original Gerber MP (Multi-Pliers before they came out with the numbered models but also fondly referred to as Mr. Pinchy) since the early 1990's. It was the first multitool I carried every day. My only multitool for many years. The worst problem with the early Gerbers was rust but I polished mine with Flitz metal polish and it has never rusted and still looks as good as new. Still carry it occasionally. Also have a Gerber MPT (military provisional tool) which was created specifically to compete with the original Leatherman tool for military contracts that called for a butterfly opening tool, and it is very loose at the pliers pivot but still very much a functional tool. I later got the MP-600 pro scout which has scissors and a replaceable saw blade, and the MP-400 compact sport which also has scissors. They both have needle nose pliers. I prefer the MP-600 with the blunt nose because I think it is sometimes easier to work on bolts in tight spaces without the needle nose that most multi-tools have. Also I prefer pocket carry rather than belt pouches and the needle nose Gerbers will tear up a pocket. My problem is they didn't make a tool with the blunt nose pliers and a scissors. I require scissors in my EDC. Gotta have them. The newer Gerbers such as the Center Drive do not have as good a reputation as the older tools and the general consensus seems to be that their replaceable carbide cutter blades in the wire cutters are too brittle to be of any use, and, I've even heard that Chinese copies of the carbide cutters are better than the originals.

I have several models of Leatherman tools as well and my Super Tool 300 is my go to tool when I'm in lockdown mode when under a storm warning. I need heavy duty tools when putting up shutters and prepping for a storm and I just always seem to grab the 300. I wish it had scissors but I always pocket a Victorinox classic when I carry the super tool just so I have scissors. My favorite light carry combo however, is a Leatherman Sidekick paired with a Victorinox Mountaineer. You have complimentary tool sets there without a lot of overlap. I don't have a Leatherman Surge but most of the contestants on Alone seem to carry them as their multitool of choice. In a previous season one contestant tapped out after getting a fishing hook stuck in her finger because she didn't have a multitool to get it out and I don't think there's been a contestant without one since then.

The best way to decide which multitool works for you is to carry one for a month and if it has any shortcomings find a tool that addresses those issues for you. I don't believe there is one tool that will do everything which is why I like to carry combos of tools. The closest to being able to be carried by itself for me was the Leatherman Wave until I found the Victorinox Spirit which I liked better. Everyone likes different features so not everyone will like the same multitool. Purpose built tools will always do the job better than a multi-tool but it is sure convenient to have what you need in your pocket when you're up a ladder or otherwise unable to carry a bunch of real tools. The SOG PowerLock and the Swiss Tool are also heavy duty and they do have scissors and I have carried each of them for a month to get to know them, but I just prefer to carry the Super Tool 300 when I need a heavy duty tool. Might just be a tradition for me at this point. Anyone interested in multitools should have a look at www.multitool.org clicking on forum on the upper right of that page will bring you to their discussion boards. They have a lot of good material and were also the source of the wiki page about the Swiss Tool that was linked to earlier.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

It’s a tie between two of my user Randalls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	695D3B76-95BB-4BCA-8A1E-BD9F7BF85319.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	3700387

EDC and hiking/camping. Love ‘em both.

Got two soldiers knives..
    “Encouraging Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

I have one of the black oxide "ex Military" ones with the det. crimper & replaceable cutter blade jaws, I don't remember the model #. It lives permanently in my BOB. I've used it a fair bit on annual Bob Week camp-outs & its not failed me yet.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

Quote Originally Posted by UPNorth1 View Post
    Glad your happy, but it looks like a Shrade Oldtimer classic with Ruger etching, are they now selling knives?
    UpNorth1, the knife is made by Silver Stag out of Blaine WA. Ruger has their name etched on them, like many of their knives they sell.. It was on sale, got it for almost the same price as their knife on their website. Big Ruger fan and I bought it for my birthday.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    Swiss Army Knives were invented in the 1880's.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQhwIwxvEW0&t=97s
    Looks just like the one I have but no logo. Can't remember where I got it or when, its been in a drawer for years.

Mine is not quite as chincy, parts are thicker, cork screw is definitely pot metal. The scissors are just junk, seems like a waste of space. Guess I'll just toss it in my day backpack and look for a better one. I have some smaller multi tools that have pliers but not as many other tools.

The Gerbers are not my favorite and I do not recommend them. We got one issued for every tour in Afghanistan as part of the Regular Army issue. I was also issued one when the Regular Army adopted them so I have 5 of those things.

I used the first one occasionally. The design seems to find new ways to pinch you whenever you pick it up. The steel is brittle so the wire cutters do break. If it gets near water or humidity, it rusts up. I had my first one rust up so bad after doing a Helocast infil that it would not open the next morning. I had to soak it in CLP and work with it for a while. It went in a drawer after that. I keep one in the cars and the airplane. They are kind of Emergency back up to the back up. The knives are sharp on them.

I would rate the Multi-tools as:

1. Swiss Tool
    2. SOG Tool
    3. Leatherman
    4. Leatherman Wave

I went on SOG's website and they have way too many models now.

This is what I have but mine is an older version. It does not have scissors. Honestly, I have never understood the obsession with scissors. I have never once been in the woods and thought, "If I only had some scissors..."

The SOG has the best saw of all of them. It cuts wood very well, which is helpful for traps and shelters.

https://sogknives.com/powerlock-eod-...h-nylon-pouch/

The scissors are not a needed field implement, but they are useful if you are prone to torn cuticles and hang nails due to dry skin and poor circulation. Some annoying side affects of Diabetes.
    Regards, Alan K.

I don't carry a knife,but keep a Swiss army knife in my vehicle,and if I had to take a knife camping or some such would probably take a Glock knife I recently purchased.Most useful cutlery I ever used was Swedish Mauser bayonet.....used it on the farm for cutting bales of hay open and then feeding out the sections of the bale off the back of the truck to livestock during winter.Was just the right size and weight for such a task.

On my mission to AFG I got the new Bundeswehr Army Multitool knife. But it had no cork screw. In the PX we could buy wine from South Africa but the plastic corks were "glued" into the bottle. No chance to push them in. And decaping the bottle with a combat knife ended in a mess. Works only in movies. My wife sent me my old Victorinox Army knife with a cork screw. Obviously our leaders were convinced that us grunts can afford wine only in laminated cardbord boxes .
    Its a jungle out there (Randy Newman)

Recall there is a Leunig cartoon of the Australian Army knife - it consists of a bottle opener and corkscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
    On my mission to AFG I got the new Bundeswehr Army Multitool knife. But it had no cork screw. In the PX we could buy wine from South Africa but the plastic corks were "glued" into the bottle. No chance to push them in. And decaping the bottle with a combat knife ended in a mess. Works only in movies. My wife sent me my old Victorinox Army knife with a cork screw. Obviously our leaders were convinced that us grunts can afford wine only in laminated cardbord boxes .
    In the US Army it is a tradition to give soldiers a good meal right before major combat. The guys hitting the beach on Normandy got Fried Chicken and Ice Cream. Ice Cream was a big deal in 1944.

We got Steak and Lobster in Afghanistan. Before we took Objective Rhino, we were moving so fast that the Army logistics could not keep up with all the special issue meals were supposed to be eating. They issued it to our support but there was no way to cook it and get it out to us. After that phase, we rolled back to Kandahar Airfield and the SOTF (later it became Camp Brown) to plan and then establish Firebases. We had connex's full of steak and lobster but no beer.

The Bundeswehr guys got beer in their field rations. We traded Steak and Lobster for beer with them. Everybody was happy, LOL.

smile

Fudd collegian peptides..fixed my hair nails..dry eczema palms Kroger $15; bucks no taste..tea coffee juice..
    helps leaky guts..bones have more of this in it than calcium, skin a connecting tissue builder..
    your more acidic like my wife..same condition..
    calcium citrate will cut down on you acidic stomach ..?

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	3701971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	732.5 KB 
ID:	3701973
    together with bag balm..you can do no better..
    softens my steel nails, ingrown Nails just getting started softens areas, cuticles in a few days..
    brighten tattoo my girl friend loves the results..<>< dan
    remembering that’s acid, alkaline chart of digestive food..lean to alkaline Digestive alkaline inducing foodS..
    my wife sick with it 12 years.
    .I’d sneak her toward these things..mixed greens,
    after one of her hospital stays in stat acidos, meds and all.
    get your self some pool test strips..I bet you’ll light them up in the acid sides.
    .easy to read cheapest test for your needs and my gout..concerns..better than blood work..immediate results..
    water Mellon alkaline..buy sugar so lemon juice next best to push it to alkaline side of digestion’s.

if you need I’ll post food chart or pm me..
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 08-02-2020 at 12:22 AM.

The Fascists Of The Future Will Call Themselves Anti-fascist.

Nice turkey..

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Nice turkey..
    Thanks! Shoots flat and soft.

Zero Tolerance 0456? I don't ever see myself buying or carrying a $300 pocket knife, but I know where to look if I ever decide to go that route.
    Regards, Alan K.

I’ve got One caniks had 5# gave to my children grand girl...shotguns, Iver Johnson name sake, AR 16 12 gauge ..5# choke tubes and have a target ported 45 near same as you..traded even on all steel tafango 45..
    tolerance in barrel construction surpasses name brand guns..

Name:	Jim's dagger  reduced.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	3704199

For me it has to be the 13 inch blade I made for a friend (I am not sure I want to be reminded of this) 37 years ago. I still get to pay it the occasional visit for a health check, and it will still take a shaving from the edge of a tight-stretched human hair. The hilt is brass, nickel plated with a kit bought through a motorcycling magazine, and the grip of grand palisander wood, chocolate and custard striped before it mellowed, because I have an allergy to the rosewoods. The etching is done with dilute nitric acid, enamel paint and Letraset rub-on transfer lettering. Not many people know that.

Of course finding a rational use for it is a problem. But I am hardly alone in that.

This is my weekend carry knife(dress knife :D). My daily carry knives are ones that get lots of abuse on the job but they aren't my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    Zero Tolerance 0456? I don't ever see myself buying or carrying a $300 pocket knife, but I know where to look if I ever decide to go that route.

Very nice, reminds me of a German forest dagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post

Name:	Jim's dagger  reduced.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	3704199

For me it has to be the 13 inch blade I made for a friend (I am not sure I want to be reminded of this) 37 years ago. I still get to pay it the occasional visit for a health check, and it will still take a shaving from the edge of a tight-stretched human hair. The hilt is brass, nickel plated with a kit bought through a motorcycling magazine, and the grip of grand palisander wood, chocolate and custard striped before it mellowed, because I have an allergy to the rosewoods. The etching is done with dilute nitric acid, enamel paint and Letraset rub-on transfer lettering. Not many people know that.

Of course finding a rational use for it is a problem. But I am hardly alone in that.

Some fine knives indeed!

Was looking for the missing plain jane Swiss Army, small not lots of tools when I found my old balisong knife in the back of the junk drawer.
    I always used to carry it when younger and going to bars a lot in the 80's from Irish bars in SF to Amarillo and everything in between. Good little pig sticker she still is. Just cleaned her up as she was very dirty. I think I'll bring her with me. (Not Legal to carry in some states)
    From Smokey Mountain Knife works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails butterfly 1.jpg  

butterfly 2.jpg  

butterfly.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12