Curious 'Notches'

Thread: Curious 'Notches'

Default Curious 'Notches'

I've got a 1939 all matching Nagant with the notches on it as pictured. It doesn't appear to be either from storage or anything 'normal' I'm familiar with. Looks like at one time someone tried to remove these as well. Possible notches for kills? I'm really curious of your thoughts. Thanks,
    Richard

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nagant Notches.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	3699483

It almost looks like someone tried to deface a marking though I can't see any reason for a marking to be there.

Thatís a lot of space for a typical marking of any kind to be there. Iíve never seen a mark of any size there. BTW, it does have an import mark on the frame so it wasnít anything like that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

It' a mark from wise after barrel replacement (or replacement attempt).

There are no marks on the opposite side. Seems like a vice would have both. Unless of course one side was padded. I’ve never come across a one side padded vice but I suppose anything is possible. I’m also having a difficult time determining if the barrel was replaced. There are no marks on the barrel from being held to turn. This isn’t a refurb and every part that should be is matching and Tula stamped.
    Richard

my money is on a bored soldier with a sharp pointy object or something as mundane as just abuse, wear and tear.
    not every scratch or gouge on a old military surplus firearm has a story behind it ie. "kill notches"
    Last edited by SfcRet; 08-01-2020 at 03:12 AM.

Looks to me like someone used it to pound on a nail or a pin and then tried to clean the dings up by scraping it with a knife blade. Never under estimate the prowess of "Bubba" no matter what army he's in.
    Dan
    I buy rusty guns.

Quote Originally Posted by scandiknivars View Post
    Looks to me like someone used it to pound on a nail or a pin and then tried to clean the dings up by scraping it with a knife blade. Never under estimate the prowess of "Bubba" no matter what army he's in.
    Dan

back in the day, 75/76 our squad got a case of C-Rations in the field, well it had 2 steel wire bands around them. instead of getting a wire cutter from the tool bag and cut then, I figure it would be faster to just stick the barrel of my M16A1 between the wire and the case and "pop" the band. I'm here to tell you that didn't work like I expect it to, that band wasn't going to give

so it's very well maybe possible that it what those dimples and scratch are on the gun
    Last edited by SfcRet; 08-01-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Yep, trying to open cases of rations with the 3 prong flash hider was the major reason for the replacement with the "bird cage" flash hider on the M16A1. That and bent barrels.
    Dan
    I buy rusty guns.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by scandiknivars View Post
    Yep, trying to open cases of rations with the 3 prong flash hider was the major reason for the replacement with the "bird cage" flash hider on the M16A1. That and bent barrels.
    Dan
    That was one reason. One of the other ones was that thing had a genius for getting tangled in underbrush.