Weatherby 378 Mag

Thread: Weatherby 378 Mag

Default Weatherby 378 Mag

I notice in this Forum, a number of older/custom chamberings discussed.
    My question concerns the 378 Weatherby Magnum. A creature of the early fifties, originally chambered in the heavy Schultz & Larsen unique rear locking lug actions. Apparently no question of strength or otherwise of 'accommodation'. Seeming a pretty good round, but now apparently passing largely into chambering oblivion.
    My question... Why?
    Inquiring minds... With thanks for info/observations!

Best & Stay Safe!
    John

i note you're 'burning the midnight oil', John. regarding your question, wondering if you have one of these behemoths yourself? i don't....and have no desire for one. no requirement for such in my area. many years ago i did have a few medium and larger bore rifles; 338 Lapua, 375H&H, 416 Rigby, and a Ruger #1 in 45-70 that i did shoot a bunch. they have all been passed on to others, without much remiss.... i just acquired a Husqvarna model 1900 in 458 Win. Magnum, out of curiosity.

when i was shooting the mediums, and read about the 378 and 460 Weatherby's, the ft. lbs. created, i had no desire to try them. there's not many people that want to expose themselves to that type of self torture. i suppose some just like to say they have one, and that's ok... shooting elephants has become politically incorrect; an Alaskan hunt for a Brown Bear is terribly expensive. so there's really not much call for that amount of thump, anymore. i've noticed the hot fad now is long range shooting, with suitable calibers, such as 300RUM, or 338RUM. the most unpleasant rifle i had to shoot, was in cal. 300 RUM. it was a bit too light and the recoil was extremely sharp and unpleasant. after shooting it just a bit, i traded it for a T-Gewehr. which is similarly not so nice to shoot, but much more interesting to own and peruse.

imo, i'm inclined to think the bruisers type firearms are not as interesting now, as they were more so, when the African hunting was more in vogue. and it seems the Weatherby brand as a whole is not nearly as popular as it once was. there are so many other options now. hope you are keeping your family safe, and wise in your choices in this period of wariness. cheers, Brian.

Hey Frosty! Thanks for the kind reply! Nowadays, perhaps better to frankly say, Nowa-era , most of my question such as this are purely esoteric. It's a cartridge I've admired from afar for some long time. Actually more related to long conjuring one of those big S&L rifles! I have 5 S&L rifles across 6.5 Swed, 30-06 and the ill-fated 7.61 S&H. I like the 'idea' of the action and by the Model 65 S&L was doing it completely right!
    But getting off subject. As you recall, I'm not a hunter... Resident garage mice, excepted! That doesn't mean in collecting, I ignore a rifle solely because disdaining the chambering. At least, none to recollection.
    With life largely static mode, free time + 'inquiring mind'; esoteric posts emerging!
    And hey! What do you think of the Remington... Play it again Sam, bankruptcy?
    Hope you and all of yours staying healthy!
    Best!
    John

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

g'day to you, John. a couple more comments. i have not kept up in the news about Remington's situation. the media here doesn't cover it; please fill us in with the latest.
    and now something more about the Weatherby's.

many years ago, i had a very good friend/gun collector that i visited quite often. he was 26 years older than i, and he was sort of a mentor for me in many, many ways. sort of like a second father. he was a buyer/seller of firearms and was well known in his area, so there was a lot of interesting stuff that came to his house. the reason i mention this is i recalled yesterday that a used Weatherby arrived there that he and i discussed and examined. this was a long time ago and the details aren't too sharp anymore. but i have been pondering it a while now and i'm pretty damn sure it was a 378 Weatherby caliber, and surprise surprise John, it was a Schultz and Larsen action. i can recall handling it; it had a very heavy barrel, and the S&L action is also heavy, so the whole piece was 'cumbersome'. i was aware of the caliber, so knew what it was, and didn't really give it any consideration. i used to hunt lots then, but the largest game here is elk and moose; no need for that sort of 'thumper'. i can also recall that the stock was rather plain and clubby, as it needed to be. it had none of the snazzy shine of the later Weatherby stocks. possibly the whole rifle was built at S&L, for Weatherby, or possibly it was an S&L brand rifle, entirely, just happened to be in the Weatherby caliber.

thinking more about the gun retailers here in my younger years, there was a large mail order firm that served western Canada and they did sell the Weatherby line. so that's where the 378 would have been sourced from...(they also carried the S&L line of rifles). now an interesting question.... does anyone here know the approximate year that Weatherby stopped using those S&L actions for the LARGE calibers, and started mfg his own actions for them, instead?? or am i out to lunch about that?

Hey again there young man! Burning only a bit of "midnight oil, maybe, kinda.
    Apparently the Weatherby-connect S&L rifles were the Model 54J ("J" for Jäger = hunter)
    action... On steroids! It's commonly said in appeared on the market in '51. Perhaps so, less reliable estimates put it a bit later. There apparently weren't very many of this model/chambering combo made! That may account for why more aren't seen today. I believe that S&L Weatherby marched right along with such as their many FN actions. The .378 as something of a 'specialty gun'. That until intro of the Wby Austrian Sauer action in mid~ fifties.

I found an internet pix of a 378 S&L action reflecting model and serial number. Posted below as first pix. Contrast that to my 54J action nomenclature pix. Mine in 30-06. As to the Wby stock, ???. My '06, full rifle also in pix below too.

I was in Roy's shop on Firestone Blvd, in Southgate (greater LA Suburb) in latter fifties. Bought a Sako FN barrled action in 399 H&H with the ship rechambering to 300 Wby Mag.

As noted before, I'm a real fan of these S&L rifles, particularly the final version, Mdl 65 and 68 series! Super quality & unique super strong action. Of course using massive heat treated alloy tubular receivers. "Cut to fit" chamberings!

Well... done or lost point!
    Take care of self and big family up there!
    Best! All stay safe!
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schultz-Larsen- 378 Wby Mag Rifle.jpg  

R260-6.jpg  

R260-1U.jpg