g

Thread: g

Default g

Last edited by Luke 1; 08-01-2020 at 07:03 AM.

following........ and welcome to the boards

That is the "mother load" of all parts gun Mausers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I think I’m speechless 😂

I will say, and I don’t want to jump the gun here, the serial numbers on the bolt root look off to me. But I’m probably wrong, in fact I hope that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by 8mm_mauser View Post
    I think I’m speechless ��

I will say, and I don’t want to jump the gun here, the serial numbers on the bolt root look off to me. But I’m probably wrong, in fact I hope that I am.
    I agree, the original bolt numbers have been ground off. Too bad as that is a desirable bolt.

The 0,2 mark on the barrel base in photo #4 shows that it was an ordnance spare replacement done at a depot. As for the rest of the rifle being correct...?, it would take someone with more knowledge of depot reworks, or Gew98-K98k conversions than me to determine whats legit, and what may have been done latter. Stock doesn't seem to be matching, or renumbered to match from whats shown, which I would expect if German done.

Hi Stan 61 , In the same number 4 photo , what is the Stamp that looks like partial X on the bottom of the Receiver ? It’s all the way towards edge of photo . I noticed same stamp on another rifle that I have .

The "03" on the bayonet lug and rear sight base would be the last two digits of the rifle s/n that those parts were originally assigned to. That was common practice to just put the last two digits on some of the smaller components. The stock shows s/n 1803, so that should point to matching to that rifle. It's possible those parts got salvaged and reused at a depot, or were added at some point in time to your rifle. Not very well versed in depot reworks. The "X" on the bottom receiver is probably just a machining process inspection for one of the numerous steps in manufacture. I would guess all the other numbers and letters on bottom receiver to be the same for different procedures. I don't think anybody has deciphered any of them to which process/inspection they represent to my knowledge.

Thanks , interesting observation of the 03..

IMO, the bolt is probably period depot work. The depot would have numbered most or all of the other parts to match, so I'd guess the gun was found as a barreled action and restored with stock/bands/etc. from 1803 post-war, but who knows.

That IS NOT a depot "rework" It is a bubba parts gun!

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    That IS NOT a depot "rework" It is a bubba parts gun!
    care to elaborate as to how you "know" this to be true?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke 1 View Post
    Attachment 3700373
    Hi Stan 61 , I did notice an 03 on front of stock and rear sight base with same/ similar font . Not sure what that means ?
    front pic shown here . Rear sight base shown above in original post .
    anyways , it’s interesting to learn .

Just noticed the upper barrel step location and front sight base in your photo. I believe that is consistent with a cut down Gew 98 barrel. It also has the 0,2 mark found on ordnance spare barrels. I assume the Gew 98 length barrel may have been an unused spare that got cut down? Have any such barrels been seen before as a depot spare? The barrel, at least, does look to be depot replaced and got the matching receiver s/n, and new firing proof added.

Hi Stan 61 , any other pics you would like to see , should I break bolt down further ?
    Also noticed the line out tool used on the 3 stuck parts have consistent strike depth , width, and length . Of coarse the rear band looked a little more challenging to strike out .
    Last edited by Luke 1; 07-31-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Photos of the the front sight and muzzle might be nice. I was wondering if this rifle was built as a Gew 98M with a new spare barrel, then cut down to K98k length later, and by who? Interarms was a big producer of such cut down Gew 98M conversions. They USUALLY left the front sight almost flush with the muzzle on their work, which is easy to spot. From what I've read, cut down Gew 98 barrel conversions are known, but pretty rare. Most got new ordnance spare K98k barrels when converted. I think I'm with Ryan that the action and maybe the bolt could be German done. Not convinced about the rest of it.

You might also try posting this at the K98k Forum site. It would get seen by the most people familiar with such rifles.... http://www.k98kforum.com/forum.php

The front sight is for a VZ-24. No German rifle ever had a sight on a sleeve like that. I doubt any German armor would use a rifle with rust pits. Original armory converted GEW 98 rifles all had the armory district stamped o the receiver ring in roman numerals.

The front sight is for a VZ-24. No German rifle ever had a sight on a sleeve like that.
    It is certainly odd, but I wouldn't say it is impossible. Depots used the parts they had, but I would agree with you that this gun is not a "complete" rework and is little more than an interesting parts gun at this point.

I doubt any German armor would use a rifle with rust pits.
    Sure they did. My 27 1939 is a completely rebuilt rifle in new condition with a pitted receiver.

Original armory converted GEW 98 rifles all had the armory district stamped o the receiver ring in roman numerals.
    No they don't. Those rifles are not reworks or conversions, but "new" rifles built by depots from spare and recycled parts. Quite a lot of them are built on old Gew98 receivers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Receiver Top_01.JPG  

Default Re: "new" depot rifles

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    ... Those rifles are not reworks or conversions, but "new" rifles built by depots from spare and recycled parts. Quite a lot of them are built on old Gew98 receivers.
    Others were built from depot-specific blank receivers provided solely for these new rifle builds.

Notice the 7,91 caliber stamp on the barrel collar, over the original 0,2 depot barrel designation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	depot_receiver.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	3701069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geco-barrel.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	287.2 KB 
ID:	3701071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IX43.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	3701073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recvr-left.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	3701075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S-proof.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	3701077
    Last edited by gunhorde; 07-31-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mm_mauser View Post
    I think I’m speechless ��

I agree, the original bolt numbers have been ground off. Too bad as that is a desirable bolt.
    yeah, the underside looks like some nice Imperial stamps.

The front sight is for a VZ-24. No German rifle ever had a sight on a sleeve like that. I doubt any German armor would use a rifle with rust pits. Original armory converted GEW 98 rifles all had the armory district stamped o the receiver ring in roman numerals.
    The front sight is from a Gew. 98, pretty sure those were German rifles. The Gew. 98 front sight was mounted on a sleeve that when assembled was flush on the rifle. The K98k went to a front sight that was mounted on a sleeve that slipped over the barrel. looks like a converted Gew. 98 barrel to me. I will say the seam where the sight sleeve meets the barrel step does not look as neat as I would expect.

Post it on K98k forum and see what those folks think.

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    The front sight is from a Gew. 98, pretty sure those were German rifles. The Gew. 98 front sight was mounted on a sleeve that when assembled was flush on the rifle. The K98k went to a front sight that was mounted on a sleeve that slipped over the barrel. looks like a converted Gew. 98 barrel to me. I will say the seam where the sight sleeve meets the barrel step does not look as neat as I would expect.

Post it on K98k forum and see what those folks think.

I agree, that sight sleeve looks pretty sloppy.

Thanks everyone, and the suggestion to post over to k98 ,tried to delete this post , but looks like it only removed portions. admin, please feel free to delete remaining content.
    Last edited by Luke 1; Yesterday at 08:55 AM.

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Luke, can you at least try to rebuild the original post as best you can so that anyone who pulls up this thread in the future could have SOME idea about what was being discussed?

Knowledge is knowledge, and should not be destroyed on a whim.

This is the second most frustrating thing that can happen to posts here. It ranks just behind deleting the asking prices once an item gets sold on the WTS Forum.

hurt feelings?

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Quote Originally Posted by NRA View Post
    hurt feelings?

I figure it might have been. Sometimes we can be a little blunt here, and when you read something, it often comes across as much more negative than was intended.

Just frustrated that there could have been useful information to other new collectors in this thread, which is evidently now gone forever.

I also figure it is something of an insult to those that bothered to take the time to share their experience and post information to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I figure it might have been. Sometimes we can be a little blunt here, and when you read something, it often comes across as much more negative than was intended.

Just frustrated that there could have been useful information to other new collectors in this thread, which is evidently now gone forever.

I also figure it is something of an insult to those that bothered to take the time to share their experience and post information to this thread.

For whatever the reasons, this has happened before here. Not too long back an entire thread discussion got deleted by an OP. In some cases I think an OP wants to delete negative info as a prelude to selling and doesn't want that info out in the open. Not saying that is the case in this thread. I didn't see anything posted at K98k Forum yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan61 View Post
    For whatever the reasons, this has happened before here. Not too long back an entire thread discussion got deleted by an OP. In some cases I think an OP wants to delete negative info as a prelude to selling and doesn't want that info out in the open. Not saying that is the case in this thread. I didn't see anything posted at K98k Forum yet.
    Good point

Yeah it really sucks that it’s gone now. I saw and studied the original post well but I would have been nice to reference a photo when someone mentioned something.

Hopefully the OP is honest and just inexperienced. It’s ok bud!

"I figure it might have been. Sometimes we can be a little blunt here, "

I think you hit the nail on the head. And I have noticed this trend on this forum for a long time. Some people seem to think that if they have been collecting for a long time,
    they know it all, and are all to happy to shoot down a new collector.

WE should remember we were all new to the hobby at one time, and even being a long time collector does not mean you are always correct. I am not suggesting that if
    someone posts a rifle with problems, that those problems should not be pointed out, they should as that is how everyone learns. I think it is also important to point out why a
    certain feature is not correct, not just say it is wrong and leave the novice to guess.

Put yourself in the place of a new enthusiast, just acquired you first long awaited K98k, you google a collectors forum, find this one, and proudly post pictures of your new
    acquisition, only to be greeted with, "hump job",POS, Bubba special, etc. How would you feel? Your pride and joy has just been trashed, and you receive no knowledgeable feedback
    that you can use as a learning tool. Would you come back to this forum? There are ways to professionally point out errors in a rifle without verbally trashing it and driving away new members.
    As so many collectors age, we need all the new blood we can get to continue this hobby.

When I joined Gunboards many years ago, this was the premier K98k forum. Now there is much less activity, fewer new members posting, and many veteran members have migrated exclusively
    to the K98k forum. I do think the culture here has something to do with that.

I am sure many of you remember the late John Wall, although K98ks were not his primary interest, his overall all knowledge of military mausers of all types was extraordinary. IF anyone had earned the
    right to be a bit smug, it would be him. Yet I never saw a post where he responded to anyone, novice or advanced collector/historian, with anything but courtesy and professionalism. I think we should all, myself included, try to emulate his approach.

a very well stated comment, runner; agree 100%. Mr. Wall was probably a major factor in this forum's success. when i first started reading his comments, several years b4 i registered to be a member, i was in awe at his knowledge and his pleasant courtesy to all who asked questions. reading his stuff was a major factor in my deciding to register.