Greener Police Gun from HKP (Hongkong Police)

Thread: Greener Police Gun from HKP (Hongkong Police)

Default Greener Police Gun from HKP (Hongkong Police)

Itīs a very nice and rare piece I believe ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212007.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	3700315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212025.jpg 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	3700317Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212100.jpg 
Size:	587.3 KB 
ID:	3700319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212300.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	621.1 KB 
ID:	3700321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212240.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	3700323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212137.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	652.7 KB 
ID:	3700325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212204.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	725.3 KB 
ID:	3700327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212225.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	665.4 KB 
ID:	3700329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200729_212325.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	574.9 KB 
ID:	3700331 ... it came to Germany in 1979, as you can see on the stamp. Looking unused!

Yes ,very nice condition...wouldnt be surprised if some are still in use somewhere in the Commonwealth.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Yes ,very nice condition...wouldnt be surprised if some are still in use somewhere in the Commonwealth.

I saw a pic of this rifle from Burma/Myanmar and Iīm nearly sure, they are still in use there ...! Iīm very pleased about this!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Very cool!

Most HKP stuff I've seen has had pretty hard use.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

Curious, Birmingham proof for 1968. Must have gone from UK to Germany later.

Best I’ve seen ever.
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

It is by far the best preserved Greener Police Gun I have seen. No doubt there were "carrying" guns, mostly pistols, but this one probably spent all of its life in the armoury.

Hong Kong was one of the customers which used the ordinary 12ga cartridge. It is quite a tight bore, but one acceptable in a sporting shotgun. The Hong Kong police were a well trained and disciplined force, and with different ends in view, probably still is. For the British officers there was a dismissable offence of having a lifestyle not explicable by his recognised resources, suggesting an attitude unusual in the East. There was also little or no game-shooting in Hong Kong, and certainly none out of reach of curious ears. So there was little chance of acquiring undocumented cartridges and using them for hunting or score-settling.

Quote Originally Posted by staffy View Post
    Curious, Birmingham proof for 1968. Must have gone from UK to Germany later.

Thankīs for the info about 1968! ... and right, the german proof mark is from 1979. Maybe it was never delivered to HK? When did these were produced an delivered to HK?

Been looking one for years but no luck. That one is certainly striking, does it really look that purplish? Wow. Very neat.
    ‘Give’em hell, Pike’

It raises the question of when did Greener stop selling these guns to HK? I've seen mention they were still being produced until around 1975, but the HKP number should provide the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Been looking one for years but no luck. That one is certainly striking, does it really look that purplish? Wow. Very neat.

I just made some pic with my smartphone, yes, itīs looking so unusual purplish, without any trick! :-) ... thankīs for your compliment.
    Iīve a Finn. M39 with barrel from Belgium, and itīs looking a little bit like this too. So I believe it has something to do with the Nickel (?) rate inside the steel?! ... if I remember right?!
    Last edited by snoopy_3006; 08-01-2020 at 06:03 AM.

It raises the question of when did Greener stop selling these guns to HK? I've seen mention they were still being produced until around 1975, but the HKP number should provide the answer.

Yes, I thought about the HKP number, so it must be in service in HK. Unbelievable in this condition.

Sometime before HKP became RHKP in 1967?
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

the color is called Plum,

sometimes from the metallurgy, and sometimes from the temps of the bluing salts,

or a combo, including age

(some new factory finish Rugers will go plum over time)
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Is that red colour the metal? I thought it might be some kind of lacquer. But here, in about the best source I have found on the Greener police guns, a very similar-sounding case hardening colour is described on guns made by Webley. I don't believe yours is all Webley, since these were reckoned of inferior quality, but it is possible that they inherited parts when they took over production, from 1965 to 1968, from Greener.

I doubt if they would have stamped a case-hardened receiver, which would be hard on the tool and might produce surface cracking. It is actually qite hard to produce that beautiful marbled colouring we associate with the process. Most gunmakers used their own secret processes, with mixtures of bone and horn chippngs and quenching in water aerated with bubbles. So a single colour might be achievable. Could there be Webley markings on top of the barrel?

Possibly there is no such thing as firearm research which hasn't got the wrong end of at least one minor stick or other. and it seems cuncertain whether the quoted 1964 was the end of police gun manufacture, or the designation EG. I seem to remember hearing that police gun manufacture ended in the 1960s, which sounds like there was no serious construction programme of other than the civilian GP, but perhaps what collectors term a parts cleanup by Webley.

I have, long ao, been shown a civilian 12ga shotgun stamped EG, with a slightly slimmer forend than a GP I used to own. But I didn't take note of any signs that might have indicated whether it was built as such, or a subsequent conversion.

Richard Milner's archive does offer copies from many Webley record books, at a price, although "Can't find anything" is free. They only mention records for the later part of Webley GP production, and as is said in the SSAA website, serial numbering is likely to be too confused to be of much use. I think they worked their parts bins like a civil service intray, putting things on top and taking them off the top.

https://www.armsresearch.co.uk/The%2...20Archive.html

For anybody who wants to make shells for a forked-pin EG, I don't believe the current Brazilian all-brass cases would be safe. If they re anything like some 24ga I have, they are too close to balloon-head shape to turn the necessary groove without leaving the brass paper-thin. Or with a small brass roundel in hand, and the word "Oops!" on lips. Making a new pin with the side prongs flush with the breech face might work, but the only way to find out if it has the inertia to tesist bulging of the brass is to try it. I doubt if it would be dangerous, but even slight bulging would inhibit opening of the breech, but a loading press wouldn't unbulge it.