Tell me about slings (carbines)

Thread: Tell me about slings (carbines)

Default Tell me about slings (carbines)

Needing help again. I found this for around $50 all in. Does that seem right or can an appropriate older sling be found for less. And does the picture look right for one of the Buds or DK carbines we have been talking about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sling.jpg  

go to www.il91.it, once there go to Dotazioni personali and look at the slings he posted there, nothing like the one you posted is listed

Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

Quote Originally Posted by 1886lebel View Post
    go to www.il91.it, once there go to Dotazioni personali and look at the slings he posted there, nothing like the one you posted is listed

Patrick
    Whoa! It is a good thing I asked. I will check that reference. Thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Just noticed this. It looks very much like a sling I have on a Steyr M.95 long rifle. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

There is some similarity to one I found on the Italian website. I think we would need to see the marking to be sure. Here are both side by side. The buckle is different. Different but; a bit similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sling-sbs.jpg  

Your sling looks very similar to a post WW2 Belgian FN 49 sling.... http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/belgium_fn49_sling.htm Check length and width to compare to that one.

I have also seen some similar listed as generic Mauser slings. It's a fairly common type that probably saw use on numerous rifles from different countries.

I think you nailed it. I did not buy it. I would say wrong identification by seller and too much money. What a shock! What is that line in Casablanca, I am shocked to find out there is gambling in here!

Check libertytreecollectors.com from time to time. They have stocked a variety of slings over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
    There is some similarity to one I found on the Italian website. I think we would need to see the marking to be sure. Here are both side by side. The buckle is different. Different but; a bit similar.
    Those two slings are way different, the Carcano one has a tongue type buckle and has a roller in it and other is a sliding buckle with no tongue or roller
    Here is one of mine. it is white and is the type used on the police issued firearms, this one is on my Moschetto Model 1891 that was issued to either the Carabinieri Reali or the Polizia dell'Africa Italiana

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94624925_3199541606746899_4810139328845971456_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	3700551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94705409_3199556600078733_3035987758771339264_n (1).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	3700553
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

lebel, I grabbed that photo.

staffy, I check Liberty Tree. I keep an watch on them.

On a positive note, I was gifted some clips from a local shop. Not a big money saving, but; it saved me another order and delay.

Looks very similar to Italian Vetterli slings. They were 45.25 inches by 1.4 inches. Brass buckle and stud

Original Italian Vetterli sling. Square brass buckle is easy identifier. Different contractors produced very minor variations to buckle and stud.
    Twenty years ago I purchased five such slings for about $7 each from a large cardboard box marked 'Italian Verelli Slings'. Now I wish I had bought twenty!
    Sarie.