Sad News

Thread: Sad News

Default Sad News

The bayonet collecting community lost one of its best. Bill Porter (forum ID: porterkids) passed away yesterday. Such a good person, so knowledgeable and always willing to help other collectors. Many of you know him from his participation here and from his writings published on the usmilitaryknives.com website. I learned so much from him. It is a shock to know that he is gone. He will be sorely missed.
    worldbayonets.com | Bayonet Collector's Network (BCN) | Society of American Bayonet Collectors | Life Member NRA

Follow us on Facebook! facebook.com/worldbayonets

The bayonet cannot be abolished for the reason, if for no other, that it is the sole and exclusive embodiment of that willpower which, alone, both in war and everyday life, attains its object.—General M. I. Dragomirov

Very sad, I only knew him through his postings here, but he was a very knowledgeable individual who always took the time to help educate others.

Condolences to his family.
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

God bless his transfiguration amen
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

My condolences to Bill’s family and friends. May he rest in peace.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

I just learned of Bill's passing a short while ago. Tragic pretty much sums it up. For over 15 years I always enjoyed our conversations...either in person when we used to talk at the SOS, or on the phone. Bill was always free with information regarding our shared interest in the MPBS M9 and bayonets in general. His intention was to eventually write the definitive collector book on the MPBS M9. Hopefully, Bill's efforts will not be in vain and another will pick up the torch and see it thru...his legacy to the collecting fraternity.

His knowledge and presence here added a lot and he will be sorely missed.

We'll keep him and his Family in our prayers. He will indeed be missed.

I did not know him but read his posts here. Blessings to him and his family.

I had multiple dealings with Bill over the years. My best memory of this fine gentleman is this...
    Some years ago I coordinated a sale of a small publication of a bayonet book for members of a small group (the BCN, I'm sure some alumni are here). Bill contacted me about shipping options and somewhere along the conversation I mentioned a local 10-year old girl with a passion for stamp collecting (I truly don't remember how that came up).
    Bill sent me a large envelope STUFFED with American stamps from the 20s through the 70s- perhaps 200 stamps- and asked me to give them to her, which I did.
    She sent him a thank you card and I hope (sure) he appreciated it.
    RIP Bill...

RIP
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

He was excellent collector, great man. RIP.

Always happy to share his knowledge and discuss ideas. Though we never met, we had some interesting discussions over the years. It is very sad to hear of this gentlemans passing.

Thank you Bill.

May you rest in peace.
    Pax Quaeritur Bello

Oliver Cromwell, 1599 - 1658

Deeply sorry to read this news. Like many here, I never met him but often read and learnt from his posts.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by marysdad View Post
    The bayonet collecting community lost one of its best. Bill Porter (forum ID: porterkids) passed away yesterday. Such a good person, so knowledgeable and always willing to help other collectors. Many of you know him from his participation here and from his writings published on the usmilitaryknives.com website. I learned so much from him. It is a shock to know that he is gone. He will be sorely missed.
    A friend of mine just sent me this URL for more on Bill Porter:

https://themonroesun.com/william-por...ed-by-example/

A good life well lived. RIP.

RIP Bill

Man, I just got into collecting and and this is the first thing I see, wish I could've talked to him. May he rest.

"He who serves his fellows is, of all his fellows, the greatest" E. Urner Goodman