Need The Help of a Master Stock Maker/Woodworker

Thread: Need The Help of a Master Stock Maker/Woodworker

Default Need The Help of a Master Stock Maker/Woodworker

I have a Springfield Armory, Inc. M14 "BM59 style" folding stock (selector switch cutout and all) that has the forward sling swivel mounted on the bottom of the stock. I would like to see that forward sling swivel relocated to the left side of the stock. I was able to remove the sling swivel from its original position by carefully drilling out the rivets from the inside. And that is where my skill set ended. That left an ugly flat with two hole on the forward underside of the stock.

So here what I see needs to be done. I am great with ideas, just do not have the tools or skills to execute them. A "dutchman" needs to be glue onto that flat of the original front sling swivel location with two dowels in the holes for additional strength and then contoured to the stock. Next, a flat needs to be created on the left side of the stock in the same front to rear location as the original. The sling swivel is to be mounted using button head socket screws screwed into a threaded mounting plate inletted into the side of the barrel channel.

Can anyone help me?

Angry Bubba Beavers Need Not Apply!
    Last edited by The Wizard; 07-31-2020 at 10:11 PM.
    The Wizard
    Air Dropable AND Ground Recoverable
    Necat Omnes! Deus Suos Agnoscet.
    The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Do you want it to look like this?: https://www.impactguns.com/beretta-b...ags-hard-case/

or this: https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-jeka...0.1280.JPG?c=2

Seems like what you need is the proper band with swivel. Is that not available?

The from the trigger guard forward my stock is ALL M14. The pistol grip and folding stock is BM59. The BM59 front band and sling swivel is not compatable with the M14 stock. I need to move the M14 front sling swivle from the bottom to the left side of the stock. to make it look like this: https://classic.gunauction.com/searc...emnum=14383853 Can you or someone you know do the work?
    The Wizard

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Can't view without logging in thus setting up an account. Don't want to do that. Can you copy the pic and post? I can do most anything within reason. You might do better just having a swivel tig'd to the side of the band and leaving the bottom swivel.

Bob
    Last edited by BobVZ; 07-31-2020 at 07:43 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	3701287

This is NOT EXACTLY what I want but close enough so you get the idea.

I have given this matter a lot of thought. I know exactly what I want and I will not settle for anything else. I hope you understand.

You really need to be very familiar with the wood M14 stock to know what needs to be done to get looking like the picture.
    The Wizard

Pretty straight forward job. I hope you find someone to do it.

Bob

Should be a few gunsmiths to ask in your area, that would be a good starting point.

Whoever you find is probably going to quote you a couple hundred to do the work. That's less than what I would quote, but then I'm too busy with what I do now to take on jobs like this unless its a favor for a neighbor or something like that. Jobs like this seem simple enough but they tend to be a lot of work to get them to look good.

There is a member M1Army over on the M14 Forum who does excellent work on repairing and restoration of M14 stock,including some of the finest refinishing on them.If your not a member I can see if he's interested.
    I would take the old sling location and dovetail the. Sides and flatten the bottom ,make a tight fitting patch from an original stock or like wood.
    I've got pieces of walnut and birch M14 stock forends just for repairs I could send him if needed .But he probably already has plenty.

Unfortunatly I just don't have time myself

Quote Originally Posted by IRON WORKER View Post
    There is a member M1Army over on the M14 Forum who does excellent work on repairing and restoration of M14 stock,including some of the finest refinishing on them.If your not a member I can see if he's interested.
    I would take the old sling location and dovetail the. Sides and flatten the bottom ,make a tight fitting patch from an original stock or like wood.
    I've got pieces of walnut and birch M14 stock forends just for repairs I could send him if needed .But he probably already has plenty.

Unfortunatly I just don't have time myself
    I have sent Mr. M1Army a PM over on the M14 forum but as of today I have received no reply.

UPDATE: Connected with M!Army yesterday (3 August).
    Last edited by The Wizard; Yesterday at 06:11 AM.
    The Wizard