Phone Book Penetration Test: Wet Or Dry?

Thread: Phone Book Penetration Test: Wet Or Dry?

Default Phone Book Penetration Test: Wet Or Dry?

Today I was poking around in some forgotten nook (or was it a cranny?) and found a bunch of old phone books. I'd like to stack them into a cardboard box and shoot various 7.62x25 rounds into them to see if today's commercial S&B will penetrate as well as some of the ComBloc surplus I have, including some steel core stuff.
    I'm wondering if the phone books should be wet or dry for this experiment. Does it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleharp View Post
    Today I was poking around in some forgotten nook (or was it a cranny?) and found a bunch of old phone books. I'd like to stack them into a cardboard box and shoot various 7.62x25 rounds into them to see if today's commercial S&B will penetrate as well as some of the ComBloc surplus I have, including some steel core stuff.
    I'm wondering if the phone books should be wet or dry for this experiment. Does it make a difference?
    If you just want to see which penetrates “more” than another?..it should work either wet or dry. The commercial S&B should have the highest MV and drill pretty deep.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Wet or dry will certainly make a difference in total penetration.

Before ballistics gel came along, wet telephone books was widely used as a stand-in for 'meat' in penetration tests.

You should also get less penetration through soaked paper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The wet book thing has value for expanding bullets. Worth the trouble and mess if you have hollow points. For judging different FMJ bullets I don’t know if it is worth the extra trouble. I used to put a water jug in front of a box of dry magazines for HP Pistol bullets. The jug expands the bullet and the magazine box catches it.

Interested in just how good a Phone book killer the 7.62x25 is. It should do well!

I always heard of it as being soaking wet thoroughly through & through. Bundled with twine & soaked for some time to allow full & even penetration.
    It used to be called "Wetpack" even.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

I guess it depends, do the phone books you encounter in life come wet or dry ? If you are just comparing ammo- it will not really matter . Phone books are not really a good substitute for anything other than stacks of thin paper. You could shoot into 2x4s, milk jugs, or concrete and come up with other "what is better in ..." for ammo. You may be surprised at how much the bullets go through - I would have a stop plate of metal at the back in case the bullet goes further than you plan.....

Funny - story - MANY years ago, I was a a guys house and he tested guns in the basement. Shot into big chunks of wood - as near as I could figure - he did not check the wood- so he shows me a ppsh-41 and fires a few bursts into the wood. As we go to inspect - we see light coming in behind the wood - and there was a new "window" shot through the concrete block foundation to the house.... the bullets had cut through and managed to break out the block.

Not phone books:

https://youtu.be/cgfHTCgSRuc

And he doesn't try it with x25....
    But you could!
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by MG08/15 View Post
    I guess it depends, do the phone books you encounter in life come wet or dry ? If you are just comparing ammo- it will not really matter . Phone books are not really a good substitute for anything other than stacks of thin paper. You could shoot into 2x4s, milk jugs, or concrete and come up with other "what is better in ..." for ammo. You may be surprised at how much the bullets go through - I would have a stop plate of metal at the back in case the bullet goes further than you plan.....

Funny - story - MANY years ago, I was a a guys house and he tested guns in the basement. Shot into big chunks of wood - as near as I could figure - he did not check the wood- so he shows me a ppsh-41 and fires a few bursts into the wood. As we go to inspect - we see light coming in behind the wood - and there was a new "window" shot through the concrete block foundation to the house.... the bullets had cut through and managed to break out the block.
    When I was 12 I tried to catch a 30-40 Krag Surplus 220gr FMJ in a box of phone books...it took A LOT of phone books, a WHOLE lot!

I have a (free) alternative.
    5-liter wine boxes!
    If anyone in your social group drinks boxed wine ask them for the empties!
    Just wiggle the "tap" & its push-fit plug out & rinse.
    Store for future need.
    Fill with water re insert tap & plug & stack em at the range! They even come with little carry handles!
    This is a 125 Gr.357 at 1350 FPS test, for rifle you'll need several more.
    Unfired & recovered Hornady XTP.
    https://i.imgur.com/k0AbIqZ.jpg
    Last edited by plonker; 08-02-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.

Do both side by side and you have comparison and databases both results!
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!