SP 1 goes for $1,995 at July Rock Island Auction
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: SP 1 goes for $1,995 at July Rock Island Auction

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    194

    Default SP 1 goes for $1,995 at July Rock Island Auction

    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...utomatic-rifle

    Estimate Price: $1,200 - $1,800
    Sold for $1,995.00

    "Rating Definition ND - VERY GOOD- in working condition, 80% finish or better, appreciable wear on working surfaces 80% - 89%, no corrosion or pitting, minor surface dents or scratches. Wood condition commensurable with percent of finish with dings and dents associated with 80% - 89% gun."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I bought mine in 1978 for $300. Imagine if I put that in the S&P 500 instead. ;-) <rolleyes>

    I'm not rich, my heirs are rich. Or maybe not - that's Ol' Number 1 for this collector, and they may bury me with it. <grin>
    All humans are weaponeers.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2 View Post
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...utomatic-rifle

    Estimate Price: $1,200 - $1,800
    Sold for $1,995.00

    "Rating Definition ND - VERY GOOD- in working condition, 80% finish or better, appreciable wear on working surfaces 80% - 89%, no corrosion or pitting, minor surface dents or scratches. Wood condition commensurable with percent of finish with dings and dents associated with 80% - 89% gun."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I bought mine in 1978 for $300. Imagine if I put that in the S&P 500 instead. ;-) <rolleyes>

    I'm not rich, my heirs are rich. Or maybe not - that's Ol' Number 1 for this collector, and they may bury me with it. <grin>


    Interesting ...! I bought my SP1 (from 1966) a few months ago for 1.680 € in Germany. Iīd good luck!! In 2013 there was another auction with an early SP1 for 3.500 € and a later for more than 5.000 €! Whatīs the number of yours? ... you bought for $300? But donīt forget, you could buy in 1978 much more for $300 than now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie
    Posts
    12,047

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2 View Post
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...utomatic-rifle

    Estimate Price: $1,200 - $1,800
    Sold for $1,995.00

    "Rating Definition ND - VERY GOOD- in working condition, 80% finish or better, appreciable wear on working surfaces 80% - 89%, no corrosion or pitting, minor surface dents or scratches. Wood condition commensurable with percent of finish with dings and dents associated with 80% - 89% gun."

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I bought mine in 1978 for $300. Imagine if I put that in the S&P 500 instead. ;-) <rolleyes>

    I'm not rich, my heirs are rich. Or maybe not - that's Ol' Number 1 for this collector, and they may bury me with it. <grin>
    I looked ALL OVER my SP1 (about 1973 production), and couldn't find even one toothpick's worth of 'wood' on it. They gotta be talking plastic.

    I would have to rate mine at about 98% external condition (maybe 95% internal), and I ain't selling mine, neither.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Default

    RIA also has a pretty high buyers premium - over 25% iirc. That would put the price near $2500 before shipping. My '72 SP1 is looking good!

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisJoe View Post
    RIA also has a pretty high buyers premium - over 25% iirc. That would put the price near $2500 before shipping. My '72 SP1 is looking good!
    +1

    My 74 with original Colt x3 scope is looking good too, I consider Rock Island a giant rip-off.



    This one cost me 1.5K from Gun-broker in 2015 . RIA can take their 25% buyers fee and shove it.
    HDH.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Beach Va, not Va Beach
    Posts
    46,191

    Default

    my understanding it the price shown includes fees and premiums on RIA auctions,


    price is just a bit high for what they sell for locally for that vintage, and slightly high for what they sold for (using completed auctions, SP1 1978 as a search ) on Gunbroker
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StLouisJoe View Post
    RIA also has a pretty high buyers premium - over 25% iirc. That would put the price near $2500 before shipping. My '72 SP1 is looking good!
    SLJ (or others), are you sure the "realized" price does not include the premium, and that it's over 25%? I think you are probably right on the first. The second seems high but I don't know.

    ETA - I see Lyman partially answered.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The real price is what the final buyer pays. I suspect many of the "sellers" in the auction have joined the great majority, with the monetary rewards of their discrimination and good taste now going to heirs (after lawyers and auctioneers).

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Serial of my rifle bought new in 1978 is about 10k under this one. Probably <500 rounds through it, fired in a galaxy far away and long ago. I'm looking at it right now and still smiling.

    In early 1978 when I bought this gold was around $200 an ounce or less. Two years later it topped out at $875 - a level it still has not surpassed in Consumer Price Index terms.

    One 1978 dollar equals $3.95 now. I was right - the S&P would have been better. Glad that kid intuited that life is more than just numbers on a brokerage statement. :-)
    Last edited by Tempest2; 08-01-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    All humans are weaponeers.

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2 View Post
    SLJ (or others), are you sure the "realized" price does not include the premium, and that it's over 25%? I think you are probably right on the first. The second seems high but I don't know.

    ETA - I see Lyman partially answered.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

    The real price is what the final buyer pays. I suspect many of the "sellers" in the auction have joined the great majority, with the monetary rewards of their discrimination and good taste now going to heirs (after lawyers and auctioneers).

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Serial of my rifle bought new in 1978 is about 10k under this one. Probably <500 rounds through it, fired in a galaxy far away and long ago. I'm looking at it right now and still smiling.

    In early 1978 when I bought this gold was around $200 an ounce or less. Two years later it topped out at $875 - a level it still has not surpassed in Consumer Price Index terms.

    One 1978 dollar equals $3.95 now. I was right - the S&P would have been better. Glad that kid intuited that life is more than just numbers on a brokerage statement. :-)
    Yeah, I stand corrected. Here's the germane FAQ from the RIA site...

    What is the “Buyer’s Premium”?
    A buyer’s premium is a percentage added to your winning bid. It’s how auction houses pay the bills. At Rock Island Auction Company, the buyer’s premium is 15% if you pay by cash, check, or wire transfer. If paying by credit card, the premium is 18.5%.

    The Aug 19 RIA auction on Proxibid lists a 21.5% BP. I would've sworn it was higher. They must be suffering some backlash over that.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NC Mountains
    Posts
    7,737

    Default

    Seems $1800-2000 is the current price on these from what I've seen. A few years ago, $1500-1600. WW1/WW2/Korea is still very popular but it's starting to turn to cold war/vietnam era.

    When 91/30s were $100. People said "those were $69 two years ago this is nuts."
    Then they reached $200.. "Those were $100 two years ago, this is nuts."
    Then they reached $300.. "Those were $200 two years ago, this is nuts."


    Imagine where the SP1s(Especially the pre 1975 rifles) will be in another couple years. Then there will be another thread like this "SP1 sell for $4000" and you'll have people posting pictures of theirs with "back in 2020 I paid 2000 for mine!"
    Jack of all milsurps, master of none.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Sometimes the Colt juice is just as strong as the HK juice.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Beach Va, not Va Beach
    Posts
    46,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
    Seems $1800-2000 is the current price on these from what I've seen. A few years ago, $1500-1600. WW1/WW2/Korea is still very popular but it's starting to turn to cold war/vietnam era.

    When 91/30s were $100. People said "those were $69 two years ago this is nuts."
    Then they reached $200.. "Those were $100 two years ago, this is nuts."
    Then they reached $300.. "Those were $200 two years ago, this is nuts."


    Imagine where the SP1s(Especially the pre 1975 rifles) will be in another couple years. Then there will be another thread like this "SP1 sell for $4000" and you'll have people posting pictures of theirs with "back in 2020 I paid 2000 for mine!"


    this,


    and I still get some folks,,


    used to be I could buy a SKS and 1000 round of ammo for $100ea (or less) back in the day


    I politely remind them old man USETABE passed a good while ago
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •