Mosin receiver - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mosin receiver

Interesting project decision, but let me play devils advocate for one sec , and I know its too late as the project has already started. Why not just sell the rifle with the shot out barrel, and the NOS barrel and get your self a like New m39 unissued. There are many out there and can be found easily. It would save you money and hold its value than pay for all the labor to basically do what the Finnish did 70+ years ago?

I know its too late, but i guess if you got money to burn..

Quote Originally Posted by sarco789 View Post
    Sorry, coppertales. I have an unfortunate tendency to reply without any indication of whom Iím addressing. My last post was to you.
    No problem. I have has some formal gunsmith training so that is why I like to restore guns if I can. I don't have the tools to replace a barrel or the headspace tools. I just fix and restore to shooting condition. Mostly it is restoring a bubba chopped rifle back to military configuration or to repair a civilian gun to shooting condition.

Spaxspore, I’m not particularly interested in Finnish Mosins other than Civil Guard designs. I’ve owned M39’s and they are excellent shooters, but they are derivative of the M28/30 and just don’t hold my interest compared to them. Yeah, the ball is rolling.

coppertales, yeah I keep wondering when I’ll get training myself. I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the local gunsmith. And he’s too busy to take

coppertales, yeah I keep wondering when I’ll get training myself. I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get to the local gunsmith. And he’s too busy to take
    calls - too busy to take calls.

I received my gunsmith training at Trinidad St Jr College back in 62-64. I was not a gunsmith major but I took a few classes and just about everyone in the dorm was a gunnie. They taught me alot. I have used what I learned to this day. I just don't have the tools to do any heavy gunsmith work. Besides, I am 77 now and not long from the time when I will be circling the drain. My glaucoma is taking my eyesight away so fine detail, like little screw are fast becoming hard to do.

“Circling the drain” - never heard it put quite that way before.
    Yeah Dad’s pushing 90 himself and CRS. And he spends a lot of time in bed. But he still gets out of it by his own power. And I’ll be there to help him change when the time comes...

Not a die-hard collector myself and completely understand. I do this sort of thing on a regular basis.
    Satisfaction of using things which may go to waste and enjoying the process. Most times I save money over just buying a new item.
    A hobby! Best of luck with it and please share the results.

Well take pics of your progress on the build and share them...

Thanks sharptonn.
    Doing it piecemeal, so the financial impact won’t be so much of a shock. But will post images as it progresses. Hadn’t thought of it at the time, or I’d have photographed the receiver after stripping it/before taking it to the professional.

That’s the plan reiver. Consider it a tribute to the ingenuity of the Finnish Civil Guard.

Two things I haven’t mentioned before: 1) I plan to have the leaf drilled and tapped at the slide stop and a screw installed for a micro-elevation control, and 2) spoiler alert! - Kochetov.
    How about that for you purists?

That’s the plan reiver. Consider it a tribute to the ingenuity of the Finnish Civil Guard.

Two things I haven’t mentioned before: 1) I plan to have the leaf drilled and tapped at the slide stop and a screw installed for a micro-elevation control, and 2) spoiler alert! - Kochetov.
    How about that for you purists?
    You are doing what they did.... re barreling an old receiver with a shot out or old bore..... same thing.... just change your name to Ilmari and maybe the nay sayers will come on board.....I guess if I were a double secret probation Mosin Nagant aficionado I'd call Finn rifles Bubba's....

Thanks reiver. So what’s your focus? I suppose most guys in here want more M39’s. You?

I am enamored of Soviet WW2 era snipers for shooting/using.... I have a PE/PEM/PU that I reload for and shoot regularly... I enjoy the history and the specifics of each rifle and gents here like Ratnik and others provide great info as I enjoy the details too.
    It is a historical using tool.... if I can't shoot it (and it shoots well) I won't have it...no wall hangers.
    I sold my very nice M39 to a gent here...and I've sold my MN carbines.... snipers, that's it for the MN.
    However, I enjoy others enjoying all of the different MN's....and, if I can find an originally marked Cossack MN I'd go for that...

There is a guy in here haven’t from in a few days but he argued that there are a lot less expensive alternatives. He wasn’t particularly diplomatic about it, either. At least one guy thought my concern about hardness was a little weird - BTW: weird=interesting, normal=boring. Just ask the ghost of Simo.

[QUOTE=reiver1;10417977]I am enamored of Soviet WW2 era snipers for shooting/using.... I have a PE/PEM/PU that I reload for and shoot regularly... I enjoy the history and the specifics of each rifle and gents here like Ratnik and others provide great info as I enjoy the details too.
    It is a historical using tool.... if I can't shoot it (and it shoots well) I won't have it...no wall hangers.
    I sold my very nice M39 to a gent here...and I've sold my MN carbines.... snipers, that's it for the MN.
    However, I enjoy others enjoying all of the different MN's....and, if I can find an originally marked Cossack MN I'd go for that...[/QUOTE

My eye used to love the reticle in WWII European scopes. Since viewing the Dragunov, I’m spoiled. To the point of adapting it to bolt actions.I have a Kochetov style mount with a Weaver rail on it. Looks like I’ll be ordering again from the good folks at Bear Optics. This time it will be for a Weaver mounted PO scope.

Reiver, you weren’t by any chance at Johnson’s picking up a PEM rig last week, were you?

Not me....I could go for a PSL tho speaking of dif scopes

I can remember seeing Dragunov’s at shows selling at prices within my range. Maybe I need to start going to shows again...

I can remember seeing Dragunov’s at shows selling at prices within my range. Maybe I need to start going to shows again...
    I don't know what your price range is but that rifle is way beyond my price range now days.

coppertales, the word “was” in my statement is VERY important. We’re talking mid to late 90’s here. Definitely not today. Not that interested in autoloaders anyway. The best feature of the Dragunov system is the reticle, in my opinion.

It’s another good day here. Just took delivery of a ‘40 M28/30 with a 2 piece stock - my first, not counting the replacement stock for the build. My ‘35 one piece is still my first/favorite. Plus it has the most battle damage. Plus trench art. If only I understood the story she’s trying to tell me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12