Mosin receiver
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin receiver

Default Mosin receiver

Hello everyone. I have a hex receiver that just went to the local gunsmith to have what’s left of the original barrel removed and replaced with a Finnish barrel. I already removed the finish before taking it to him and inspected it as best I could. He said he’d thoroughly blast it and inspect it before doing anything else with it - just in case of a serious compromise, such as a crack. Assuming it survives the barrel removal process and is crack-free and otherwise useable, would there be any harm in re-hardening it? Thanks in advance.

I can't help but wonder "Why?"
    Looking to buy Finnish M28s, M28/30s, M24s, and M27s

Also looking for any Finnish matching M91/30s!!!!!! PM me

Do you collect Finnish Mosins, Stopsign32v?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nope, why would anyone on this site? And I wasn't talking about from a collecting standpoint, I was talking from a financial standpoint. That's a good bit of money to invest in...Well a used gun still. So I still have to ask "Why?"

It would only make sense to a handful of Finnish Mosin collectors, so I won’t try to explain further here. Do you happen to know where I could find the proper forum? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I can't help but wonder "Why?"
    I am with him.

Ignoring the weirdness of the project as a whole.
    A competent gunsmith should be able to remove the barrel with out doing the bolt torch technique, so there should be no change in the receivers temper and thus no reason to re-temper it.

Quote Originally Posted by sarco789 View Post
    It would only make sense to a handful of Finnish Mosin collectors, so I won’t try to explain further here. Do you happen to know where I could find the proper forum? Thanks.
    This is the Forum most Finn collectors hang out on, including me since I'm a Finnish Mosin collector almost exclusively and what your doing doesn't make sense to me so perhaps you can enlighten us a bit? It sounds like your investing quite a bit of money on what will in the end be just a parts gun with no collector value.

I am interested in why this would be of interest to a collector....it will be neither Russian nor Finn when you complete this...it may be a fun rifle for you and a project but I can't see the Finn collector angle.

There are Finn collectors here who are very well versed, some who live in Finland ..... so you are in the correct area but your collector purpose is beyond me.

I shared Stop’s lack of understanding before you replied but I can’t help but be even more curious now. I have been collecting Finn Mosins since the ‘70s and even though they barely rank of the hierarchy of my favorite “specialties” there are frankly very few (publicized) collections that leave me feeling humbled. I am also about as serious as one can be about the collection and study of military firearms.

With that said I hope you will share whatever it is that you are holding back. And I say that not in hopes of criticizing your answer or to draw you into an argument but because of my genuine and sincere curiosity.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Thanks for all the responses.
    I never said it was for the purpose of collecting. I happen to be both a collector and a shooter.
    The Finnish solution of repurposing Mosin receivers by replacing mediocre or shot out barrels with ones capable of excellence is, in my opinion, primarily what makes Finnish Mosins so collectible. But if one has the means to continue in that tradition by making one as faithful to the originals as possible, why not?

Ok, that's a horse of a different color....if you hadn't mentioned collector in ref. to the modification there would have been no query.
    Do you have an original period Finn barrel?

A ‘42 M39 Civil Guard that looks like it was never mounted...

Thanks for all the responses.
    I never said it was for the purpose of collecting. I happen to be both a collector and a shooter.
    The Finnish solution of repurposing Mosin receivers by replacing mediocre or shot out barrels with ones capable of excellence is, in my opinion, primarily what makes Finnish Mosins so collectible. But if one has the means to continue in that tradition by making one as faithful to the originals as possible, why not?

Because it is literally a waste of money. The Finnish rebuild Mosin Nagants to defend their country the best they could with what they could use, not because they were bored. If you want a good shooter go get a $300 Savage Axis and have fun. Just doesn't make sense to me... When will people understand these old milsurp rifles are best left alone?

It wasn’t me who botched the barrel on this receiver, Stopsign. What better way to use the receiver?

It wasn’t me who botched the barrel on this receiver, Stopsign. What better way to use the receiver?
    I still wouldn't invest money into a lost cause

reiver1, my last post was in answer to your question. I have what is in my opinion the perfect barrel for this project. What would you do with a SK. Y. M39 barrel that looks unmounted?

Post #12, that is

What would you do with a SK. Y. M39 barrel that looks unmounted?

I would either keep it as a collectors piece or sell it. That is, if it looks NIB like you say.

So to clear confusion, you're basically just building a M39 military mosin using spare parts?

Really don't see any issue, there won't be any profit to be made (as I'm sure you're aware) and as long as it's not later sold as original. Best of luck.

Perhaps though this is a workbench thread, to prevent any more rustling of jimmies?

K Thorne, agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by K Thorne View Post
    and as long as it's not later sold as original.
    I mean

I am kind of in the same boat as the OP. I bought a M91 back in the day as a parts rifle. The rifle was complete but the bore was completely gone and rusted. Turns out the rifle is a big hammer 1919 Tula. The barrel chamber has been ground off. You can barely make out the hammer. I always thought I could mount a newer barrel and have a shooter. Being a Mosin Nagant junkie, I have plenty of shooters so the project is way on the back burner.

If I had a pristine war time Finn barrel and a clunker MN I'd be tempted....no, I'd use the barrel...that's what they are for. Why not? I suspect some here worry about a fake but a guy asking about the subject in an open forum is hardly in that business.

Thank you, reiver1. I’m not alone after all...

You too, coppertales. I suppose I should have made myself clearer from the start, probably not have brought it up among pure collectors, but really...

Thanks for the support everyone. I just hope the receiver passes muster.

Can’t wait to see results..
    “Encouraging Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

DK, thanks. There is an even pitting inside and out. Not concerned about the exterior surfaces - actually I like the effect. But I’m concerned about how it might affect function. Also, will it it let go of the barrel without splitting?

I use to had a barrel removing device..voc instructor made..
    used hard wood wedges of different sizes..to grip not marr.
    never use it, gave it to my deceased smith..

You too, coppertales. I suppose I should have made myself clearer from the start, probably not have brought it up among pure collectors, but really...
    No biggie/ I am not a pure collector. I just buy what comes across my bow that catches my eye and speaks to me. I just thought I would comment I have a receiver that could use a new barrel to make a shooter. I don't care what kind of model barrel I come across to fit to this receiver. However, I do have all the parts to put a M91 back together. It probably won't happen anytime soon. I a have an Enfield in t he same boat that I have a new barrel for but that is on the back burner also until I find a smith to remove the old barrel and install the new one. I am just not in a hurry to do so.

Apologies - I was attempting to express my appreciation to you for your support, and let my criticism of some naysayers get in the way. Sorry for the confusion. But it does seem, at least for the past several posts, that those collectors with building aspirations are beginning to outnumber - or at least, out-post - those opposed, eh?

Sorry, coppertales. I have an unfortunate tendency to reply without any indication of whom I’m addressing. My last post was to you.

your rifle inspect it and spend your money as you wish , hardness can be checked , locking lugs looked at , have fun make into what you want , I did a chinese t 53 shoots good in the rain just leave it in camp .

Thanks for the tips and support one shot. I like M28/30’s best - got 4 of em at this point. But I like carbine length rifles like the k98/m/38/k31, etc. That should give you some idea of my plans.

Historically everything not savable as is...love some of those archangel Russians scoped excellent 500 yard hits..impressed me.

Ok DK, here’s some more: mill off the rear sight base “lip” for the M39 handguard, remove the front sight base, slide on the band and cap, and reposition the front sight base - and basically you have a ‘42 dated M28/30 barrel minus the sleeve which, I might add, wasn’t carried over into the M39 design. Now, remove about .800” from the front of the stock and handguard and shorten the barrel such that the band/cap clear the wood upon disassembly (before sliding on the band/cap and repositioning the front base, of course), and voila! You have a rifle based upon the design of the M28/30 (again, my favorite), but at carbine length (my preferred length) - whew.
    Let me remind anyone reading t that all the parts to this project were acquired separately. For instance, the stock is an unfinished replacement, the barrel appears never to have been mounted, etc etc.

Parts manager..coming out of the dust parts ben... a Phoenix is born..ready to compete !

I had a 1944 stamped M39 that was shot with corrosive ammo,not cleaned properly and left to sit in a closet for approximately 10 years. And upon receiving it as a gift. My heart sank when I saw the bolt head covered in rust. Upon further checking the bore all one could see even with a bore light were vestiges of rifling. Luckily I manages to be able to get a pristine M39 off the wtb wts section of this forum. I had a smith that worked worked on Moisins so now I have a Moisin M39 dated 1970 with a 6 digit serial number.
    Sufficed to say I rescued a shot out rifle, had it rebarreled and will be shooting cast bullets in it. Still have all the info off the old barrel and when and if it ever goes up for sale all the information will go to the new owner.
    Frank

Appreciate your enthusiasm, DK. And thanks for sharing that experience, samamara. Well done. It’s what the Finns did, ain’t it?
    Now, if only could find a manufacturer for a design I have in mind for a micro- adjustable-for-elevation rear sight add-on: pull the two bottom screws to the notch, replace the notch with a new notch that has a vertical slot screw adjustment, buy a front blade that is higher than the original, then go to the range and easily zero perfectly at 100.
    I would much rather do that than replace the entire rear sight leaf.

Hope you post some pics when it's done. Sounds like a cool project, I guess in my mind, a pile of parts is just that... and not many will bother building off of a Mosin Nagant receiver (how many millions of custom build Mausers are out there...?)

I'm not a gunsmith and my knowledge of metallurgy is pretty basic but my answer to your original question would be, if it hasn't been subjected to the heat of a torch then there's no reason to do anything at all to it and in fact you could do more damage than good if the tempering process is not done correctly. I'd be concerned that attempting to reharden the receiver could also warp it. Probably best to leave it alone.

I guess another question I have is, how was the rest of the barrel removed? You said what's left of the original barrel... how much is left, was it torched off, saw cut off, etc?

Welcome in here, shran.
    The original 91/30 barrel is shot through with rust, cut back partway, no front sight - just useless. That’s how it came into my possession. I just wanted to get that out of the way first. I cut it back to the front of the sight base to more easily remove rust. I took it to the gunsmith in that condition (after removing the rust). He probably hasn’t yet made the attempt at barrel (shank) removal, but when I talked to him about it he was reasonably confident of success.

As for my hardness question, that’s been answered to my satisfaction. And it agrees with your assessment.
    It’s just that I went through an M1903 period years ago, and many early receivers are suspect as to lack of hardness. I was just wondering about Soviet manufacturing methods during WWII compared to those of the of the early M1903 period.
    Make sense?

Watch this and it may answer your questions.... there is a part 2 also

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Welcome back to this discussion reiver. Just watched that video through. Looking forward to the sequel. Yeah I love Mosins. I know the Finns used em for convenience, but glad they did.
    In a good mood because I got my (formerly) cracked stock 35 M28/30 back from the woodworker. Yay! My first, my favorite. It has the only 2 piece sling I own on it. My baby.

Spoiler alert.... they never blow the receiver... the bolt head locks at an angle. Never a bulge or rupture.

Too late. Already viewed it
    Love my Mosins. I own just 1 K31, 1 M/38 CG and 1 Husq - but I own 4 M28/30’s and counting, plus a custom build project...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast