Gunboards Forums banner

Tula SVT 40 Bring Back?

7K views 69 replies 30 participants last post by  kimblelr 
#1 · (Edited)
I just purchased my first SVT 40 with no import marks. Blueing is slightly worn but good, wood is dented, dinged but has finish and nice markings, bore is dark but very good, all numbers match except magazine. I’m not sure if it’s a refurb and is that an inspection stamp on Tula star or a refurb marking. Is this a bring back or ?

See less See more
#3 ·
looks good to me. The only thing is it looks like somebody tried to "correct" the star on the receiver by double striking the contour so it looks awkward. Maybe bad angle of the picture but that's what it looks like to me, the rest looks legit

#8 ·
Great rifle! How did you come across this one?

I have a similar 1941 Podolsk in all matching condition, minus the magazine, with no import or evidence of Finn ownership. I got chewed out on a Facebook group for even suggesting it was a bringback. The guy told me it was a Finn example. When I asked why, he said if I didn't know why, he didn't have time to explain to me. What a clown. I love the "experts" that don't have time to explain to "new" collectors like me who have only been collecting for 12 years or so.

#9 ·
As Ryan stated if that little 5 sided nut sticking out at the front has a #2 stamped on it then the chances are very very good that the rifle was modified by Finns. And would have been imported into the USA back in either the late 50's or early 60's ( too lazy to look it up) by InterArmco.

#26 ·
Service Armament may have had some of the Finnish SVT 40s.

According to Markku Palokangas Sotilaskasiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988 - Book # 1, Page 324. That in 1959 Finland added 30,000 weapons to their surplus offering list including 17,300 Russian dragoon rifles, over 7000 Tokarev Semiauto rifles ,1000 L39 anti-tank rifles + mis pistols, SMGs, LMGs & MGs. (the Finnish break down list in the book - table V/3 shows 7790 SVT38 & 40). First several purchasers were interested in these weapons but many turned out to be rather shady. But Sam Cummings offered to buy the entire lot for InterArmco. The sale was agreed upon and Sam Cummings bought and imported the entire lot. The sale was agreed upon and in 1960-65 the whole shebang was shipped mainly to the US.

#32 · (Edited)
Very nice SVT.
Imho, just because an SVT doesn't have Finnish markings or modifications does not mean it was never used by the Finnish military. Many examples of various rifles without those markings or modifications have been sold on the US market since the 1950s...everything from Berdans and Arisakas to US made MN and otherwise...so, the lack of Finnish modification or marks does not exclude it from being possibly a Finnish origin import.
Lack of a US importer stamp might only be an indication the rifle was in the US before the 1986 FOPA, the first and thankfully only reg which requires newly imported surplus guns to have those stamps. No import stamp does not sanctify the rifle as a "bring-back". Could be? Yes. Only capture or import papers or unimpeachable historical personal papers could indicate that without argument.
In the mid 1990s a large group of SVT 40s was imported to the US, not of Finn origin, and many of these were in minty condition, similar to yours, although most were in refinished condition with purply-looking reblues. As with many of the post-86 Century imported Finn rifles, it's also possible this SVT missed being importer marked, for whatever reason; at the time of that import, although discreet import marks were allowed on barrels and in under-the wood locations, many rifles were not so marked--and there was no requirement at the time for a new, importer generated SN, so the original number could be used...just so you know.

#33 ·
FGD135,

I like the bring back story myself. With that said, with this being my first SVT 40 I plan to find a magazine and shoot it as I’ve never fired an SVT. I plan to find an original cleaning rod not to clean it but to make it complete. I will clean it though with my one piece fiberglass cleaning rod and such, and put it in my safe to bring out occasionally and shoot it with other interested and interesting people. My question is now, if I pass on tomorrow what would my now educated loved ones expect the worth of an SVT of this nature to be at auction? I tend to document such information so that my former stuff doesn’t wind up in a garage sale for pennies on the dollar like I bought this SVT for;)

#34 · (Edited)
FGD135,

I would my now educated loved ones expect the worth of an SVT of this nature to be at auction? I tend to document such information so that my former stuff doesn’t wind up in a garage sale for pennies on the dollar like I bought this SVT for;)
Rather than asking that question here, you should do proper research on the web, i.e., looking at completed auctions for an average sale price. Any price quote given here on GB would be self serving by most. An owner would likely want to inflate worth, a buyer would want to lowball in hopes of acquiring.

#45 ·
Here's a non-refurb in the wrong stock (which is also broken) and the buyer snatched it up for the Buy It Now price of $2749
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873825269

I don't think I would pay that much for it in that stock, but I suppose it wasn't a bad purchase. Original matching SVT 40s are just so hard to find and your example is really nice.

I wouldn't even be able to guess what a non-refurb SVT40 like yours would bring. It would be multiples of what a typical refurbished SVT40 would go for, though.

#38 · (Edited)
You want a shooter? Put that on Gunbroker, low starting bid. You’ll see how far the market will take you. How many past, matching SVT auctions are out there? Not a ton.

I wouldn’t shoot that at all. Sell it and you’ll make a killing I’m sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.