Gunboards Forums banner

August 6, 1945

965 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  cpw 
#1 ·
The Enola Gay, under the command of Paul Tibbetts, drops the Little Boy on Hiroshima.

#3 ·
Shall we do another round on this? Oh yes let's do!

I'll repeat and expand to all Asians my contention that The Bomb saved more Japanese lives than American.

Olympic would have cost a million US casualties? Another six months of famine, disease and hardship would have killed multiples of that number of Japanese civilians even without more bombing, and killed many more millions in China and elsewhere on the continent.

Descendants of those survivors on both sides of the Sea of Japan should thank Truman, Tibbets, Grove and the rest.

There's a John Wayne voice in my head growling, "We didn't start this thing but by God we're going to end it."

#12 ·
Shall we do another round on this? Oh yes let's do!

I'll repeat and expand to all Asians my contention that The Bomb saved more Japanese lives than American.

Olympic would have cost a million US casualties? Another six months of famine, disease and hardship would have killed multiples of that number of Japanese civilians even without more bombing, and killed many more millions in China and elsewhere on the continent.

Descendants of those survivors on both sides of the Sea of Japan should thank Truman, Tibbets, Grove and the rest.
The grandmother of one of my daughter-in-laws is of the opinion that the two atomic bombs were not enough.

#5 ·
My hometown is Oak Ridge, TN--"The Atomic City". Built to support the Manhattan Project. My parents met there while working on the project. Our little museum had copies of letters from servicemen after the bombs were dropped and Japan surrendered. Heartfelt appreciation for the bomb, which saved them from invading Japan.

It was a great place to grow up, especially proud of the work done there by the men and women helping to enrich uranium for the bomb.

#6 · (Edited)
the pc crowd today cry about what the japanese reaped(atom bombs) from the war they started, to me it meant my father-uncles were not going to be in a invasion of japan and made it thru the war alive. the pc crowd needs to go and ask people alive today that lived thru the occupation by the japanese army, they will tell of the horrors they endured under the japanese. my brother(left) and i(right) with my father(past june 2007) who just got off the troop train that brought him home in dec-1945. picture of my self with paul tibbitts years after the war. i like to think with the dropping of the atomic bombs i had a father to enjoy for 62 more years.

Attachments

#9 ·
25 years ago when there was a lot of crying about how bad it was to drop the Bombs (mainly triggered by the Enola Gay exhibit at Smithsonian, related to the 50th anniversary), my Mom got pretty upset. She exhibited the "Conant temper" (which she USUALLY didn't) and telling her it was a bad thing might have gotten you whacked on the head with a cast-iron skillet. Dad (USN) was on Okinawa. Dad's twin brother (USMC) was on Okinawa (his third invasion). Mom's brother (USN) was on Okinawa. Her middle sister's husband (USA) was in Germany on occupation duty and on unit orders to return to the States for retraining and transfer to the Pacific. To invade Japan. Her view? But for the Bombs, none of the four would have survived (am pretty sure she was wrong; Dad and Uncle Al would have stayed on Okinawa, keeping the bans and bullets going, but Dad's twin and Uncle Joe might well have not made it home). My view? If the Japanese hadn't wanted to have all available weapons used against them, they either should have had better sense than provoke a war with us, or quit sooner.

#8 ·
Yes, all those young American males who were spared the invasion that never was and got to go home to families and sweethearts and jobs and school and prosperity. And all those young Japanese who were spared the horrors of bombing, invasion, occupation and who got to participate in the rebuilding of their country are pretty thankful.

#10 ·
what always amazed was how most of the returning men just picked up where they were before the war and went foreward with their lives. i know in my extended familey 8 of the men did. well uncle june was a drinker, but he was before the war. i have lots of stories i was told later in my life about some of the hard times they endured and all i could do was shake my head in disbelieve but the were dead cold when talking.

#13 ·
I had 4 cousins, oce removed, & a father-in-law who were in the Pacific during the war. They talked very seldom, but when they did , it would be unbelievable to people today. Also knew a doctor (now deceased) who was on the death march, who seldom talked about it, but when he did it was horrible with the cruelty they suffered.

#11 ·
Those whiny 'I want it right now' along with the worthless looters who ,if I am using the term correctly, refer to themselves as being "WOKE" have no real understanding of the historical events they call evil and blame the current generation for their troubles. I consider these people to be dangerous, uneducated ............grrr just do not know what to say when I see them on TV or read stuff they write.

I throw in with those who say it saved lives. Both my father and his brothers, my Moms brothers. In addition ALL their cousins of age as well as neighbors were in the military with over half serving in the Pacific. They all breathed a sigh of relief when the first bomb hit and knew it was over with the second. Too many had already died.

The Japanese civilians would have added to the Military as underground fighters who were willing to sacrifice their life for the Emperor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.