Gunboards Forums banner

CMP 1911a1

748 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  YzzSzz 
#1 ·
Received my Remington Rand 1911a1 from the CMP the other day . Was wondering about the rebuild mark on the frame. Letters only about 3/32 tall. A 11 80 I assume 11 80 was the rebuild date, but what does the single A mean? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
a single "A"? it wouldn't be AUGUSTA ARSENAL they closed down in 1955 and they stamped everything AA. that leaves ANNISTON, it's more likely then not, it's them.

back in the day ANNISTON ARSENAL, marked their rebuild AN to separate themselves from AUGUSTA ARSENAL(AA). now that there is only one arsenal with the letter A, it's has to be them

and yes, 11/80 is the rebuild month and year

#5 ·
that is the worst stamping job I ever saw sure does not look like a professional Military stamping.

somehow I think that if you had to stamp 100s of pistols your aim would be off as well, try it yourself...........get a set of letter and number punch and start stamping as quickly as you can for 8 hours and see how well you do. besides, a stamping weather it's perfect or not is not going to make the pistol shoot any differently. that stamping is just to show when and where the rebuild took place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.