Gunboards Forums banner

Buds called and has M/91s for sale

5K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  fourbore 
#1 ·
Yeah soo I hate to be the enabler again, Buds has them for $359.47 with bayonette and accessories they say.
I would grab one but I am not edumacated enough on them even though I have been reading as much as I can on them in this wonderful forum. I'm still skittish buying stuff I can't hold in hand.
That and I surprised the wifey when I loaded up the new gunsafe last month with guns she dint know about. hehehe

#15 ·
91/30s for $350.00 no way - even if they go to $1,000 not gonna pay it
Granted prices increase but the 91/30s have tens of millions in the world they will never be rare and thinking they will be is nuts. Unless 100,000,000 of them suddenly get lost, burned or cut up

Not 03FFl (Curio & Relic) ? obviously a nit wit "working there

#17 ·
If the prices are too high, the smart people will sell. If the smart people do not sell then they are not high. You can also judge by what happens at Buds. At same time keep an eye on the smart. I dont have any Mosin and I am not looking for a rifle. Although, if these are pretty much worthless it might be possible to convert a 91/30 to a 91/59? No harm in that right? I will have to study the photos and see if I would need parts.

Can some one tell me. Can a 91/31 be cut back to make a 91/59?

#20 ·
Discussion of altering milsurps is generally frowned upon here, but my two cents on the 91/59 conversion question:

It would be fairly straightforward for someone with some basic metalworking skills, but wouldn't be advisable. The end product would be a downgrade from its original 91/30 state, as it wouldn't be as good as a shooter, and would lose value in the bargain.

Some people collect variants converted to carbines outside the Soviet Union proper (91/59s, 91/38s, etc.), but a garage creation would have no collector value.

#19 ·
I think people are too focused on what the price was yesterday, and far too focused on how many were initially made.

You're buying a rifle that participated in WW2.. Is $350 really such a bad price? When people are spending $1000+ on a WW2 helmet?

I don't look at Mosins as extremely overpriced now, but rather that they were extremely underpriced yesterday. I know being a dealer, anything I say is going to be scrutinized and said to be "trying to push prices", but I very rarely have any Mosins to sell. Like others here, I was spoiled by $60-100ea prices a decade ago and refuse to pay $350 today. That does not mean I think $350 is a high price, it's actually still low compared to where it could be.. Millions of K98Ks were made too, doesn't change the fact AIM had RCs for $250-300 12 years ago but today they are $700+.

The longer we continue to grumble about "They were $69 a decade ago", the longer they will continue to be called "cheap garbage rods".

My 2c

#23 ·
That seems reasonable, but; there is a guy cutting up Carcanos and it seems ok for that forum? Why is it ok to cut up Carcano and not Mosin? A Carcano lover complained and he put down hard. Discouraged is not forbidden. I get it. I think.

I will agree at $400 the project is loosing appeal. I am in waiting mode for my next dose of stimulus money.

On the subject it self. I think I can modify a rifle stock to make a carbine stock. I can cut the crown and do a better job than the recess crown work done in Russia. I did not know a puller was needed for the sight. I could use an acetylene torch for removal, no? I do have several presses at my disposal if it is a matter of pressure only. I also read a lot of negativity about Mosin carbine accuracy. This idea leaves me the option to look for a new barrel as a backup plan. At this point, it is all talk and not trying to bait anyone into an argument. I hope not. I maybe getting Covid bored,

The tone of this discussion seemed to be these are $87 guns! Not worthy guns, arsenal rebuild, etc. I need to know, are we talking valuable history or $87 junk?

One of the Importers was making sniper rifles. Not fakes, necessarily, but; not marked very clearly as such IIRC. That is also frowned on? Or people buy and enjoy those?

#24 ·
I was the laughing stock of Calguns and a few other forums about 8 years ago when I bought that silly "Rooshin Mouser" SAT M91 without a handguard and mismatched bolt for $12k... There were over 100 posts about how all Moisens Negants were $69 badly made commie guns and the like... I think there were 100 posts and 22,000 views. ;)

#25 ·
Pricewise, it's all about supply and demand. A nondescript, common year/arsenal refurb M91/30 is still a piece of history, and deserves better than to be chopped up and dipped into a vat of Tru Oil or put into some kind of plastic "tactical" stock abomination.

But as of right now, August 2020, they're simply too plentiful to be commanding $350 IMO.

If I were in the market for a refurb Mosin to use as a range gun, there is a constant flow of appropriate specimens on the secondary market for $250 or less.

#27 · (Edited)
So; drifting a little OT, I though if the Russian price pendulum has swung onto the high side, let me look at French carbines. Same complaint over there. And to make it more severe, the French citizens are now allowed to own certain antique classified type guns without heavy restrictions. Maybe including the Berthier carbines. I am outnumbered and surrounded.

#33 ·
Apples and oranges. A factory matching (and Factory matching is the only kind of matching Finn marked 91/30 unless you run into an very unusual case of a Soviet refurbed 30s model that got captured and never rebuilt by the Finns) 1941 "Tula" (which would actually be a Tula marked barrel built at Izhevsk) is not a common refurb 91/30. Find me one of those, and I'll be more than glad to pay Bud's price for the refurbs and considerably more. ;)

#37 ·
The milsurp price debate is ongoing. I think everyone agrees that gunbroker is the worst place to bargain shop. That said I found two good deals on there last week. I also sold a few rifles. There are new collectors buying up everything they can find it seems and they do not care what they have to spend. I have always been a bargain shopper myself. To each his own. I have been looking for a K98 and honestly I have given up. I am priced out of the market. Instead I bought a couple of Finn Mosins. I am picking up a newer Colt 1911 this morning I found locally for a great price. There are always deals to be had. It just takes time to beat the bushes and see what comes out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.