Gunboards Forums banner

Stock splice question

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RusskieSniper 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first time dabbling in Mosins in a good long while, so do pardon me if this question seems rather stupid. Anyway, recently I was looking over a stock for my M44 I bought (it was to replace a stock that got broken four years ago that was beyond saving) and I noticed the toe splice (which is laminate on hardwood) seemed a little strange. It is a laminate on hardwood splice, but it appears to have been made with an earlier laminate stock (I want to say a beech laminate M38 stock perhaps?). What I ask, is my assumption correct, and has something like this been recorded before around here? I know laminate on hardwood and vice versa are out there, but I've never seen anything quite like this in the 11 off and on years I've been dabbling in Mosin rifles.

Photos are below, I apologize in advance if they are large. For the hell of it too, there are a few overall shots of the carbine:

See less See more
#4 ·
i had a friend that got in on the Century deal of 5/$100 MN44 special years ago. One or two were missing a bolt, a few missing hand guards but most had broken toes. He used all kinds of stocks for wood to replace the toes. This could be one of his. He even got a couple of 98k sporterized stocks from me. He did nice work and made each a shooter. I remember a couple had brass pins that held the toe in place. Look under the stock and look for 1/8" brass dot. After wife problems he moved to Florida.

#8 ·
Thanks for the clarification everyone, I appreciate the help greatly! I think for now though I should probably brush up on these riles a little bit more. This is was the stock I was using for a comparison that got me tripped up on the whole hardwood or laminate on the toe splice debate:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.