Gunboards Forums banner

Australian ammo (OT)

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  john.k 
#1 ·
Bit OT but as this forum has lots of Australian users......I understand that the Winchester facility in Victoria is no longer manufacturing ammunition,so is there currently any domestic smallarms cartridge manufacturing in Australia?.

#4 ·
The only "factory" producing ammo in Australia is Thales-ADI
Benalla ( Victoria) for Military 5,56mm, 7,62N, and .50BMG.
Cases and Loaded Sporting ammo are available through a Subsidiary.
Custom loaded ammo is available from several small loaders, using new brass reformed...
Cases for a wide range of obsolete calibres are newly made from brass by Bertrams Bullets ( Seymour, Victoria).
Reformed brass ( mostly New Starline, Hornady, or PPU/IK, or recent Military brass) are supplied by AVB TechServices of Brisbane.

Give me 10-20 Mill $ ( Lotto, anyone?) and a small facility with Versatile machinery ( old style) could make a wide variety of calibres, in economically saleable quantities for the particular ANZAC market.

Doc AV
Brisbane

#5 ·
I must say I am a bit concerned that there is nobody in this part of the world,now making Rimfire cartridges for civil use.....let alone Centerfire in the various sporting calibers.Used to be at least 2 (CAC in NZ and Winchester in Oz) to supply this area and now there is none.....not a good development.I know it can be imported but sometimes imports can be sporadic in supply.....

#7 ·
Yes Olin, who now seem to be concentration on Ag chemicals. Understand they have an ammonium nitrate production/storage facility in Newcastle, NSW, which is of particular concern given the Beruit explosion. One in Adelaide was relocated years ago.
We used to use a diesel/a.n. mix for blasting in the Coober Pedy opal fields.

#8 ·
I think Winchester may still assemble shotshells from imported components ...I know they closed their primer manufacturing section a while ago ,and the last was the injection moulding plant .....but the design of shell changed ,and I think all the plastic comes from China......no surprise there........There have been sporadic attempts to load shotshells here.....however imported ammo is so cheap ,it all fails ........Ballantynes still make heaps of shot,but seems a lot is exported ......Fortunately ,for they are the only market for scrap batteries ,and hold the price pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.