Star model B 9mm serial numbers

Thread: Star model B 9mm serial numbers

Default Star model B 9mm serial numbers

I'm interested in finding a Star Model B in 9mm. Here's the rub--California has such screwy gun laws that they maintain an "approved handgun roster" that the Star is not on. HOWEVER, a C&R handgun can be purchased, even if it is not on the list. Soooo, if I can find a Star Model B that is more than 50 years old, I can buy it.

Does anyone know of a resource for determining the age of a Star pistol form it's serial number?

Thanks, Steve

Star (and other Spanish) pistols are most easily dated by using the Spanish Proof House markings on the frame. The marking is either a letter (i.e. A, B, C...) or a letter and a number (i.e. A1, B1, C1...). It is located on the left side of the frame. The letter code is stamped inside of shield with a knights head on top. On military pistols, the marking is usually to the left of the magazine release. On commercial models, it will probably be underneath the grip panel. A chart for dating the the symbol can be found here http://star-firearms.com/firearms/proof.shtml

Since you are looking for a C&R piece, you will be looking for a proof date of 1958 or older. This will be signified by a code of D1 or lower.

The year date code is NOT inside the knight's helm over shield proof; that is a totally different proof mark. The Eibar region proofs are a triad groping of the knights helm over shield with an "X" in the shield, a flaming bomb with "I" (Military issue) or "P" (commercial or export) in it, and the date code. The date code is a stand alone letter, or letter plus number, with "*" above it. The letter code started with "A" in 1927, went to "Z" in 1954 (keep in mind the Spanish alphabet includes the "LL" and N with squiqqle over it (Nyay) - started over with "A1" in 1955.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the correction. I should have actually looked at an example before I posted.

The proof mark N with a - overtop the N was manufactured in 1943. Source=
    http://star-firearms.com/firearms/proof.shtml
    "I'm the dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude!"

Also Pistols dated 1968 and older are C & R material (gotcha jimm) Star Pistols can make great collections, I started many years ago and have upward of 100 of them. This is one of many drawers Star S, SS and SM Pistols.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 89831532-A4C7-454E-A094-C305605C58E7.jpeg  

They can also be very good shooters! My collection consists of one so far. It is accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot now that I have the gremlins all worked out. Hoping to acquire more in the future.

I concur about how great they are, but hope the OP found one: he started this thread 10 years ago.
    The classics brought me here: WWII P38, 1945 Star Model B, Brit contract Ballester-Molina, and other cool stuff!

Ha no wonder pistols made in 1958 were C&R qualified , I had to add ten years to bring it up to date....good spot on the date bjczrx.

Got any Model BM's you wanna sell?

Quote Originally Posted by ibmikey View Post
    Also Pistols dated 1968 and older are C & R material (gotcha jimm) Star Pistols can make great collections, I started many years ago and have upward of 100 of them. This is one of many drawers Star S, SS and SM Pistols.
    Got any Model BM's you wanna sell?

Antagony, So sorry but I do not sell my firearms, sometimes give them away to deserving friends but keep the rest for personal enjoyment.