Fm/23-36 Trial Match Rifle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fm/23-36 Trial Match Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by unclegeorge View Post
    Hi all,maybe a little bit of topic here,please excuse me, but I have to ask you all some info,was there any stock that looks like a cg80 stock but made of polymere or plastic material ever made.
    Here is a little about it https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...72#post1450972
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    Looks like the original Lyman sight has been replaced with another Lyman sight . It has been shortened at the bottom ? Also , some letters or name was milled off the sight & "UB" was stamped in its place ?
    At last....That must be the "Lyman-style" Uno Berg-diopter then?
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

swede is online now Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

I am not familar that sight . Is it a Lyman that was modified by Uno Berg ? If so , what is the difference ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am not familar that sight . Is it a Lyman that was modified by Uno Berg ? If so , what is the difference ?
    Thats my problem. I dont have a m/Berg in my collection. What I know is that the, by its time, very well-known shooter Uno Berg did present a diopter that was approved around 1954 and told to be of "Lyman-style". I probably have seen it on pics but unable to understand if its a m/Lyman or m/Berg. When I get one that is proven to be m/Berg I will get back to you.
    BTW. Think I have found your former fm/23-36 owner W.Lundh in my big book. Will produce a photo of him when day-light allowes me.
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

That is great if you can post a photo of W. Lundh !!!!

Also , note this sight appears to have the elevation screw shortened . This screw is not a typical 60 degree thread , but similar to an ACME thread with a spiral . You run out of vertical travel at the #8 mark on the elevation leg of the sight . That elevation leg has also been cut flush with the bottom of the sight , rather than extending down into the original cutout in the side of the stock . The 4 corners of the base of the sight are rounded & blued . I don't know if that is original or not ?

Here is Viktor Lundh from Ystads Skyttegille. Born 9th of November 1899 in in Sövestad. Married 1928 with Betty Nilsson. Member in the shooting-club since 1936 and in this board since 1937, head of the range and administrator for the ammunition since 1939. Belongs the shooting-class 5 (highest). Have following shooting-badges: "Lägre årtalsmärke in silver, Skyttemärke in gold, Riksskyttemedal and mästarmärket in bronze."

Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

Arilar : Thanks for the photo & translation . Are the "W" and "V" used as the same letter in the Swedish language ?

Arilar : Thanks for the photo & translation . Are the "W" and "V" used as the same letter in the Swedish language ?
    No, they are not but pronounced the same. But.....its obvious that often people spelled their names as what were popular for the moment. For example in the 30s-40s many Olof spelled Olov because of a Norwegian royalty Olov was popular at the time. Take a look at the "m/G.Andersson thread" and notice that Andersson now and then is spelled Anderson and sofort. I guess Viktor was baptized that way but fancied Wiktor.
    Arms are for hugging

Hi! I start this old thread with some info. I am the owner of the Fm/23-36 Trial Match Rifle with serila number 1052. I alos have one Fm /23.

Regards M45B
    Last edited by M45B; 09-12-2011 at 07:10 AM.

M45B : Welcome to the Forum !!!! I have added your fm23/36 serial number to the short list of reported numbers . Post some photos of your rifle if you can . We would like to see it .

Quote Originally Posted by M45B View Post
    Hi! I start this old thread with some info. I am the owner of the Fm/23-36 Trial Match Rifle with serila number 1052. I alos have one Fm /23.

Regards M45B
    Pics or they dont exist! . Just kidding, but pics makes it even more fun. The fm/23-36 is very rare and of the few remaining several has gone t´hrough minor or major changes during its life. Tell more about yours!!
    Look for the fm/23 thread and post pics and info regarding that rifle also.
    And very welcome to this great Forum. Great to have more genuine Swedes attending
    Arms are for hugging

Hi again!

Thanks for all the great info about the fm 23/36. I bought my rifle together with a fm 23 from a Swedish collector in the early 2000s.
    It was hard to find any info about this rifle so I did not know if it was alright?

I have studdy your picture and I am not sure if it is the right diptersight on it?

Almost all parts are original, except magazines plate (do not know if it's the right name) in pic # 5(it`s from a Husqvarna)

Please let me know what you think about this rifle.

Regards M45B

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	463088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	212.2 KB 
ID:	463089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	463090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	463091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	463092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	463093
    Last edited by M45B; 09-12-2011 at 04:49 PM.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Look at posting #12. You sight does appear to be correct. Also, posting #41 looks like your rifle sight.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Your rifle looks correct to me . There are 3 different fm23/36's shown in the book " Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden , a Century of Accuracy and Precision " by Dana Jones . This is the " bible " on Swedish Mausers . One has a solid front sight like yours , while the other 2 have a knurled nut holding an aperture insert in place . Your Lyman 48M diopter looks correct as well . Your bolt sleeve has the correct relief cut on the right side and the shortened cocking piece & firing pin . Looks like yours had a Unit disc at one time . Your floorplate was probably misplaced at sometime in the past & replaced . You have the correct 1935 receiver without the thumb cutout . Your barrel should have some markings under the wood similar to this " Stig. 210mm " over " KUL. 3.6 " . Not sure every barrel has the same exact marking ?

Does your buttplate have the knurked extension that pulls down from the bottom ? You need the loosen the rear buttplate screw to pull it down .

You have a very RARE Trial Match Rifle , one of only 89 made !!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Yes, my rifle have the knurked extension that pulls down from the bottom. As you mentioned, my had a unite disc at one time. What could it mean, that the rifle belonged to a military unit / regiment?

Regards M45B

Name:	Fm23-36.7.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	463200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fm23-36.8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	463201
    Last edited by M45B; 09-13-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks swede!

The Swedish collector that I bought the gun from said that the Swedish army had used this gun as a experimental rifles to their snipers. But they had to make way for the new m/41 rifle.

Do you know if it is true? Or is this a rifle only for the military competitions?

Regards M45B

Quote Originally Posted by M45B View Post
    Thanks swede!

The Swedish collector that I bought the gun from said that the Swedish army had used this gun as a experimental rifles to their snipers. But they had to make way for the new m/41 rifle.

Do you know if it is true? Or is this a rifle only for the military competitions?

Regards M45B
    Frankly, this model were never much a military trial rifle. Didnt has so much to do with the military even from the beginning. Take the time and read the thread from top to bottom. Dont rely to much on swedish collectors because they have seldom bothered to get involved in the civilian Swedish sportshooting history. This model is a part of that. Never intended as a sniper. Maybe used in military competitions but surely not the major rule for the fm/23-36. I am glad you are taken interest in its history!
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

M45B, to understand the fm/23-36 it is crucial to first start with the fm/23-story. Here a link to that thread https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ls-Match-Rifle .
    Please, post also pics on your fm/23 in that thread!!
    Arms are for hugging

Default Pics of my fm/23, fm23/36, and others

Greetings All,
    Here are a few pics of the Trials rifles I am very lucky to own. The fm/23 (still in its original 1924 configuration)and one of my fm/23-36's are nearly sequential and the thought is that an fm/23 was returned (damaged?) and the serial number reissued/applied to a fm/23-36 (1935 dated) receiver. Later that same rifle was reworked into a m/63 configuration. The unaltered fm/23-36 I own had a stock plate applied to it at one time but has long since disappeared. Additionally, its unusual because the front sight appears to be reversed. I looked at it closely and it appears to have been that way for quite awhile.

Best Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04920.jpg  

DSC04912.jpg  

DSC04918.jpg  

DSC04913.jpg  

DSC04915.jpg  

DSC04919.jpg  

Really nice group of rifles !!!!!!!!! Look on page 175 & 176 in Crown Jewels & you will see your same front sight on 2 fm23/36's . These appear to be correct on this model .

There is also a fm23/36 on page 174 without the knurled nut .

Very nice collection! The 63 reworked version looks interesting, especially the rear sling swivel adaptation on the forearm. Certainly a welcome change for the match shooter as it acted as an effective handstop. I wonder where the work was done. Thanks for sharing

CanadaBoy & sbhva : Can you add serial number info to the list we have collected here ?

Default Another Fm23/36 with a fm23 serial number?

Good Day,
    While looking on GB today, I noticed that a fm23/36 has been offered for sale (the pictures are from the auction).
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=547318097

It appears it is another example of a fm23 that was returned, the serial number transferred to a 1935-dated reinforced receiver, and reissued as a fm23/36 target rifle. Like most fm23-36 rifles observed so far, the sling slot on the bottom fore end of the stock shows no signs of a "slot button" having used ever. This rifle adds to the information we have on these very rare rifles.
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...54758-Fm-23-36

Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GB fm23-36 side.jpg  

GB fm23-36 sn.jpg  

I bought from this seller before, deal went well.

As a fan of Swedish rifles (I own 6 so that must mean something) I found this whole thread to be extremely interesting and very informative. So many thanks to all who posted and some beautiful rifles and in my favorite caliber. Frank

So who is Viking1911? I would venture a guess they are a member here.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.

Default fm/23-36

Good Day,
    I'm not sure who it was but he/she secured a wonderful rifle at a good price. The stock alone is something very, very rare.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04912.jpg  

I thought it would have went for around $3k. I was surprised the opening bid went uncontested. Had I had the money, I would have given it a go.

Sold for $2,000. Saving the pics for future reference:

Name:	image.jpeg 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	1138529 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	1138537 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	1138545 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1138553 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	1138561 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	14 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	1138569 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	13 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	1138577 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	1138641

Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	1138681Click image for larger version. 

Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	1138673 Click image for larger version. 

Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	1138689
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Default fm23-36 sold on GB in 2018

Good Day All,
    Attached are pictures of another fm23-36 sold on GB for future reference. Thanks to "junze" for offering it. I was VERY surprised is sold for under $1500. There were a few issues with the rifle which likely contributed to the lack of bids. That said, its still a rare rifle and one the current owner should be very happy with.
    Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fm23-36 serial number 304763 158.jpg  

fm23-36 left side fore end.jpg  

fm23-36 swedish Lyman 48 rear sight.jpg  

fm23-36 banner stamp.jpg  

fm23-36 right side full.jpg  

fm23-36 left side action and buttstock.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12