Did forgers win this game?

Thread: Did forgers win this game?

Default Did forgers win this game?

I got this SVT mount from Sweden in early 2007. Paid the price of a "real thing" for it. When I posted some pics to this forum the guys here told me I had done well and that I'd have an original mount. However, last summer I was emailed by Molosky who had bought a similar mount in Russia and believed we both may have just two nicely made fakes. He also showed a few pics of original mounts and their markings & machining marks, especially on the inside the "fork", differed from my mount quite a bit.

Here are some pictures of the mount I got. The other one is a Finn captured (& butchered) and definitely original SVT mount I thought to use as a reference here. Opinions will be appreciated. I hope Molosky will weigh in and perhaps post the pictures he has.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toka_1.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	395911

Name:	toka_2.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	395905

Is the first letter of the prefix just badly stamped П or Latin L upside down?

Name:	toka_3.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	395906

Does one of the marks look like Imperial Tula hammer to you?

Name:	toka_4.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	287.5 KB 
ID:	395910

Investment casting marks (?) prevail.

Name:	toka_8.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	285.5 KB 
ID:	395907

In the middle of the cross pin hole there are two extra notches pointing up and down. Repro mounts I've seen appear to have this feature.

Name:	toka_9.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	289.3 KB 
ID:	395912

This retaining screw isn't staked.

Name:	toka_7.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	395909

Name:	toka_6.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	289.1 KB 
ID:	395904

Cross pin is missing all the inspection marks.

Name:	toka_5.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	395908
    Last edited by CH; 01-29-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Here are the rest of the pics.

Name:	toka_10.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	395927

Name:	toka_11.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	395926

No signs of investment casting. All machined construction.

Name:	toka_12.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	284.5 KB 
ID:	395932

No extra notches in the cross pin hole.

Name:	toka_13.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	395933

The head of the screw is staked.

Name:	toka_14.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	279.1 KB 
ID:	395935

Name:	toka_16.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	395934

Inspection marks on the cross pin.

Name:	toka_15.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	285.2 KB 
ID:	395937

Name:	toka_17.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	395936

Real mount isn't as wide as this possible fake.

Name:	toka_18.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	395939

Real pin left, fake (?) right. The real one is much bigger.

Name:	toka_19.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	395938

Name:	toka_20.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	395940
    Last edited by CH; 01-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.

I do not know these mounts well enough to comment on that.But from my experience with bogus German ww2 helmets.I can say it looks artificially aged with chemical produced rust.Generally the rust from this process looks more redish in color.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Antti, All of mine that are apparently original have identical markings. Only the rifle serial numbers are different.

Those casting markings and the stampings are definitely suspect. I do not know if I had an original then, and hope I did not post that your was OK. It is a much better mount than the repros we see in the US.

Hope the pics help.

Looks like if yours and Molosky's are fake, I got three just like them. None of my retaining pins are proofed. Maybe Vic has some known originals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails svvt&gersnip 134.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 148.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 136.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 138.JPG  

Last edited by mike radford; 01-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrer View Post
    I do not know these mounts well enough to comment on that.But from my experience with bogus German ww2 helmets.I can say it looks artificially aged with chemical produced rust.Generally the rust from this process looks more redish in color.
    I agree. It's actually strange that there are rust all over but no signs of pitting anywhere. And, after owning real Tula made 91/30 PE top & side mounts, bases and PU mounts for years, I have to admit I don't like the font of the serial number. It's a bit too modern IMHO. The number on the broken mount has somewhat similar font but not the same.
    Last edited by CH; 01-29-2011 at 05:16 PM.

It ain't looking good Antti. If these were faked it was quite a while back. I got one of mine more than 5 years ago. They do not look like the reproductions readily available here in the US.

Mike, thanks for your input. Did you buy one of yours from willyp? There's one with the same serial number displayed on Imageevent. I agree that if these were made from repros it would have required a lot of work. But, they probably were. I'm interested to hear what Vic has to say. Some real mounts were possibly exported with Finn captured SVT-40s and SVT-38 a long before repros became available...

A stupid question but have you ever tried to tap the "fork" portion of the mount to table etc. to hear what it sounds like? The broken mount I have resonates like a tuning fork but the suspect sounds really dull. This tells something about the metal, yes?
    Last edited by CH; 01-30-2011 at 03:06 AM.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Antti,
    I agree on your aassesment of the quality of steel to harmonics relationship. Any steel used in weapons making is most usually excellent quality and should give that nice ringing sound no matter the piece. Anything that doesn't should be suspect if it can't be proven authentic by other means.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Hi guys! The first mount is a good fake. The same in the post # 4.
    Here are originals:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1532863.jpg  

qwq60 0132.jpg  

qwq60 005.jpg  

qwq62 0392.jpg  

qwq62 0472.jpg  

qwq87 082.jpg  

LotImg23082.jpg  

IMG_29942.jpg  

1 0342.jpg  

IMG_14292.jpg  

LotImg23042.jpg  

toka_162.jpg  

Last edited by Molosky; 01-30-2011 at 12:32 PM.

original/fake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qwq52 083222.JPG  

qwq52 103.jpg  

qwq52 109.jpg  

qwq52 108.jpg  

qwq52 120.jpg  

qwq52 128.jpg  

qwq52 112.jpg  

qwq52 127.jpg  

qwq52 099.jpg  

Last edited by Molosky; 01-30-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Whew, fortunately I bought all three of mine from the Finnbear back in the 1980's !!! Seems like once the price gets to a certian point, look out here come the fakers! Skid

Great string...A sticky? Should be a sticky? Need one like this for the side and top mounts too.

Sticky sounds like a good idea. One for top and side mounts would be a good idea too, except it could help the fakers get better. There were several collectors fooled by these things. They are definitely better than the commonly seen reproduction mounts. I have 2 of those.

Do we know who made them and when? I will have to dig to figure it out but I am guessing I got my first one 7 or 8 years ago.

Guys, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions here. Are you sure you're not just looking at two different manufacturers or two different time periods of manufacture? Also, I would think that some of the proof marks and staking wouldn't be applied until after they were fitted to a rifle and accepted.

I sold an original scope and mount here about 2 years ago that was bought from Finnbear in the 1990's. It had many of the same features that are labeled "fake" here. In fact, most of the mounts pictured on the web came from that batch that Finnbear found so I am definitely not ready to label those anything less than original.

About 10 or 12 years ago I had noticed that many of the mounts that turned up for sale or in pictures on the web, were from two series of serial number prefixes. In fact, several were close in serial number, less than a hundred apart. I posted that observation here on the forum and and others recalled the story of Finnbear finding a box of SVT mounts. That seemed to account for the close serial numbers and similar features for many of the mounts.

Maybe others can add more.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by sssniper View Post
    Whew, fortunately I bought all three of mine from the Finnbear back in the 1980's !!! Seems like once the price gets to a certian point, look out here come the fakers! Skid
    Skid, You may want to take a look at your mount. All 3 I pictured came from finnbear and I know of at least 4 more just like them that all came from finnbear. These are the mounts in question as best as I can find out with my research. If fake, they have fooled a bunch of folks.

Apparently Tula had two locations for SVT related production in late 1941. Seems possible that two factories were making mounts and they may not be identical.??

I believe we may be thinking of Springfield Armory or Winchester or Detroit. Remember these were made in the old Soviet Union of the '30's and '40's very little quality control on items like this and as the war progressed even worse. I traveled with the Finnbear, and I can not believe he would have a batch of SVT mounts made up when the rifles were almost impossible to find anf the scopes were even more rare. Unless he had a crystal ball. I bought mine in the late '80's to maybe '91 or '92 at the Great Western in Pomona. If he knowingly sold us fakes, then I am a very poor judge of character. If an when I sell mine, I will advertise where they came form and that I believe them to be real. I have been to the Museums in 9 of the Soviet Hero Cities and Hero Brest Fortress and have studied any sniper I could get a look at, there are many variations, and the PU series is a whole different program. Just my two cents. Vic ?? Skid

Im in the same boat. If they are fakes then they are the best fakes I have ever seen. Tula sniper production was interrupted in late 41 and early 42 due to the seige and the production line was moved by train to the Urals at the Mednagorsk facility. I'm just fishing here but is it possible the mount production was shifted to a different facility as well? If not I'm in the same boat as the others with several of these on rifles.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by sssniper View Post
    I believe we may be thinking of Springfield Armory or Winchester or Detroit. Remember these were made in the old Soviet Union of the '30's and '40's very little quality control on items like this and as the war progressed even worse. I traveled with the Finnbear, and I can not believe he would have a batch of SVT mounts made up when the rifles were almost impossible to find anf the scopes were even more rare. Unless he had a crystal ball. I bought mine in the late '80's to maybe '91 or '92 at the Great Western in Pomona. If he knowingly sold us fakes, then I am a very poor judge of character. If an when I sell mine, I will advertise where they came form and that I believe them to be real. I have been to the Museums in 9 of the Soviet Hero Cities and Hero Brest Fortress and have studied any sniper I could get a look at, there are many variations, and the PU series is a whole different program. Just my two cents. Vic ?? Skid
    Skid, I am not making any judgement about finnbear or whether he had these made. I am pointing out mine came from him, as did Vic's, and a couple other member's here all came from finnbear. If they are not original, and I am not sure at this point, he could have been fooled too. Hopefully these are original Soviet WW2 production.

1942:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qwq43 038.jpg  

qwq87 017.jpg  

qwq43 124.jpg  

qwq87 022.jpg  

qwq87 028.jpg  

qwq87 085.jpg  

qwq87 020.jpg  

qwq87 025.jpg  

qwq87 0172.jpg  

Thanks Molosky. Excellent job with those pictures, especially with museum conditions.

That rifle, and probably the mount, appear to be heavily refurbed. The receiver markings are kinda weak. The mount lacks the rifle serial prefix, which is interesting and maybe restamped(vs previously unissued?). Mount lacks the usual markings on the rear we see in CH's mounts and that are present on the mounts I posted(but slightly different). I suspect they were there before the refurb of the mount or maybe the mount was a new unissued mount that never had the other markings?? The retaining pin looks like yours with Tula proof. Wonderful rifle.

Ludmilla did not mount that scope. Makes one wanta get in there and straighten that scope out. Nice 41 dated Progress scope. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by mike radford; 02-05-2011 at 02:59 PM.

This mount from my collection:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qwq115 035.jpg  

qwq116 036.jpg  

qwq115 067.jpg  

qwq115 065.jpg  

qwq116 011.jpg  

qwq115 027.jpg  

qwq116 022.jpg  

qwq115 018.jpg  

qwq116 039.jpg  

qwq116 041.jpg  

qwq115 030.jpg  

IMG_1428.jpg  

Last edited by Molosky; 02-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.

more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1446.jpg  

qwq60 013.jpg  

qwq60 005.jpg  

qwq60 039.jpg  

qwq60 029.jpg  

qwq60 103.jpg  

IMG_1426.jpg  

qwq60 042.jpg  

qwq60 019.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qwq60 052.jpg  

qwq60 071.jpg  

qwq60 055.jpg  

qwq60 046.jpg  

qwq60 066.jpg  

qwq60 068.jpg  

qwq60 060.jpg  

qwq60 053.jpg  

qwq60 062.jpg  

qwq60 059.jpg  

qwq60 073.jpg  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 156660.jpg  

156668.jpg  

956451.jpg  

qwq106 019.jpg  

qwq62 119.jpg  

qwq62 117.jpg  

156666.jpg  

Last edited by Molosky; 02-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks for the great pictures, Anton! It's interesting to see that some of these mounts have the serial number stamped with the same font as it is on the rifle.

Thanks for the great pictures Molosky. None of the mounts you show have a prefix to the serial number on the mount. Antti's does have a prefix. Some of the mounts you picture have a marking on the right side near the rear and and some do not. Some of the pins have a proof and some do not. I am not sure we have a definite pattern here such that a total conclusion can be made. Plus, we have the variable of possible refurbishment of some of the mounts which could add and/or subtract some markings.

What are you guys seeing to help on this because I am likely missing something. Love that 5115 rifle with matching mount. Pretty safe bet that one has an original mount.

Mike, check Anton's last post. There's actually one mount with ЖБ prefix. And, this time the "Б" looks like Б and not 6. The font is notably smaller than those without the prefix, just like on the butchered mount I got.

Does anyone have an observation of an Izhevsk made mount? Most of the Izhevsk SVTs have scope rails but are there any mounts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    Some of the mounts you picture have a marking on the right side near the rear and and some do not. Some of the pins have a proof and some do not.
    No. All original mounts have a marking on the right side near the rear and all original pins have Tula proof.

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Does anyone have an observation of an Izhevsk made mount? Most of the Izhevsk SVTs have scope rails but are there any mounts out there?
    Antti, Izhevsk didn't make mounts for SVT, only Tula. I've seen ones Izhevsk sniper SVT with Tula made mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Molosky View Post
    No. All original mounts have a marking on the right side near the rear and all original pins have Tula proof.

Thanks for clarification. I can not see those marks in a few of the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Mike, check Anton's last post. There's actually one mount with ЖБ prefix. And, this time the "Б" looks like Б and not 6. The font is notably smaller than those without the prefix, just like on the butchered mount I got.

Thanks Antti. Those 3 pics did not download on my computer before my post. They are new to me. Those markings on the back and serial numbers are different than the others Anton posted and look more like my mounts. Those three pictures do show that there is no single marking types on the back at the very least. On the back we have different number sizes, with and without prefixes, proofs up high on both sides on some, none up high visible on some others. Definitely interesting.

I have a picture of an example of the common repro mount available here. They are definitely different than the three mounts I pictured and are of a lower quality steel. They are not marked or numbered either. Pics posted to show the common replica(1&5), compare with the suspect mounts(3&4) and one more pic of the suspect mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails svvt&gersnip 149.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 079.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 151.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 155.JPG  

svvt&gersnip 078.JPG  

Last edited by mike radford; 02-05-2011 at 07:51 PM.

great pics, everyone. Molosky, what kind of camera do you use?
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    T Those three pictures do show that there is no single marking types on the back at the very least. On the back we have different number sizes...
    It depends on type of a font which was used on a rifle. I think that mounts with a small font were made in 1940-1941.
    Those mounts which don't have markings on a back part have them near to the retaining screw.

Original screws have a step of a carving of 0.5 mm, and at fake it of 0.7 mm.

Original spring of the buffer is big, and the fake is small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qwq60 029.jpg  

qwq60 005.jpg  

qwq52 099.jpg  

qwq52 128.jpg  

qwq52 120.jpg  

Last edited by Molosky; 02-06-2011 at 04:43 AM.

bump to read

I want to point out that the inside of the suspect mounts show the finish tipical of investment casting : is it possible that such a technology was in use in the Urss in early 40's in the weapons industry? The original mounts are machined also inside ...

Great shots and fantastic examples Molosky.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Sticky candidate???
    Looking for USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 items.

Roll Tide Roll!!!