Up Close: Finnish Model 28-76 Rifle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up Close: Finnish Model 28-76 Rifle

Default Up Close: Finnish Model 28-76 Rifle

This rifle was build in 1977 at Weapons Depot 1 by the Finnish Military as a competition rifle. The birch stock has biathlon comp features with a high comb and pistol grip. The fore end is inletted on the bottom and left side with aluminum rails. These are used with adjustable sling swivels, palm supports and bipods.

The receiver was built in 1894 by Izhevsk. It is glass bedded into the stock and the barrel is free floating. The receiver has been modified on the rear left side by milling and tapping. This allows the competition diopter sight to be installed with its dove tail shaped base. A small portion of the right outer receiver rail is removed to allow for the turned down bolt handle to close. The stock is also recessed in this area.

The bolt is heavily modified with a flattened turn down bolt handle. The bolt is of unknown origin, but the bolt head and connector bar are also from Izhevsk. The striker has a portion of the top left shoulder beveled so it can clear the rear sight during operation. This is one of the smoothest Mosin Nagant bolts I have ever operated.

The two stage trigger is a Model 27 type, pinned and held in place by the sear spring. It is smooth with no creep whatsoever. It breaks at about 4 lbs.

The barrel is bright, sharp and pit free. I have only sighted this rifle in and did a couple of groups with surplus Czech and Hungarian light ball. This rifle consistently shot 3/4" groups and less at 100m. I'm curious how well it would do with some higher quality ammo.

Needless to say, its the pride of my Finn collection. I hope some of our fellow members from Finland might be able to provide some information on what type of accessories were used with this rifle while in military service. Even a couple of pics while in service would be nice. I have a commercial adjustable palm support/sling swivel and bipod for use, but they are not original to the rifle.

Hope you enjoy the pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model 28-76 1 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 2 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 3 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 4 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 5 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 6 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 7 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 8 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 9 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 10 (Large).jpg  

Last edited by rchmontreal; 08-27-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

A few more pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model 28-76 11 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 12 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 13 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 14 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 15 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 16 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 17 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 18 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 19 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 20 (Large).jpg  

Non Nobis Sed Patriae

And a few more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model 28-76 21 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 22 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 23 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 24 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 25 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 26 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 27 (Large).jpg  

Model 28-76 28 (Large).jpg  

Non Nobis Sed Patriae

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

That is SOOOOOOO cool, thank you for the pictures!!

Yes, great rifle and great presentation!
    Steven M Henderson

I'm down, down on the ground!

Do you know if that particular rifle was ever in Oregon?

Came from Finland directly to Canada. I don't think there are many of these rifles on this side of the Atlantic.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

I must admit, this post does not have the content I thought it would from reading the title.

Great pics of a unique rifle.

Keith

Kan I have hit?

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

WOW ! Thats COOL !!! maybe I could build one of those from one of my butchered M27's ??
    Ahh .. another project ?

manygunsmike
    Mike

Elegant, functional and masterful. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe. Thank you for sharing!

Holy smokes! Too sweet!

Regards,
    Eric

Default What can you say about a rifle like that but ? ...

Ga Ga !!

Very nice, thanks for the pic's!

pahtu.

Mauser shot below the 40th parallel in northern California

Do you know why the rear sling attachment is on the same side as the bolt handle? There sure is nice workmanship on the whole thing.

CDFingers
    I'm one of the rifles behind every blade of grass.

Thanks for the nice comments. I knew when I first came across this rifle it would be as close as I would ever get to owning a Tkiv 85. The M28-66 and M28-76 are the direct lineage to the M85. I am amazed how the Finns can hone the accuracy of the Mosin Nagant to the ultimate level. Whether that is an M91 right up to the M39. The Russians had the right formula, but the Finns knew how to perfect it.

Does anyone else possess one of these military competition rifles?

(If anyone is interested in one of these rare rifles, I know where there is a M28-66 target rifle for sale. It is fitted with a Wetzler 4 x 36 scope and is also direct from the Finnish military.)
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

That is way too cool! My two favorite things mosins and target rifles.
    The soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way.

If the rear sling attachment was on the left side of the butt, it would interfere with the correct placement of the cheek for a right handed shooter. The use of this set up (same component as on the M39) is very solid and won't get in the way.

I've tried the M39 with the sling on the side of the butt stock and found that it got in my way while shooting. I keep the slings set up in the "infantry" position.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

Quote Originally Posted by rchmontreal View Post
    (If anyone is interested in one of these rare rifles, I know where there is a M28-66 target rifle for sale. It is fitted with a Wetzler 4 x 36 scope and is also direct from the Finnish military.)
    I'm interested but your email is turned off. Please email me at [email protected] and I'll get right back to you.

Regards,
    Eric

Very nice!.
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

preachere, e-mail sent.
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

I just new it! Bubba's relatives came from Finland. Only it looks like the better part of the family stayed over there.

OMG! GREAT!

Please send it directly to me, as my 27-66 waits urgently for her sister .

Regards
    KH

The new world eagerly awaits your rifle's arrival, for family reunification purposes!

Please post some pics, kh!
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

You understood me wrong, it was an invitation for YOURS .

Here are some pics of my 27-66:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27_66 01.jpg  

27_66 02.jpg  

27_66 05.jpg  

27_66 15.jpg  

27_66 07.jpg  

27_66 08.jpg  

27_66 09.jpg  

27_66 16.jpg  

27_66 11.jpg  

27_66 13.jpg  

KH

Beautiful rifle! It looks like the stock is made from walnut, is that correct? It has wonderful lines.

Do you know who provided the diopter sights for these rifles? It seems there are a variety of sights being used. Were they commercial purchases or from the Finnish arsenal system?
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

Questions to both rch and KH:

Do you shoot these often?
    If so, at what range(s)?
    How is the accuracy?
    Ammo used?
    Is the front diopter changable and if so, do you have other inserts?

Wow to both for what is the ultimate MN bubba job!
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Just looking...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]... [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Membership Chair, Dormont Mt. Lebanon SC, PA. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=#0000ff]Visit us at : [URL="http://www.mdi.net/dml/"][COLOR=red]http://www.mdi.net/dml/[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

In answer to your questions:

1. I've only been to the range once with this rifle. Too many choices and not enough range time.

2. 100 meters.

3. 3/4" and less (I nearly fell off the bench rest at the range! Not the usual 4" Soviet 91/30 groups)

4. Czech and Hungarian surplus light ball.

5. The rear aperture disc and front diopter are both removable, but no spares were provided. There are no manufacturer's marks on the metric sights, only the arsenal "tower".
    Non Nobis Sed Patriae

How many places on Earth could these two target Mosins be seen at the same time!? The Mosin gods (in this case, rchmontreal & kh!) do bless us all here today!
    Steven M Henderson

I'm down, down on the ground!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Radom View Post
    How many places on Earth could these two target Mosins be seen at the same time!? The Mosin gods (in this case, rchmontreal & kh!) do bless us all here today!
    Amen, Brother! We are blessed to have members with such nice things and willing to share them (at least in pictures) with us.
    [B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Just looking...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]... [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]Membership Chair, Dormont Mt. Lebanon SC, PA. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=#0000ff]Visit us at : [URL="http://www.mdi.net/dml/"][COLOR=red]http://www.mdi.net/dml/[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Thank you for posting the pics!!!! I'm looking for a run-of-the-mill 91/30 with "0" collectors value to do almost the same thing to. My idea was to do exactly what the Depot did to the bolt and right/top side of the receiver in order to make room for a receiver sight. (Function above form) had NO idea that it had already been done! Now I have an example to follow.
    35W

Quote Originally Posted by Shyquestor View Post
    Questions to both rch and KH:

Do you shoot these often?
    If so, at what range(s)?
    How is the accuracy?
    Ammo used?
    Is the front diopter changable and if so, do you have other inserts?

Wow to both for what is the ultimate MN bubba job!
    Shy

I only shot it twice at 100 and 200 meters. With match ammo even I can hit the head of a nail.

Yes, the front diopter is changable, but I have no other one.

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by rchmontreal View Post
    Beautiful rifle! It looks like the stock is made from walnut, is that correct? It has wonderful lines.

Do you know who provided the diopter sights for these rifles? It seems there are a variety of sights being used. Were they commercial purchases or from the Finnish arsenal system?
    rchmontreal

Yes,it seems the stock is made from walnut.

Sorry, I do not know who provided the sights. Perhaps one of our Finnish members can add something here? Palokangas mentiones those rifles in a short chapter of his books, but if I remember right the maker of the sights is not mentioned.

Regards
    KH

Outstanding. I guess they picked up more than just SIG barrels, and barrel sleeving from the Swiss. Notice the ringed cocking piece, similar to the Schmidt Rubin series of rifles. As both use rotating the cocking piece to put the rifle on safe, it sure would make the MN safety much easier to grip and use.
    "As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of change in the air - however slight - lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." --Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    Perhaps one of our Finnish members can add something here? Palokangas mentiones those rifles in a short chapter of his books, but if I remember right the maker of the sights is not mentioned.
    Palokangas states that the diopter sight for the M/28-57, M/27-66 and M/28-76 are identical to those on the Suomen Leijona .22lr competition rifle, i.e. the Valmet Diopter M/57.

This means that there are/have been changable inserts available.

Competition shooters being what they are there have been numerous unofficial adaptions of diopter sights for the Finnish Mosins. My own set, bought a couple of years ago, are unmarked, The front diopter, a Leijona clone, has changeable inserts and the rear diopter, a home-smithed creation, hasn't.

Bokmal

my limited knowledge of the English language: Did I understand right, that Valmet made the diopters?

Thank you and regards
    KH

Jawohl!

Herzlichen Dank!
    KH

Looks like an accurate gun nice!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

Cool Very Cool!

This is EXACTLY why I've become addicted to target rifles.
    Thanks for the great pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Modifed Finn target rifle.jpg  

Finn Target rifle pic #2.jpg  

Last edited by mohctep; 01-17-2008 at 04:26 AM.

I fear your addiction will not hurt you too much, as there are not many MN target rifles around .

Regards
    KH

I'll never stop feeding this monkey!

Yeah-
    but I like ALL the target rifles-like the CG-63,Shultz and Larsen M58,and M69,the Enfield Envoy,and the Norwegian M67.
    I'm even planning on building one on an old mauser receiver[off of a junk rifle] in 30-06.
    Most of these I know I'll never have[or be able to afford],but it never hurts to dream of owning one!

I bid on these last year and was stunned at how much the Finnish depots wanted for the lot of rifles. They were MUCH higher than I would have thought. These are going to show up in the USA (in fact some here now) but they are not going to be cheap. They are interesting arms if you are into marksmanship type rifles. They are well made and great shooters. They are not common but again we will see some here soon - and in some numbers as well.

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I like hearing the inside scoop on things. Especially when I have some money saved up.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast