GC 62 Folding-Stock Biathlon Rifle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GC 62 Folding-Stock Biathlon Rifle

Question GC 62 Folding-Stock Biathlon Rifle

Hi, I'm new to this forum, Has anyone got any information and pictures of the CG62 Folding-Stock Biathlon Rifle .I have just brought one but it seems to have a some parts missing from it can anyone help, Thanks steve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock 6.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	408991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock 3.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	408988Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	408989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock 2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	408986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock 4.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	408990Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folding stock 1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	408987
    Last edited by Dutchman; 03-08-2011 at 12:45 AM.

swede is online now Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

Welcome to the forum . You have a super RARE rifle !!!!!!!!!! The only one I know of is in a museum in Sweden . There are photos in the book " Crown Jewels - the Mauser in Sweden , a Century of Accuracy & Precision " by Dana Jones . Can you post some photos ?

Here are the photos from the book :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CG62 001 (640x155).jpg  

CG62 002 (640x594).jpg  

CG62 003 (640x412).jpg  

CG62 004 (640x472).jpg  

CG62 005 (640x348).jpg  

Last edited by swede; 03-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.

You beat me to it....I was just uploading those pictures.....
    1916 m/41B
    1919 m/96
    1922 m/41B

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the photo's, The missing parts are the rear diopter also the top hand guard and retaining clips.

I chased one of these for 10 years and was never able to get one.

The handguard will be a tough one to find , but not necessary for shooting your rifle . If it is the same as a CG63 handguard , that would be a piece of luck . I just sold the only extra one I have ever had . I do have a complete CG63 stock set , but I cannot break up the set . I have the handguard spring if it is the same as a CG63 for $20 delivered . They look like they are the same . The Elit rear sight can be found here on this forum when Anders gets some diopters to sell , or EBAY or Gunbroker .

What a stroke of luck to find such a RARE rifle . I am envious !!!!!!!!

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

I think you have the envy of every mmber here who collects Swedes!!! Fantastic find. Can you post some pics?
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

I agree with Dana and Swede. A very much ultra-rare rifle! Didnt become a success for the biathlon shooters. The few "m/Salla" ever made (Uno Sonnefelt invention) did see more use.
    Please give us pics on your interesting find!
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

Great rifle and accurate.Could a M-41 or 96 handguard be possibly adapted?

No , the barrel is to thick to use a M-96 handguard . The M-41 handguard is identical to the M-96 & not really called a M-41 . As all M-41 & M-41b snipers were made from M-96's . He may be able to use a CG63 handguard . I have no idea if there is any difference in the two of them . Occasionally , you will find a CG63 handguard on EBAY or Gunbroker out of Sweden .

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Vortrekker View Post
    Great rifle and accurate.
    Interesting.....in what way do you regard this model a great rifle? Please give more info because sofar I havent found much about it. Do you have own experience or documents?
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

excellent find steve welcome to the boards my friend.
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

If the handguard is the same as the CG63, then Trade-Ex Canada has some complete CG63 stocks for sale. It is possible that Anthony might have a spare handguard. There should be no problem shipping it to the USA, but if I can help, please PM me.
    I can make it to the front gate in 3.2 seconds. Can you do it in 3.1?

Quote Originally Posted by arilar View Post
    Interesting.....in what way do you regard this model a great rifle? Please give more info because sofar I havent found much about it. Do you have own experience or documents?
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    I shot quite a few matches with the 63 Swede in 6.5x55 and found it to be an incredibly accurate rifle.As an advanced military skiier I have shot many Military biathlons which are different than Olympic Biathlons in that you use high power military weapons as the biathlon was originally intended.In military biathlon the shooting events are ; 100 meters on skis standing,200 meters kneeling on skis w/crossed ski pole rifle support and 300 meters on skis in prone position.I believe the excellent accuracy of this weapon and the portability of the folding stock while skiing would make it quite perfect for this task.I am also sure that is the reason it was designed.
    Last edited by Deutsche Vortrekker; 03-06-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Ok, thanks. Hoped you had experience with the CG 62. On the contrary it seemed that the possibility to fold the stock didnt make up to its disadvantages. Gevärsfaktoriet in Eskilstuna went on to a more traditional stock but with a hooked buttplate. The important thing seemed to be the carrying harness as Dana shows at page 191 in "Crown Jewels". The CG 62 is told to be to bulky (according to my talks to Uno Sonnefelt) but designed so partly because of military use. I have written a little about that in this thread https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Swedish-rifle.
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Last edited by arilar; 03-06-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    Arms are for hugging

Default More info from Sweden

One of our Swedish members sent me the following photos on the CG62 rifle . We see the bar under the forearm with I am guessing tapped holes for a hand stop or swivel .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CG62-2 (640x287).jpg  

CG62 (640x296).jpg  

CG62-4 (421x640).jpg  

CG62-6 (640x458).jpg  

Default Action photos

More photos from the same Swedish member . Note the knurled thumb piece is missing on this rifle ( looks blued ) . Probably updated with the CG63 cocking piece / firing pin .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CG62-7 (640x383).jpg  

CG62-9 (640x383).jpg  

CG62-10 (640x383).jpg  

CG62-11 (640x383).jpg  

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Those are some awesome pics. Looks like all three are practicing with the CG62 in the last picture.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by swede View Post
    More photos from the same Swedish member . Note the knurled thumb piece is missing on this rifle ( looks blued ) . Probably updated with the CG63 cocking piece / firing pin .
    Did you notice some of the older cars in picture 4 .Bet those photos were taken in the 60's

I have a spare m/63 hand guard I would be willing to part with. I would be glad to be part of making a treasure like this whole again!

Send me a message Steve.....

Quote Originally Posted by junze View Post
    I have a spare m/63 hand guard I would be willing to part with. I would be glad to be part of making a treasure like this whole again!

Send me a message Steve.....
    I also have a M/63 Target bolt that I would part with if needed.The semi straight one with the slight downward offset.I replaced it with a straight drop down 38 bolt handle that I liked much better.

Hi, Junze Thanks for the offer yes I would like to buy it. I nearly didn't buy the rifle because the guy I brought it off has taped the receiver for a scope, I think it was done because their was no diopter sight on it when he brought it 20 odd years ago. So I decided to buy it I know these are rare it's a pity it was taped, But I'm going to restore it back to how it should be.
    How do I go about buying the hand guard from you

[email protected]

I can more than likely outfit you with the diopter also.

John

Wonderful. Absolutely wonderful! One of the many benefits of being a gunboards member.
    A little over a day and the missing parts are found.

Good Day,
    Mr Lange, are you going to post pictures of the rifle? I'd like to see the action that is installed.
    Regards,
    Michael

Sorry Michael I don't know how to sent pictures other than email
    Regards
    Steve

send them to me and I'll post them:

[email protected]

Dutch (moderator)

I don't know if you found the proper hand guard retainer and front end cap for your rifle or not. I have a spare Cg-63 front end cap with the correct hand guard retainer and proper screw to attach it to your rifle. The only part I dont have is the correct front sling swivel which is also held on by the screw. Let me know if you are interested. I'm sure we can come to a accommodation.

Here is a photo of what I have. The stuff on the hand guard retainer is glue from a heat shield which was at one time glued on

I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Can not wait to see this cg62 Biathlon Rifle !!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by unclegeorge View Post
    Can not wait to see this cg62 Biathlon Rifle !!!!!!!!!
    How about looking at the first note of this thread.......

Dutch

Thanks Steve for the pics on your very much interesting rifle!! Glad that one actually surfaced. Must be very few alive today and not many produced in the first place. So yours is in 7,62 caliber then? And has been scoped for hunting use during a period??
    Of course a misunderstanding in "Crown Jewels" that this model were used in Olympics 1960 because it came alive some years later. As I have been told did the folding-stockrifles used by the Swedish team in Innsbruck still be the m/Salla as in 1960. If I recall right did only two Swedish shooters in 1960 use the m/Salla with folding stock and the others used more traditional stocks.
    Arms are for hugging

Default Folding Stock Biathlon Rifle

Here is an article from the June , 1962 American Rifleman magazine . The Swedish & French 4 man teams used a folding stock rifle at the 1962 World Championship in Hameenlinna , Finland . No name mentioned , but these would be the m/Salla , not a CG62 . The Swede team beat everyone in the standing position with the folding stock rifles . Unfortunately , they finished 5th overall . Here are the standings :

Finland = 71
    USSR =67
    East Germany = 61
    Norway = 58
    Sweden = 55
    Poland = 51
    USA = 44
    France = 41
    Austria = 40
    Great Britain = 24
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1962 Biathalon 002 (431x640).jpg  

1962 Biathalon 001 (457x640).jpg  

Last edited by swede; 03-10-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Default Folding stock rifle

Here is an article in the Swedish magazine , " Allt Skytte " , dated Sept. 1958 about the folding stock rifle designed by Weapon Master Uno Sonnefelt . Not called m/Salla at this time .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Folding Stock 001 (478x640).jpg  

Folding Stock 002 (640x303).jpg  

Steve lange your welcome on board,drilled and tapped does not matter at this point of time because of the rarity of this rifle,plus you brought this rifle to the attention for us collectors that have not seen one,myself included,you did well thanks.Dutch thankyou for bringing the picture to the post.Regards unclegeorge.

Unclegeorge, Thanks for your comment I hope to put the CG 62 back in it's origional condition.Regards .Steve

Default More on "M/Salla"

Here is an article in the Swedish magazine , " Allt Skytte " , dated Sept. 1958 about the folding stock rifle designed by Weapon Master Uno Sonnefelt . Not called m/Salla at this time .
    The "Allt Skytte" number 3 (second year) is printed 1959 (as printed on last page). On first page is a picture with text "Scoreboard at SM (Swedish Championships) targetrifle in Västerås September 1958".
    Can be confusing if you dont read Swedish.

This little print has the best info regarding Uno Sonnefelts rifle ever written (to my knowledge). Uno explains here why and how he developed his rifle. First tested by Adolf Viklund (as Uno from F4 in Östersund) during the winterseason 1958-59. Found out that it was to loose in the "knee-joint". After this was improved did the next testshooter , Klas Lestander (Olympic gold winner 1960), find it very accurate during preolympic games in Squaw Valley in early 1959.
    In this print told that to that point only this two rifles made.
    The Swedish headorganisation for Olympic biathlon was SMI (Sveriges militära idrottsförbund) and they decided to go for the Uno Sonnefelt rifle. In "Allt Skytte", from Norma, number 4 (1961) told that SMI would order 10 more m/Salla beside the around "half-dozen" already existing for the winter-season 1961-62 (that would include World-Champs 1962). This 10 rifle was supposed to be slightly modified to its last style. Also told that "other nations is on hunt for this rifle". Here the model is called "m/Salla" that I guess is more a nickname given to it. What is written in "Allt Skytte" number 4 came primarily from an article in the daily newpaper "Östersunds-Posten".
    Uno himself has told me that only 12 rifles was made from m/96 loaned from GF. He might be wrong on the exactly number and as the article mention maybe around 16 produced? He has also told me that GF wanted to engage him to develope what later became the CG62 but he didnt want to move from Östersund to Eskilstuna. He declared that the CG62 didnt become the best rifle for biathlon use. Also that the m/Salla rifles later were sent in to GF and to be destroyed. Not unlikely because of similar storys I have been told about GF:s "policy".
    Nevertheless I am happy that at least one CG62 is now in private hands and to be restored. Maybe, maybe one m/Salla also might have survived?
    I will later show pics from a book how a CG63 rifle could be modified to become a good Olympic biathlonrifle in the middle of the 60s.
    Regards,
    ARILAR
    Arms are for hugging

Default Pics on m/Salla in action!!

Steve, hope you dont mind us for using your thread showíng other Swedish Biathlonrifles than your marvelous CG62 but that rifle made us all so excited!!

Here a pic on Adolf Wiklund using the m/Salla during Winter Olympics 1960. See that he has placed his skies nicely behind him.

And next is the winner Klas Lestander aiming with the other m/Salla used.

Arms are for hugging

Hi Arilar, Go for it the more information we have the better.
    Regards,
    Steve

Really interesting biathlon rifles. I found this thread after googling this add I found in a 1962 issue of the norwegian shooting organizations magazine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160701_123503 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	1496169

One of our Swedish members sent me the following photos on the CG62 rifle . We see the bar under the forearm with I am guessing tapped holes for a hand stop or swivel .

This is an old thread but I am resurrecting it because I saw one of these stocks this year in Ontario Canada - Perth Gun show. Guy had it in original box and papers. Very solidly built unit. Makes me wonder if there are more in Canada?

You missed your chance by NOT buying such a RARE stock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never heard of one on the open market before . That is a first .

Swedish Contract P51d Mustang

You missed your chance by NOT buying such a RARE stock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never heard of one on the open market before . That is a first .
    Would have required the permanent mod to mu CG in order to install it. That was the only reason why I didn't go for it.

Steve, have you succeed to complete restore your rifle as you wish

What I can see on the photos in the first pos,t is the actual rifle equipped with a heavy barrel and then is a normal hand guard not in use, it doesen´t simply fit. The standard front end cap with out the spring but with sling swivel can be used.

There was a special purpose made swivel (first for the CG 63 S and CG 67 biathlon rifle) clamped around the barrel with a additional wooden piece to fit on the upper side of the barrel. This construction worked better together with the often used carrying harness.

I have also a converted magazine floor plate used on this rifle, how this item was used I can´t tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8294 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8295 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8753 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8754 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8755 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8756 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8757 (640x360).jpg  

IMG_8758 (360x640).jpg  

"Einbildung ist auch ne Bildung, bei Manche Leuten sogar die einzige"

Maybe it's a better solution for strengthening, one time, 20 years before or more, on the mountain descending, i slipped and i fell on my back, on my rifle (CG 62 Folding-Stock Biathlon Rifle) and the standard front end because of strike (shock) was loosened and fell in pieces (and i lost the spring). Probable this other system avoid such kind of events.
    Last edited by Ian Stefan; 03-15-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast