Berthier 1907-15/M34

Thread: Berthier 1907-15/M34

Default Berthier 1907-15/M34

I was offered the above rifle for sale. I have been told only 40,000 were converted and only 4000 of those were the Calvary model with the ring on the front band for mounting the sling. It also has all matching numbers and an excellent shiny bore. I have no Idea what one of these rifles is worth as I have never seen one for sale. If some one could give me a ball park idea it would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to have this rifle.
    TIA

Approximately 50,000 of these were converted from 1934 to 1939 of which 90% converted were the infantry version. There were two different variations made, one for the infantry and one for the cavalry, the difference between these two was the sling placement, the infantry model had the typical under mounted rear sling configuration and the cavalry model utilizing the sling bar and both had the concentric ring mounted on the left side of the weapon. (I will have to go back to my post on this under the stickies and change it to read as above, I made a mistake when writing it up ... CORRECTED)
    This one is the Infantry version, not Cavalry.

Patrick
    Last edited by 1886lebel; 04-09-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

samnev2:

Not to be hard on the seller, as so little is published regarding this model, but his units numbers are at least 23,000 light. The last reported standard example has the serial number of 'F 61241', and the one confirmed cavalry rifle is 'F 6302X'. The number sampling is still so small that nothing is definitive, other than the full sequence of production numbers appear to have been used progressively. The "cavalry" model may have only appeared at the end of the production run, and unlike the Mle1886 M93 R35 is distinct, and arguably is purpose built for that service. The bayonet provision is for the sabre type, the piling-hook is curved, the bolt handle is bent in the fashion of the Berthier carbines, and the butt-stock sling mount is a bar, rather than a swivel.

http://armesfrancaises.free.fr/FR Mle 07-15 M34.html

The above link is quite good for photographs, with only their 'numbers fabricated' holding to the older published figure of 50,000. As to price, the amount asked, and even occationally paid, vary greatly. Most are in wonderful condition and matching. It looks like a fine representation that is being offered, all the same, the market for such an esoteric model is limited. The prices quoted below are quite inflated, unless the buyer is very motivated, and most certainly if that stock has been refinished.
    Last edited by orcmastiffs; 04-10-2012 at 05:02 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input guys. I assume all that is correct. Since this is obviously an infantry model what is it worth as is?

I saw one at a show for $2500 three years ago.

Paddy

THere are extremely difficult to find in the USA... Last one I saw for sale was two years ago on GB... It was in similar condition to your pics, and sold for $2K

I've wanted one for some time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Paddyofurniture View Post
    I saw one at a show for $2500 three years ago.

Paddy
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

FWIW---Two sold on the Trader last fall for $850 more or less, one of those had been on Gunbroker for several weeks with a starting bid of $950 and no takers.

Yep, you just never know what they'll bring! I had not seen the other two..... they won't go inexpensively.. that's for sure!
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"