Interesting photo, Germans with Norwegian Krag

Thread: Interesting photo, Germans with Norwegian Krag

Default Interesting photo, Germans with Norwegian Krag

I found this while surfing the web. I have never seen it before and thought it was neat. The caption stated it was Luftwaffe personnel with an 1894 Norwegian Krag. Pretty interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Krag%20Luftwaffe.jpg  

State of Franklin Arsenal
    Est. 2007

Kilroy - Thanks for posting this photo. As we all know, the German armed forces put to use any suitable weapon, vehicle, and equipment of all types. I have an identical 1894 Krag; likely a "bringback" souvenir, as it had a barracks bag stock cut.
    "You may fire when ready, Gridley" (Admiral Dewey at Manila Bay)

I wonder if he appreciated that smooth bolt action, or wanted a K98?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alkali View Post
    Kilroy - Thanks for posting this photo. As we all know, the German armed forces put to use any suitable weapon, vehicle, and equipment of all types. I have an identical 1894 Krag; likely a "bringback" souvenir, as it had a barracks bag stock cut.
    The German were no stranger to Krag Jorgensen system. Quite a few Danish 1889s ended up in Volkssturm hands. My 1889 is duffle cut so as to suggest it was a war trophy during the defense of Berlin. I still need an 1894 infantry for my collection.

As to the German soldier utilizing the Krag, I'm sure he appreciated the buttery smooth action compared to a Karabiner 98, with less recoil to boot!
    Est. 2007

Well during the German Occupation of Norway the Nazis tried to built Krag in the norwegian workshops to equipe theyr troops. Now the various "Bastard Krags" are interesting collection items.

regards
    Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Lang Krag), Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Privat), Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M/1904, Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M1912/22, Krag-Jørgensen skarpskyttergevær M/1923, Krag-Jørgensen Elgriflet M/51, Krag-Jorgensen skarpskyttergevær made in the last '70s, Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M1889/10, Krag-Jørgensen M1889/24 Artillery, Krag-Jørgensen Carbine M1889 ( M.89 1929)

Quote Originally Posted by redimacchia View Post
    Well during the German Occupation of Norway the Nazis tried to built Krag in the norwegian workshops to equipe theyr troops. Now the various "Bastard Krags" are interesting collection items.

regards
    I seem to recall reading some time ago that the Norwegians did not build Krags under German occupation to the full specifications. I.E., they purposefully built them substandard so as to not give the Germans quality weapons. I do not know if that is true or not, but would make sense.
    Est. 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy was here View Post
    I seem to recall reading some time ago that the Norwegians did not build Krags under German occupation to the full specifications. I.E., they purposefully built them substandard so as to not give the Germans quality weapons. I do not know if that is true or not, but would make sense.
    I have seen 5 of the Krags made during the German Occupation. I agree with you the finish was terrible a sub standard from the past Norwegian production but some of them were used in the '70s and '80s to built some interesting and precise shooting rifles.

regards
    Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Lang Krag), Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M/1894 (Privat), Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M/1904, Krag-Jørgensen Karabin M1912/22, Krag-Jørgensen skarpskyttergevær M/1923, Krag-Jørgensen Elgriflet M/51, Krag-Jorgensen skarpskyttergevær made in the last '70s, Krag-Jørgensen Gevær M1889/10, Krag-Jørgensen M1889/24 Artillery, Krag-Jørgensen Carbine M1889 ( M.89 1929)

German soldiers in Norway armed themselves with Norwegians Krags as early as spring/summer of 1940. At the coastal batteries "HKB 67./977 Ferkingstad" and "HKB 3./978 Syre" the german soldiers had Krags till the end of the war. (Located at the west coast of Norway)

Hand

In some Gun digest from the '80's, which I can't find at the moment, there is a picture of soldiers with early german helmets, (those with provision for more armour in front), armed with a Madsen machine gun. The text made no explanation.
    Anyone who knows the picture, and the explanation. Same book had a story about super heavy long range german railroad artillery, with which they bombarded Paris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norwegian Krag.02.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	232.3 KB 
ID:	573929

Here's a photo of US troops in 1945 with weapons surrendered by the German Volkssturm including several Norwegian Krags.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982