Has anyone come across this Stamp before??

Thread: Has anyone come across this Stamp before??

Default Has anyone come across this Stamp before??

I'm trying to get some info on this stamp.
    Has anyone come across it before?? It should be a manufacturers logo, such as seki, gifu suya etc
    It comes off a sword i have.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LOGOERM7.jpg  

It's a so far unidentified and undocumented very scarce maker variation of the T-95 NCO. You have the second one that I have heard of since the one I found some years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-95 new mark 1.JPG  

T-95 new mark 2.JPG  

T-95 new mark 3.JPG  

T-95 new mark 4.JPG  

T-95 new mark 5.JPG  

Thanks Edokko,
    I came across mine some four yrs ago by chance, what caught my attention at the time was the 'cavalry back sling modification'?? (it has two rings for mounting, the normal one and one on the drag as well). That, and the clean conditon was enough for me to buy it. I noticed the stamp only a few yrs back when i got serious and started to research into these iconic pieces of WW2 militaria.
    I will take some pics and post to share with everyone on the forum, thanks for posting some of yours!
    Cheers
    Ernst

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

How about better picts and more info on the cavalry back sling mod?
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Finally got some pics to show you guys..
    The differences between the two swords are minor, my scabbard has very little of the original black paint left, edokko's has green painted scabbard. Also the tsuba washers on mine have the crimped edges (Dawsons Cyclopedia type 2 , edokko's is type 2A . pg197)
    The numbers are matching and very close to yours edokko only 52 off.
    I have spoken to an expert who is of the opinion that the extra ring on the drag is for slinging the sword across the soldiers back, leaving the hands free. There is no evidence to claim it is cavalry use, although evidence exists that foot soldiers had used back slings. (Fuller & Gregory-Japanese Military Civil Swords & Dirks plate91 pg69)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gbWhole00.jpg  

gbHandle.jpg  

gbFront.jpg  

gbDrag Ring.jpg  

gbNumber Blade.jpg  

gbNumber Scabbard.jpg  

Last edited by Stegel; 01-11-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: adding pics again take 2

Stegel,
    the attachments don't show up. There now, thanks.
    Last edited by 03man; 01-13-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

Stegel, thank you for the photos ! Very interesting. The numbers are close enough that it may be that this particular sub contractor made only a small amount within a very narrow band of serial number range.
    Does the ring on the drag have a split seam or is it welded into a complete ring ?

The Drag ring has a split seam, it is not welded. The top hanger ring appears to be welded to be a continuous ring.
    I noticed that the drag has a stamp which i also am not sure of, does your's have a similar stamp?
    I have looked but cannot find a similar stamp to identify, i'm assuming it is an inspection stamp which would be linked to a specific Arsenal??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gbDrag Stamp.jpg  

gbDrag Stamp1.jpg  

gbDrag Stamp2.jpg  

Stegel, thanks for the reply. Most likely the ring on the drag was added by the owner and not placed by the sword maker, but nevertheless it's an interesting addition.
    The inspection mark on your photo is the Kanji 社 (sha) that was used by the IJA arsenal system as the final inspection mark for weapons produced by private contractors. I am in Japan right now but will check my 95 as soon as I return home and will let you know if mine has the same inspection mark on that location.

One of my seki blades has the sha, the other may be hiding under the paint. Both Nagoya swords have the "na" in the same area on the drag.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Near Charlotte, NC

Was browsing the forum and looked back on this thread by chance... i know it's a year old, but out of interest does your drag have the same stamp on it? This is asking mainly Edokko, in relation to the thread but is open to any other members who have Type 95 swords.

What i find interesting that i haven't as yet come across any reference to this stamp anywhere, let alone in Fuller's or Dawson's books.
    Thanks in advance to any replies.

03man, could you post some pics of your seki blade with this stamp please?
    Ern
    Last edited by Stegel; 03-10-2014 at 01:33 AM.

Yes, my example has the same 社 "Sha" stamp on the scabbard drag as with some of my Suya Shoten made T-95s too. The Sha stamp was a final inspection stamp used for non-arsenal private contractor made weapons, so you will also see the same inspection marks on Kokubinji Nambus, Tokyo Juki T-99 rifles etc too.

You will not see this 水 "Sui" contractor variation on any of the reference books (Fuller, Dawson etc) because it is a newly discovered variation. Your's was the second that I know of and in the last year since you posted I heard of maybe one another (perhaps it was an example in Australia), but that's it.

Thanks for the quick reply Edokko, and your excellent explanation!!
    The drag stamp "Sha" was what i was referring to, i haven't seen it in any of the sword reference books.

Quote Originally Posted by Stegel View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Edokko, and your excellent explanation!!
    The drag stamp "Sha" was what i was referring to, i haven't seen it in any of the sword reference books.
    My type 95 NCO has that inspectors marking. I think its so small that most guys don't even notice without very close examination. This concept is the same with American Civil War 1860 cavalry sabers having inspector initials on the drag comb, most wear or rust till unrecognizable. But many people don't notice them since they located in an obscure area on the scabbard.

Judging by the IRON tsuba, your sword was made in 1941-43 era.

Default Mizuno

Quote Originally Posted by Edokko View Post
    You will not see this 水 "Sui" contractor variation on any of the reference books (Fuller, Dawson etc) because it is a newly discovered variation.
    Better late than never I suppose. The company logo is that of Mizuno 水野. I know very little about the company other than they made Type 95 Military Swords 九五式軍刀. Nick over at the War Relics Forum states the contract was cancelled due to quality control issues. If anyone knows the full company name and location, I and others would surely appreciate the information.
    http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/f216/s...4/#post1753234
    Last edited by Kiipu; 07-04-2020 at 03:08 PM.

There were at least two individuals in the sword business with the surname Mizuno in the Tōkyō area, Mizuno Tomesaburo & Mizuno Yashichi. Both are mentioned in the directory 大日本刀剣商工名鑑. See link below for an English index. Now, one can add a store to the list of possible makers, 水野丹冶商店 Mizuno Tanji Shōten. The store showed up in a 1941 directory which places it in the time frame of the Mizuno Type 95.
    http://www.jp-sword.com/files/temp/shokomeikan.htm
    Last edited by Kiipu; 06-30-2020 at 04:02 PM.

Kiipu, thanks for the info on the new clue to that T-95 mystery maker. I'll do some checking around on the name Mizuno that were in any ways involved in sword or other blade production back then.
    This maker has always been an enigma.

江戸っ子, you are welcome. I also discovered that the 1941 directory mentioned in post 16 also has an 水野丹冶商店 [Mizuno Tanji Shōten] advertisement in it. Possibly this new discovery will help.

The outer circle of the Mizuno logo has 6 (six) protrusions on it. Does anyone know what this could represent? Some big dummy over at the War Relics Forum (WRF) suggested it was a water wheel!
    http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/f216/s...9/#post2052429
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1941-tokyo-f705-mizuno.jpg  

Last edited by Kiipu; 07-14-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Ha!
    Thanks for the updates Kiipu!
    Great work!