SVT-40 Sniper list - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SVT-40 Sniper list

Thank you for the nigh instant reply. I can take nicer photos in the morning with the canon, but these should do for now. Am I wrong in thinking it is нельзя to post a picture of the notch in case it is authentic and someone tries to copy it? I do not want to break any forum rules. I have included the notch pictures but please feel free to remove them if they break rules. Thank you again.

EDIT: DO NOT BUY AN SVT WITH THIS NOTCH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

image.jpg  

image.jpg  

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 04-27-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Talking

As I hath been once more claimed by insomnia here is a single photo of the non matching but very nice SVT scope. It is a progress model from 1940 with the clearest optics I have ever seen on an old soviet scope. It appears to have been refurbished in 1959 but the elevation turret looks like the SVT calibrated one. The mount has the number of the rifle stamped on but despite its super rigid fit I still have my doubts that it is authentic. Again, no expert here.

Edit it my serial number (last post on last page) is ГM124. Since notches really aren't a make or break decider of authenticity I am hoping the serial number will shed light on the issue. I hope I did not get taken advantage of AGAIN by another seller. I am beginning to tire of the liars and thieves in the gun industry.

Last edited by JiveTurkey; 04-27-2015 at 01:12 AM.

Ratnik will answer to all your questions soon, I'm sure of it. I just must say that the notch of your rifle is pretty terrible take on it. Not original and does not even try to imitate the original. Somebody who did not know what he was doing cut the notch. Hopefully it does it's job though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Just from the three pictures you posted, I don't see the "C" on the right side of the receiver. I have never seen a notch like that, Bugelson may be right in that it was done by somebody who didn't know what he was doing. Also, again just from these pictures, the mount looks like a modern reproduction mount.

As mentioned, notch is not a real one, and the rifle isn't a legit sniper. Mount is fake also.

Greeeaaaat. Skunked again for a large sum of cash. This thing better be a G_ddamn tack driver. Anyone want to buy a vowel for that last sentence? If my luck holds out it will either FTF every time or the entire breech will simply explode leaving me unharmed but fuming. We can go ahead and stem the flow of "it's fake it's fake it's fake" comments now. I will leave the photos up as examples of what NOT to buy for other newcomers to the SVT world. I knew I should have bought that '39 Luger instead. I knew those guns inside and out. Someone could have at least said "nice scope."

Do you have a picture of how the mount is serialized? So we know what to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by vgreve View Post
    Do you have a picture of how the mount is serialized? So we know what to avoid.
    Absolutely. I still hold out hope the rifle prefix might check out as nobody has replied regarding that possibility. I included to badge because one just never knows who was Комите́т госуда́рственной безопа́сности. Maybe it will inspire terror in the hearts of forgers liars and thieves as it once did.

Reporting 1941 SNT HA 1231 (Tula of course) "C" marked in standard refurb condition.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Question for the experts, i recently acquired this 1941 SVT40 sniper which has been confirmed as a true sniper ...ЛБ 822
    My question is which muzzle break should be on there? 4 port or 6 port?
    Also i took it all apart yesterday and noticed the C of course on the receiver but lots of other "C's" like the barrel, stock, barrel shroud etc.. is this a common thing?

thanks and great site!

Quote Originally Posted by canadianmosin View Post
    Question for the experts, i recently acquired this 1941 SVT40 sniper which has been confirmed as a true sniper ...ЛБ 822
    My question is which muzzle break should be on there? 4 port or 6 port?
    Also i took it all apart yesterday and noticed the C of course on the receiver but lots of other "C's" like the barrel, stock, barrel shroud etc.. is this a common thing?

thanks and great site!
    On 1941 snipers the muzzle brake was the 6 port original version.

As I have understood the larger 4 port version was introduced in very late run of the Podolsk plant production in the fall of 1941, just prior the evacuation. Later the evacuated former Tula plant in Mednogorsk took the 4 port version in production. But this was in the spring of 1942 if I can recall it correctly.

thanks! i guess the 4 port was installed during the refurb along with the AVT stock, i have another 1941 with a 6 port i guess i could swap out to make it that much closer to true configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by canadianmosin View Post
    thanks! i guess the 4 port was installed during the refurb along with the AVT stock, i have another 1941 with a 6 port i guess i could swap out to make it that much closer to true configuration.
    What Bugelson said is pretty spot on. Your rifle would have had a 6 port originally. But since it has been refrubed the 4 port is ok. It is really up to you.

Please post pictures of the C marks you are referring to. The receiver mark is important and signifies that the rifle is a sniper. However, the others I believe mean nothing in relation to the rifle being a sniper. But I am curious to see them and see if my rifle also has them. Thanks

I'll try to post pics this afternoon, rifle is still all apart so its the perfect time
    Last edited by canadianmosin; 10-25-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Ok so here are some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	950268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0685.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	950269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	950270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	950271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	950272

Thanks for posting. You do have a legit sniper. I don't think that the C on the stock or heat shield (which is Podolsk by the way) mean anything in relation to it being a sniper. I am not sure about the barrel. Perhaps Ratnik knows something about this. I am curious to know.

There is 1940 Tula sniper currently on Gunbroker

Quote Originally Posted by Lenscrafter View Post
    It's not a 1940 sniper, it's 1940 regular rifle with non factory made notch
    There was no serial production of sniper rifles in 1940. That's not an somebody's opinion, guess, etc. It's a fact, which is confirmed by numerous document . There were no production of mounts, sniper barrels, etc. in 1940. Few examples were produced for tests during 1940, but they had notches identical to 1941 sniper rifles, and their serials are recorded in documents.
    Factory #314 administration even get a reprimand at the beginning of 1941, because they can't start production of sniper rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    It's not a 1940 sniper, it's 1940 regular rifle with non factory made notch
    There was no serial production of sniper rifles in 1940. That's not an somebody's opinion, guess, etc. It's a fact, which is confirmed by numerous document . There were no production of mounts, sniper barrels, etc. in 1940. Few examples were produced for tests during 1940, but they had notches identical to 1941 sniper rifles, and their serials are recorded in documents.
    Factory #314 administration even get a reprimand at the beginning of 1941, because they can't start production of sniper rifles
    Looks like a non- bubbaed notch....

God I would love to have one of these but here in the great communist state of new yorkski and being a C&R license holder I would have to register it. And I am most certainly not doing that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There were a few podolsk parts on the rifle, i guess during the refurb it wasnt too much of a concern. I am picking the correct parts as i find them and will of course keep everything that was original to the rifle.

BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

The only one I found is dated 1942.....?

Quote Originally Posted by BB91 View Post
    The only one I found is dated 1942.....?
    The 1940 is not listed as a sniper. Notch is the wrong shape, but as Ratnik points out no rifles/mounts were being produced in 1940. Only small numbers of one off pieces made for testing.

The 1942 has a legion of problems on its own. Notch looks bad too IMO.

BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    The 1940 is not listed as a sniper. Notch is the wrong shape, but as Ratnik points out no rifles/mounts were being produced in 1940. Only small numbers of one off pieces made for testing.

Found it and thanks!

Notch looks ok to me, and it looks like it was cut at least before the Russians refurbed the rifle since the blueing looks consistent all over receiver (judging from the pictures). But that's just my opinion...

+1 Ratnik and RyanE.

The 1940 is not a real sniper. Never was and never will be. And as pointed out the 1942 is not a factory produced sniper either. I am afraid someone is going to get burned bad on the 1942.

Notch looks ok to me, and it looks like it was cut at least before the Russians refurbed the rifle since the blueing looks consistent all over receiver (judging from the pictures). But that's just my opinion...
    That is not a real notch.

I love when somebody creates fake sniper and ruins 1942 railed rifle that is actually more scarce than sniper.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post

But some well gun educated forum members are keep bidding on 1940

But some well gun educated forum members are keep bidding on 1940
    This does not change the fact that it is a fake. Why do you defend this rifle so much? When it is clearly a fake rifle. Are you the seller?

No, am not a seller, but really thought the notch was done by Russians before the refurb

Ratnik, are you still collecting serial numbers for non-grooved-receiver SVTs? I have a 1942 Tula with S/N ДБ5225 - a refurbed mixmaster but in pretty good shape.

Regards,
    Joel

Alex,

I recently bought this SVT40 sniper listed above; НЖ 1082 (no C proofmark). It looks to me like it does have the C proof but it was partially struck over top of another square marking. Here is a photo of the area. What do you think?

Thank you,
    Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SVT sniper C.jpg  

Interested in buying a factory original Izhevsk PU sniper with original wartime matched scope. Long shot but a guy can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by PAshutr3 View Post
    Alex,

I recently bought this SVT40 sniper listed above; НЖ 1082 (no C proofmark). It looks to me like it does have the C proof but it was partially struck over top of another square marking. Here is a photo of the area. What do you think?

Thank you,
    Eric
    Does this square mark have П letter inside?
    Like this https://forums.gunboards.com/attachme...0&d=1430111856

If it have, it's postwar adjustment shooting, so original C marking can't be stamped over
    Last edited by Ratnik; 02-20-2016 at 02:34 AM.

It does look like the picture you posted. I will have to dig my loop out and look at it under some good light again. My first thought it was a bounce of the die but the corners looked more rounded compared to the square under. Thank you for the information!

Eric
    Interested in buying a factory original Izhevsk PU sniper with original wartime matched scope. Long shot but a guy can dream!

Alex,

I took another look at the markings with my 10x loop tonight. The curved marking that I thought may be a partial struck C is definitely struck over top of some form of partial square marking. There is another faint line inside the larger three sided square box as I call it. It may be the marking you linked to above, but I can't say for sure. Whatever the top stamp is, there is a definite curve to it so I don't think it was a bounce of the die when they stamped the square marking below.

Thanks,
    Eric

I also own sniper without C proofmark (HB1660), so I'm not surprised with it's absnense. Our rifles are very early war production, so I think confusion of the first period of war can be explanation to absence of C proofmark

Alex,

Thanks for looking it over; I hope to try a few shots with the open sights soon!

Eric

bump to read

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	515.7 KB 
ID:	2363969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	2363977Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	2363985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	690.6 KB 
ID:	2363993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	2364001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	594.8 KB 
ID:	2364009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1,002.8 KB 
ID:	2364017Sorry can you check my Tula 1942 ?

Stock are not correct, because it's and AVT 1944 Stock.
    Thanks Michele
    Attachment 2363913Attachment 2363921Attachment 2363929Attachment 2363937Attachment 2363945Attachment 2363945Attachment 2363953Attachment 2363953Attachment 2363961
    Michele
    Italy

Michele: That isn't a factory notch. Your rifle was an unusual '42 non-sniper with siderails that either (optimistically) was notched during use or by a recent owner. I have an identical '42 with very similar non-factory notch that (apparently, acc. to previous owner) was on it when it was taken out of a case of refurbs.

Ruprecht

Thank you.
    I bought this in Italy from a distributor, so no precedent owner.
    Maybe the notch was done during refurb ?
    Michele
    Italy

uzz75: It would have been done either before ("field expedient") or after refurb ("bubba"). I don't think, from the ones I've seen, that original sniper rifles were treated differently from run of the mill rifles at refurb- in other words, they weren't going to be used as snipers going forward. My own '42 with non-factory notch is, sadly, one of my least accurate SVT's, probably due to bore condition. How does yours look?

Ruprecht

How about this one:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/665653933

1942 Tula
    Serial ФБ 1516

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    How about this one:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/665653933

1942 Tula
    Serial ФБ 1516
    On my opinion it is legit

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast