SVT-40 Sniper list - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: SVT-40 Sniper list

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    all original factory matching including mag and mount will cost twice as much at the very least
    Yep, a mag mismatch 1941 (much more common than a 1942) sold with a repro mount for more than that and this was a couple of years ago now

Yea I suppose that is true. I suppose my thoughts on price is too low. Thanks for clarification.

Default Podolsk 1941 notech ( field ? )

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    I'd like to ask if it is possible to elaborate a little bit more the "case" presented by Ratnik. Do I understand correctly that a Podolsk 1941 regular rifle was war-time field modified and used as a sniper rifle and such "modification" was not a one-time practice but was done to other rifles, which nowadays might be considered as "more" legit sniper than post-war bubba-altered?
    Are there any other known Podolsk field notched sniper rifles?
    The reason I'm asking is that Podolsk 1941 rifle with non-legit notch which seems to be non-refurb ( at least no refurb markings are visble and the description says that the bore is in rather poor condition - grooves are visible but barrel is pitted inside ) :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Podolsk 1941 SVT-notched AB876.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	370.8 KB 
ID:	3656307

Could it be one of those war-time field notched Podolsk snipers? Or there is no such a thing like war-time field notched "legit" sniper SVT?
    Last edited by Miller Tyme; 05-21-2020 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Edit out price
    Весло с ПСО-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    I'd like to ask if it is possible to elaborate a little bit more the "case" presented by Ratnik. Do I understand correctly that a Podolsk 1941 regular rifle was war-time field modified and used as a sniper rifle and such "modification" was not a one-time practice but was done to other rifles, which nowadays might be considered as "more" legit sniper than post-war bubba-altered?
    Are there any other known Podolsk field notched sniper rifles?
    The reason I'm asking is that Podolsk 1941 rifle with non-legit notch which seems to be non-refurb ( at least no refurb markings are visble and the description says that the bore is in rather poor condition - grooves are visible but barrel is pitted inside ) :

Could it be one of those war-time field notched Podolsk snipers? Or there is no such a thing like war-time field notched "legit" sniper SVT?

It's almost impossible to verify "originality" of the field made snipers. So far I did not saw any that can be called "legit" with high credibility, except few relic rifles. But let's imagine that such rifles existed and survived in none relic condition. They should had field made notch with non blued metal inside. If rifle was used in field conditions, for sure it should have some rust or pitting there, and field notches had non-standard shape, because of this they were deformed by recoil much worse compared regular notches. So far I saw zero rifles with correct pattern of wear and damage of field notch (again, except few relic rifles)
    There is no much sense to focus at any manufacturer as "Podolsk", "Tula" or "Izhevsk" because random manufacturer can be used.
    I'm strongly against a theory wide use of field made snipers, simply because Soviets do not had spare SVT mounts, all mounts were issued as part of the sniper rifle, and they were adjusted and matched to the specific rifle

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567