Sword Picture Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sword Picture Thread

Can you tell a novice what the Sa means? Thanks

Jerry, Sa (左) is a name of a lineage of smiths. I think it was originally pronounced Sano with that single Kanji 左, but conventionally called Samonji or just Sa by collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1834 View Post
    Since I don't have any Japanese rifles or pistols….I said what the heck…..swords pictures are cool too. The Navy being my favorite.
    As Navy are your fav perhaps you would enjoy seeing this photo.

Regards,
    Stu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3030010 (Large).JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	829725

Another you may like.

Name:	Irie Takako signed Hinomaru no Yosegaki and Tanker Wakizashi.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	829726

Regards,
    Stu

Default Sa attribution

Yes it does, but I buy the blades not the signatures, but the appraiser seal did test as pure gold inlay , the Sa is done in what I think is gold powder laquer. Its a keeper! The vet was a Captain in the Army and on occupation duty in Japan from surrender til the end of 1946 Not too bad yoursef Edokko!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SA9.jpg  

SA8.jpg  

SA3.jpg  

SA2.jpg  

Last edited by Crash; 10-31-2014 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Clarification

Takehito….Thanks for the explanation and its good to learn something new every day. I am jealous Stu, you sure have a few…..Going off the radar for a week…heading south...pass Cuba.

thanks for posting your kinzogan-mei (gold inlay signature). I think these are atttractions to a blade. I have a wakizashi that is made by Yoshimich that has a silver inlay presentation signature for whom its made, and a muramasa katana (probably gimei or latter generation muramasa), that has a gold inlay cutting test. I have a crappy camera but will try to post.

Quote Originally Posted by roadmouse View Post
    What's in it? You know, with Japanese swords, it could be just the koshirae

Found this on youtube. 1080p HD. The great Kiyomaro swords.

Yes, I took some using the macro setting, but blades are always unclear when they are closeups. Its a cheap nikon that I bought, the older one I had took real good close ups but it won't download to my computer anymore. By the way, where is the attachment for the photos? I see it when starting a new thread, but I don't see anything when your doing a reply?

Okha, when you click reply, then click on go advanced and it will lead you to a page where you can do a lot of things. Posting photos are done on the manage attachements button. Can't wait to see your cool stuff !

Quote Originally Posted by Sporter90 View Post
    What's in it? You know, with Japanese swords, it could be just the koshirae
    I don't know! my mamie told me never to draw them out, I could hurt myself she said.
    army is made by kanenori and dated showa 18
    navy is made by ishido teruhide

Attachment 829881

ok thanks Edokko, here are the photos but like I said my camera takes lousy photos of swords. Blades do not come out clear.

Silver inlay, is a tamba no kami yoshimichi, silver presentation to owner is "kiso Takagi", the yoshimichi blades are tempered with bamboo screening pattern. This only has two layers of screening not as desireable as three or four layers. I have anohter yoshimichi thats been at a polisher with more layers of screening and is a higher quality blade, but i like this one due to its silver mei.

Gold inlay is cutting test. Two body cut test sword, date 1659, tester name is Yamano Kaemon nonjo Hisaei". Sword signature is Muramasa, tachi signed, reverse side is inscribed "kagotsu rube" (cut easily). Either this is gimei signature, latter generation Muramasa or a added signature latter. The blade is 29.5" and is hitatsuru temper (full temper).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swords 015.JPG  

opposite.JPG  

tang.JPG  

good photo.JPG  

Okha, man that kinzogan is lovely ! It's done by Yamano Kaemon no Jo Nagahisa and dated Meireki Year 4 (1658) June 25. Very Kewl !

Thanks Edokko it is Nagahisa! I took this translation off the paper back catalogue that it was in. This was sword was on display at Washington State University in the early 80's at "Swords of the Samurai" exhibition. I remember going through the exhibit but actually don't remember this particular sword. However I purchased the catalogue that had all the items on display along with description, and its in this catalogue. Never thought that one day I would own this particular sword.

This thread sure makes me glad I don't specialize in swords but, at the same time, makes me admire those who do.
    Some beautiful pieces of work shown here.
    "Americans, why can't everybody be like us"?

Ernie Pyle, Okinawa April 1 1945

I'm broke and I blame Fred Honeycutt

Default My wakizashi

Here are some pictures of my only wakizashi. Note that the kurikata is broken off of the saya and is attached solely by the sageo. I can't make out any maker marks, but any information about this piece would be very welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 left_assembled_drawn.jpg  

2 right_assembled.jpg  

3 left_disassembled.jpg  

4 right_disassembled.jpg  

5 left_nagako1.jpg  

6 right_nagako2.jpg  

7 right_nagako3.jpg  

8 left_tsuka.jpg  

9 right_tsuka.jpg  

10 group1.jpg  

11 group2.jpg  

12 group3.jpg  

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it."

Elwood P. Dowd

Some more pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 13 group4.jpg  

14 group5.jpg  

15 group6.jpg  

16 kashira1.jpg  

17 fuchi2.jpg  

18 left_saya.jpg  

19 right_saya.jpg  

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I've finally won out over it."

Elwood P. Dowd

Bbrown, can't say much on the blade due to being mumei but it's a shorter hirazukuri (flat side) wakizashi, and from the fresh file marks and sharp peg hole on the tang probably late edo period so maybe mid 1800s or perhaps bit earlier. The accessories have pretty nice artwork with the fuchigane (end piece) showing a Daikokuten and the tsuba (hand guard) probably a motif of a Kappa and signed by a tsuba maker named Masanaga.

Thanks, it was sold to me as being pre-1945 (to the best of the seller's knowledge), so your information is excellent news.

Elwood P. Dowd

pre-1945 covers everything from early koto to showa-to. What's the size of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sporter90 View Post
    pre-1945 covers everything from early koto to showa-to. What's the size of it?
    Blade tip to underside of crossguard is 14.5 inches. Overall length (scabbard tip to end of handle) is 21.5 inches.

Elwood P. Dowd

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	830408Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	830409Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	830412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	300.8 KB 
ID:	830416It is refreshing to see an interest in Japanese swords. If I can upload them, here are a few pictures of my Daisho. The katana is signed Fuyuhiro and is 27 1/2 inches long. Undated but made around 1730. The wakizashi is signed Noshu Kamiarichi Noju Kaneyoshi saku and is dated 1658. It is 18 5/8 inches long.

nak, very pretty daisho you got there. The wak actually reads Tango no Kami Kanemichi, and just from the tang looks like a possible shoshin (authentic signature) to me.

2nd gen Kanemichi BTW.

Thanks for the correction Edokko. That was the first translation that I had, but I thought the last character looked more like Yoshi than michi.

You're quite welcome.

Speaking of Yoshi, just came back from Yoshi's of Oakland to listen to a gig by Hiromi and the Trio Project. That was the most amazing piano that I have ever seen nor heard before.

Bizen Osafune Sword Museum EVA exhibition 1080p HD

Some interesting items. I don't mean the strange looking characters.
    Last edited by Sporter90; 11-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Sporter90…..Thanks for the link. Sure had some nice blades and I didn't know what I was actually looking at but know beauty when I see it…..not the characters…lol.

Name:	savy1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	934947
    Hello,
    There seems to be an array of Japanese sword collectors on here. I have enjoyed your conversations on here so far. I would like to hear your opinions on this and I would be grateful. Please click on the image to make it bigger for better viewing.
    So what do you think? Is it chikei?

I would like to know, too. What is the condition of the blade? Usually the details don't show up, if the blade is in less condition.

Hello Sporter90,

You are correct. A sword in need of polish is difficult to see the activities. This sword needs polish. However, in this case, I could see something was there so I tried something different and by dumb luck, this picture along with a few others shows this type of black strands.
    In the first picture on the left, I wiped off all oil, then held cell phone light above the sword and took the picture. The black line that follows the grain is barely visible in this picture, but does seem to be there.
    To get these pictures with the black curvy line, I rubbed the sword down with more oil than usual.
    When all the light was turned out, I turned on my cell phone light and held the light directly over the blade with the camera pointed straight into the ji area. Because I could see the dark outline of the grain before the oil was added, I know the dark line is not oil.

In the darker picture, in between the hamon and black strand, there are horizontal streaks which is definitely oil from a textured cloth I used to rub the oil on.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	935370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	935371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	935372

Default Miike MITSUYO Imperial Household Sword

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (2).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	935607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (3).jpg 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	935608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (10).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	379.8 KB 
ID:	935609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (22) (1280x857).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	935610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (27).jpg 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	935611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (7).jpg 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	935612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (26).jpg 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	935613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lq4vt0h0ew1qcqpbqo1_500.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	935614https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...qpbqo1_500.gifMiike MITSUYO Imperial Household Sword...rare sword mounts with an exceptional blade...Craptacular images are mine and I they don't show the blade well, but the mounts are pretty nice. Ed

Ed Hicks (910) 425-7000

Quote Originally Posted by swordbuyer View Post

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (2).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	935607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (3).jpg 
Size:	309.2 KB 
ID:	935608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (10).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	379.8 KB 
ID:	935609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (22) (1280x857).jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	935610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (27).jpg 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	935611Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (7).jpg 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	935612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mitsuyo Sword (26).jpg 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	935613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_lq4vt0h0ew1qcqpbqo1_500.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	935614https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l...qpbqo1_500.gifMiike MITSUYO Imperial Household Sword...rare sword mounts with an exceptional blade...Craptacular images are mine and I they don't show the blade well, but the mounts are pretty nice. Ed
    Will you be submitting to shinsa? Do you have a picture of the boshi?

Yeah, I know that this is an old thread but I thought I would share my two.
    I traded the first sword for a 1957 Winchester Model 70 to a friend who had served as a Marine in the Pacific during the War.
    He never told me how he got these and I wasn't going to ask him. He passed away about 20 years ago and his widow gave me the second one in order to keep them together. She has also passed.
    Japanese swords are not my focus but they do coincide with my interest and collecting of Japanese arms and such.
    I'm not looking to sell, just share these and see if what I have is anything special.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1991.jpg  

IMG_1993.jpg  

IMG_1996.jpg  

Second Sword
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2000.jpg  

IMG_2002.jpg  

IMG_2004.jpg  

IMG_2006.jpg  

New additions are always welcome. This thread needs to be kept alive.

The first sword says Hizen Kuni Ju Nagayoshi. The second sword I only read first two and last two words, which are Kanda (神田) ... Masanaga (政永)

Have to agree with Sporter 90 has been an interesting thread with some really nice swords being shown.....Lets keep it going.....

Default Late war sword

A couple of years ago I found the nice Kanemichi made sword that I posted earlier in this tread, and Edokko said that I needed to find a nice Naval sword to go with it. Received a call from a collector here and he had found a sword that he thought I might be interested in. Well it turns out to be a real nice Late-War Emergency Issued one. Has the Navy anchor stamp and follows Jim Dawson's description to a tea. Black canvas instead of black shark king under the silk handle tape, gold paint in place of gold plating and mix of Army and Navy parts. You can see in the photos all the numbered parts do match as well. Enjoy the photos, but I believe this one is a keeper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC07960a.JPG  

DSC07963a.JPG  

DSC07923a.JPG  

DSC07922a.JPG  

DSC07964a.JPG  

DSC07920a.JPG  

DSC07939a.JPG  

DSC07946a.JPG  

DSC07948a.JPG  

DSC07942a.JPG  

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Type-14.....yep a keeper for sure unless you ever want to sell it to someone in Tampa - LOL - Thanks for sharing looks really nice.....Jerry

I've been looking a long time for an early navy. This example has an old two hole unsigned blade that's in need of polish. Has family mon & scarce navy knot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Don't know if I posted this one - type 98 that must have belonged to a desk jockey - its a minty semi-machine forged Seki sword with a pig skin cover and signed by Okada Kanesada.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1080.jpg  

Good swords have been very tough to get a hold of in my neck of the woods but here are my two swords, each with their own unique story. My first was the Type 95 that was given to me by a coworker of my mom's at the VA. His father, a marine who served on Tarawa, had sent the sword home during the war. He was afraid if he tried to repatriate the sword it would just be thrown into the harbor since it wasn't a "national treasure". He didn't want to sell it either since he thought it would be ill to profit off of his father's service so when I saw him last he pulled the sword out of the closet and gave it to me with the promise never to sell it, which I obliged. My second is a Type 3 shin gunto that I purchased last Christmas time at a gun show as a walk in. The vet I bought it from was so happy I made him a "fair" offer of $500 (me guessing at the value at the time) that he showed me his arisaka he brought home as well. I forgot to ask him then which island he was on when he picked this sword up but with a manufacture date of January 1945 the options were limited. I got my answer just recently as I ran into him again at another show buying some ammo for his arisaka. I introduced myself as the one who bought his sword last year and he was happy it was being taken care of. I asked him about the sword and he told me that he had picked it up on Okinawa. He thought I did ask him about that last time but I said I was so excited to have bought the sword and look at his arisaka that I forgot to ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0817.JPG  

DSCN0801.JPG  

DSCN0893.JPG  

DSCN0894.JPG  

Nice thanks for sharing - can't find much down here either - very little in the sword dept. Your type 3 is it a double button release?

Jerry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast