m38 stock with two half liners in sling holes

Thread: m38 stock with two half liners in sling holes

Default m38 stock with two half liners in sling holes

Yesterday I put an m38 on layaway that has an interesting stock. It is an actual m38 stock, with a visible Izhevsk cartouche. Both sling slots have a sheet metal half liner, I had only seen that on some ex-sniper rifle stocks before. Has anyone else seen this on a carbine stock? Maybe I was not paying enough attention and just didn't notice any before.

Wartime dated m38? If so I think ive seen them.

Going through historical pictures, wartime M91/30's and M38's seems to have a mixture of sling slot escutcheons/liners. Ususally they will have the screwed in escutcheons for both or the liner in the front only, but for sometimes they will have some other combination. I suspect that the mixed sling slot variations are more from wartime production in 1941 - 1942, but is is only speculation since we don't have many surviving original rifles.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Typical on war production stocks, the rear has no liner as the wood is sufficiently thick in the area of the butt stock that it won't break. The leather dog collar should break before the stock. But even if it did, it would take a lot of force to break a leather dog collar while it's still connected to the stock. As for the front, the sheet metal liner was used to reinforce the area because of the lack of wood due to the inherent design of the stock. So it would seem unnecessary to have one at the rear. Pics?
    Mosin Prime!

Here's a few photos from the shop.

It's the first time I've seen the half-liner on both front and rear on an M38. But I have to agree with the above assessments as being a war-time feature.

Looks like a nice M38!

As for the sling slot question, the great majority of half liner front/rear I've seen have been on '43 Izhevsk PU sniper stocks. You will, however, very uncommonly run into a non-sniper 91/30 stock (and I believe I've seen a couple of M44 stocks too) in this configuration.

Saw this unsanded '43 stock (which is not a former sniper stock) on an otherwise ordinary refurb crate Mosin a few months ago:

My 1943 Izhevsk M38 has the half liners in both slots. The stock is also Izhevsk, the original cartouches are present but very light as the stock was sanded in refurb. The stock is in M44 form. although the bayonet groove doesn't appear machine cut. This is one of the Molot M38's that Classic was selling a couple years ago. It also has the /1\ mark, which seemed to be common in that batch.

The rear liners are not common at all. Of all the M38s that I have owned, I may have had one.

I had suspected that this was done for a short time in 1944, but Ol' Relic's post makes it apparent that they appeared earlier, at least on 91/30 Snipers.

Either way, great find and I would love to see more pics of that carbine.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

Unusual but not unheard of. I have a '43 in an M38 stock with a rear liner.

I've had 5-6 91/30's over the years with them, most without any repairs in the scope mount area, so not ex-sniper stocks. What I find interesting is that no 2 of them seem to be alike. The tabs could be rounded, square, angled... Some appear hand cut.

I think that the likeliest explanation is simply that at some point, somebody thought it was a good idea. Later, somebody else thought it wasn't, and they were dropped. Even a couple month's production means many thousands of stocks.

My 1944 PU sniper also has both front and rear half liners. Since my 1943 M38 with that feature is in a M44 stock, seems the late war premise makes sense. I remember being surprised when I received the M38 as I had never seen the half liners in both slots before.

This particular carbine is a '44 dated example, but that may not mean much because as a refurb the stock could easily be a replacement. I'll post more photos when it's in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by racerguy00 View Post
    This particular carbine is a '44 dated example, but that may not mean much because as a refurb the stock could easily be a replacement. I'll post more photos when it's in hand.
    Were the letters in the stock's acceptance stamp legible?

I was able to pick up the carbine last weekend. The stock is covered in flakey shellac and there is lots of the quickie refurb black paint. Bore isn't counterbored and the rifling looks great. The inspector stamp is identical to a '43 PU sniper's that I was able to compare it with. It's got character, I like it.

Yep, looks to be a '44 produced stock. Love it-wish I could find an M38 as good as that one.