Gunboards Forums banner

Stevens 425 high power rifles

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Estaban 
#1 ·
Just making sure that everyone knows that we are still collecting the serial numbers (with calibers) of all known Stevens 425 High Power lever action rifles - including all variations.

We still believe that Brophy, in his excellent Marlin book, was correct when he wrote that only about 1000 Stevens High Power rifles were ever manufactured. In the eight years since I started to collect serial number & caliber information, we've only found about 200 guns, all with 4-digit serial numbers and very few consecutive serial numbers.

If you have a Stevens High Power Rifle or one of its variations, please post its serial number and caliber here, or email me at vintageautomobilia@thegrid.net

Thanks!

Peter Zobian
NRA Life Member

#11 ·
I just traded for a Stevens 425 in 30-30 Remington. Serial number is 5311.

I got it to go with my great grand-father's Standard Arms pump also in 30 Remington.

~30 years ago my step dad picked up a case of 30 Rem in white boxes. Research shows the FBI requested a 30 Rem load.
It came in white boxes and was used by Law Enforcement. The case of ammo was sold as surplus from the Montana State penitentiary.
Sorry not for sale or trade.

#12 ·
Welcome Sir! And congrats in joining the exclusive 'Club 425', where you now have a reserved seat! :) Shot it yet? If not, does it appear functional?
The .30 Remington ammo sounds interesting. Any date information? The earliest Bureau ammo apparently from late nineteen thirties. Allegedly special reduced power load in that era. For some obtuse reason, to match their prior .351 Winchester round performance. Perhaps matched for training/field performance continuity??? I'd not be shooting any of that white box stuff. Others here may have a better handle. Misfires/hangfires/cycling/corrosion issues. Perhaps even 'collector stuff'! For me, firing it too 'iffy'!
Thanks for the Post & photos welcome if convenient!
My take

#13 ·
Previous owner said he shot it. He threw in 75 cases and reloading dies. I am south for the winter with most of my guns, etc. still up north (north Idaho).

Somewhere in its history the barrel was cut back 3" and a new front sight installed. Barrel was then re-blued. Workmanship is top notch. Wood has been re-oiled, too. Receiver is untouched.

The white box is too valuable to shoot. The dies and cases will allow me to reload for it when I get back north.

GREG

View attachment 2789738 View attachment 2789746 View attachment 2789754 View attachment 2789762 View attachment 2789770 View attachment 2789778 View attachment 2789786

#14 · (Edited)
Looks like it's been over a year since last post. Here's an additional gun that I have; Stevens High Power 425 with nickel steel in CAL 30-30 Remington (Actually CAL 30 Remington.) Believe it's a 1917 model, serial number is 1977. When I purchased it in 2009, I tried every type of 30-30 cartridge but none would chamber. Talked to a friend in Barstow, CA and he said that the rifle was probably chambered for 30 Remington, not 30-30. Have found two boxes of cartridges (ammo was discontinued some 30 years ago) but have not fired it. Have cleaned, oiled and it has the smoothest action of any lever action gun I've owned. Really nice gun.

#15 ·
Both a question of firing vintage ammo as well as rifle firing condition. Perhaps to have the gun itself checked out by a gunsmith. That or at least, the first few rounds 'other than' with precious body parts proximate. I've owned one of these, in 35 Remington, for perhaps 40 years. Over those years, exclusively 'safe queen'. Appearing quite decent, but would not wish to fire it without thorough inspection. Even then, with parts virtually unavailable, wouldn't personally want to stress the old gal!
Congrats on a handsome, unique and uncommon lever rifle!
Just my take
Joh

#17 ·
After I purchased, I took it to a local gun shop since I could not chamber a round, thinking something might be wrong. They were not aware of the 30-30 Remington vs 30 Remington issue, but did ask why I wanted to shoot the gun, since it was vintage and in very good shape (other then needing a cleaning.) I have no intention of firing the gun, just personally desire to have ammunition for any firearm I own. Since resolving the ammunition issue, have kept a look-out for 30 Remington (no reloads) and bought a couple of boxes when I came across them.
Thank you,
DLS

#16 ·
Has anyone slugged the bore on one of these? I did a quick check and a pretty tight bore. Probably just operator error but it makes me curious. I got a groove diameter of .302, didn't check the number of grooves. Maybe 5 groove which would have screwed up my measuring. Something to revisit.

#18 ·
By the tag ,sounds like the OP also collects Stevens cars.Someone once commented that although Stevens spent millions in the 1910s ,the guns never seemed to improve.....of course we know the reason why is the money was spent on a new car factory.....And if you read the Stevens car ads ,they are always claiming this or that major component has been completely redesigned from the previous years model....not exactly a confidence builder for the new car buyer.

#19 · (Edited)
By the tag ,sounds like the OP also collects Stevens cars.Someone once commented that although Stevens spent millions in the 1910s ,the guns never seemed to improve.....of course we know the reason why is the money was spent on a new car factory.....And if you read the Stevens car ads ,they are always claiming this or that major component has been completely redesigned from the previous years model....not exactly a confidence builder for the new car buyer.
Stevens was purchased by Savage Arms on 1 April 1920. The Savage Model 1920 was a great, innovative bit economy oriented high power bolt rifle. Today, not often seen, yet a great rifle for its era. Somewhere between 'short' & 'intermediate' action and stamped bottom metal/blind magazine. Slim, trim, lightweight and well tuned for the 250/3000 and bit later 300 Savage. Notably it predated both the Remington entre to civilian high powered bolt rifle by about a year and Winchester equivalent genre by half decade. It received good reviews in those days and retrospectively, today! The lack of such as 30-06 chambering, coming back to haunt and by latter Twenties, the Model 20, had morphed into the Models 40 and "deluxe" model 45, interesting rear locking actions, but other than successful 'econo' rifles, never really challenging other firm models despite the 30-30 and 30-06 chamberings. Well, moving a bit beyond point. But your premise IF post 1920, incorrect re innovation and product value!

Moving right along...Somehow, missed those Stevens car ads! Damn! Actually... never even heard of Stevens automobiles! But the principle, essentially 'new & improved'; historic/hysteric old vehicle sales story!

Nowadays, most often, for instance, a notable permutation... Let's hypothesize you're in the market and dealer foreplay intense! Subtle 'wet rag potential'. Perhaps extra 'Grand' actual retail cost for much desired "accessory". Yet, of course, "bundled"! Available only with a bunch of stuff about totally superfluous to your needs or desires. "Such a deal"... pushing the packaged price up couple of Grand,a plus! To get the single worthy item desired, unless you're a fleet buyer with leverage, retail purchasers suffering 'take it or leave it' package approach.
My "consumer" approach... demonstrably 'voting with my feet'!
Just my small 'aside'! :)
Best!
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.