M=1 Carbine Sling, what do we have here?

Thread: M=1 Carbine Sling, what do we have here?

Default M=1 Carbine Sling, what do we have here?

Guys,

What do we have here?

War Baby say the following on page 1099; Sling type B variation with the snap marked on top "Klikit (star)/Pull, bottom marked UNITED CARR/BOSTON MASS. The solid metal tips are deeply stamped MRT 9-62. Their is no other explanation with this statement other than referring back to War Baby page 296/297. This refers to the type B sling in thick web in olive green.

Is the 9-62 a production date? Or is this a NOS sling?

Any advise would be helpful,

Thanks,

Jack

"MRT" stands for "Mildew Resistant Treatment" applied on 9-1962.
    This is almost always stamped in ink on canvas goods and stamped into the leather of leather goods like holsters.
    It's a chemical treatment that helps prevent canvas and leather from mildewing during storage.

I've never seen it stamped into metal like that.

I've heard of the MRT before, but it's normally stamped on the web. There is nothing stamped on the web at all. I've never seen this either, what do you think the 9-62 means? Was this when it was made or treated? I won't even guess..........

Jack

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

It more likely was made in 1962 as it is not WW2 or Korean war vintage.

Yep, I was thinking Vietnam at the best.

Post Korean war issue sling. Later they went to nylon with same hardware on them.

Carbine collectors are all narrow focused on WWII but the carbine saw extensive US service in Korea and Viet Nam wars. Thus, that sling you have would be ideal on a carbine for VN era war example.

Garand collectors value all periods of M1 Rifle use and accessories used. Not so with Carbine collectors, they dismiss anything not used in WWII as irrelevant.

Strange breed those carbine collectors.

We are strange aren't we..........It is a nice example of the Vietnam carbine era. I'll hold on to it as such. If you guys (I know we're strange) know of anyone looking for a Nam era sling for their carbine PM me or post and let me know. I'll let it go for what I have in it, or less. Yep we are strange....

Ok, this may be a strange question, but why would War Baby quote the exact markings on this sling and they reference it back to a WWII sling on pages 296/297? I'm probably over thinking but this seems strange to me.

Is it a WWII issue held over to the Nam era and MRT'ed?

Anyone's thoughts.......

Jack,

Not to stir up fog but WWII dated slings did not have that hard ware on them. WWII dated slings existed in the military inventory right up through VN war. The slings with hard ware such as yours with web (and later nylon) material existed in the military inventory post Korean War and through VN War as well.

The sling in this thread is not a WWII sling. It is a great sling and correct for Post Korean War through Viet Nam War period.

Fact is, slings being expendables and used , they did not survive in numbers and any found are worth collecting.

Side note: I have never seen a MRT marking stamped into the metal so that is a new one on me. Its usually ink printed on the sling webbing. Is MRT in this instance a maker marking or just a MRT marking that was done and not a common way to do it ?

Since carbine collectors don't want history beyond WWII, none of this is relevant, its distracting and plague be upon us for discussing it.

No plague, just part of the fun of collecting trying to figure out what happened 70 plus years ago. I learn something new every day and that's not ever going to end. I also change my mind all the time based on new information. Plague, no just a mild affliction........