Over $5,000 for a Mosin Nagant?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over $5,000 for a Mosin Nagant?

Default Over $5,000 for a Mosin Nagant?

Someone wanted this one pretty bad. Love the cartouches! A buddy of mine has one with no serial number.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=481412649

I've never heard of a US marked NEW. I don't like the double struck flaming bombs on this one though.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=487044459

Another interesting Mosin, M38 finn marked.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=480722138

Another expensive M38. This guy must have a lot of nice stuff. The seller's name looks familiar so I'm sure he's on here somewhere.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=488077183

Polish M44 for over $800... What?? I remember when these things were $40 back in 2000-2002.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=475536484
    "If it ain't something, then it's something else," Robert Sherrill

These days the sky's the limit. 1917 remington new unissued .stateside US rifle .flaming bomb cartouche is correct on US military use m91s.im not at all sure on the stamp but stock is 100% right.a collector had to have it.ir may go into a museum on this buy.NRA would be a rightful place for this caliber of quality M91 Remington. Sapishka

Both M38's have early stocks. Highly desirable.

Coup
    Pray for the USA. Pray for President Trump.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sapishka View Post
    These days the sky's the limit. 1917 remington new unissued .stateside US rifle .flaming bomb cartouche is correct on US military use m91s.im not at all sure on the stamp but stock is 100% right.a collector had to have it.ir may go into a museum on this buy.NRA would be a rightful place for this caliber of quality M91 Remington. Sapishka
    You really believe that the rifle in question is so special, such a unique or pristine example, that it merits encapsulation in a museum showcase?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

Many
    of the surviving Remington Mosins are in far, far nicer condition than this mediocre example.

The $5000 paid is less a reflection of the magnificence of the rifle itself and more the mindless, cult-like adoration of the ethically questionable messiah who sold it. The lucky buyer paid about five times more than this rifle is reasonably worth.

And I'll bet the seller didn't even include a genuine autographed gray blanket so the buyer could continue to bask in its radiant glow.

That's my opinion and I am proud to have the moral clarity to call it like I see it no matter how much it annoys the gray man's Gun Board's cheering section.
    Last edited by Richard in NY*; 07-05-2015 at 03:21 AM.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Give it a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Give it a rest.
    John:

Are you acting as a moderator when you make this command?

Or are you simply expressing your personal opinion about the value of my post, which by the way I find perfectly acceptable? Not correct, not reasoned, but acceptable in the course of discussion nonetheless.

I said nothing unreasonable and nothing that I cannot justify with screenshots and PDFs of dozens of highly questionable auctions by the gentleman in question.

Is on topic opinion no longer allowed?

This is a sincere question.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    The $5000 paid is less a reflection of the magnificence of the rifle itself and more the mindless, cult-like adoration of the ethically questionable messiah who sold it. The lucky buyer paid about five times more than this rifle is reasonably worth.
    For once, I have to agree with you. THERE IS a sucker born every minute.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BCR#1 View Post
    For once, I have to agree with you. THERE IS a sucker born every minute.

Bill
    Only once?

Wish it was more, but I'll take what I can get.

Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Coup de tat View Post
    Both M38's have early stocks. Highly desirable.

Coup
    Can you explain so I'll know what to look for

Bill

Only the first M38 has the short shoulder and handguard (distance between the rear sight and rear barrel band). And given that it is also a first year carbine, I'm very surprised it only went for $1,240. These don't show up very often at all.

For expanded info on the M38 stock topic, visit the following link.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Pattern-Stock
    Last edited by martin08; 07-05-2015 at 09:28 AM.

One thing can be said for sure after browsing his auctions over the last couple years. He does sell a lot of unique Mosin's that don't hit the market very often. I've got no qualms over the three or four times I've done business with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusthomps View Post
    One thing can be said for sure after browsing his auctions over the last couple years. He does sell a lot of unique Mosin's that don't hit the market very often. I've got no qualms over the three or four times I've done business with him.
    But most of the stuff he sells isn't that unique or special. The only thing truly unique about his auctions usually is the price people pay.

[QUOTE=Richard in NY*;3386536]You really believe that the rifle in question is so special, such a unique or pristine example, that it merits encapsulation in a museum showcase?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.Five times more than this rifle is reasonably worth. Love it.
    Last edited by mike 76; 10-07-2018 at 11:38 AM.

For that kind of money, you just may see two/three of my rifles posted on GB for sale.....I could use a new car...mine are old...run good...but old... Besides I take better pictures...

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
    Only the first M38 has the short shoulder and handguard (distance between the rear sight and rear barrel band). And given that it is also a first year carbine, I'm very surprised it only went for $1,240. These don't show up very often at all.

For expanded info on the M38 stock topic, visit the following link.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Pattern-Stock
    As Martin says - the 1939 went for a very good price, actually - they are very very rare.

And the flaming bomb NEW is also correct.

Hmm... I may have to invest in a grey blanket. I have an unfired NEW MN-91 that looks like it just came off the line. Never thought I'd sell it when I thought it was "only" worth a grand or two, but FIVE GRAND? That would pay for all the materials for the garage roof I'm doing! I hope my old-timer's kicks in and I forget this train of thought before I get home!
    "What are you looking for???" "Old, military, unusual, weird.... What'dya got?"

I follow some of his auctions and it usually seems something is off/out of place. Mismatched patina on parts, overuse of white crayon on markings like hes trying to hide something,etc, etc. Check out the bolt renumbering on the SA M38, the font looks weird and different than any ive ever seen on a Finn rifle. Besides that it looks good to me but theres always something off about his stuff. I would never buy anything from the gray blanket man.

I've bought a couple of rifles from him and got them below market value. Seems like some of what he sells creates a feeding frenzy that just drives up the prices, nobody to blame then but the bidders.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

I have had one dealing with him. It was my SCW dragoon, https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...agoon-new-pics

I think I got it for around $450 or so. I think it is a good piece and I got a fair price. I don't usually participate in these "grey blanket" threads, I have seen things go undisclosed and some obviously humped rifles being sold but in the end you shouldn't pay top dollar unless you know what you are getting. ultimately he puts a sufficient number of pictures up for someone to make a good decision on what they are buying. If they pay "too much" for something that isn't any of my business.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyOgre View Post
    Hmm... I may have to invest in a grey blanket. I have an unfired NEW MN-91 that looks like it just came off the line. Never thought I'd sell it when I thought it was "only" worth a grand or two, but FIVE GRAND? That would pay for all the materials for the garage roof I'm doing! I hope my old-timer's kicks in and I forget this train of thought before I get home!
    In the 70s & 80s $200.00 was tops for a mint Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    For that kind of money, you just may see two/three of my rifles posted on GB for sale.....I could use a new car...mine are old...run good...but old... Besides I take better pictures...

Pahtu.
    The only problem with that is you wont get 5k for yours,only he does.The only think I can think of is that he might have a export license and sell out of the country?It might be that some of these new Russian millionaires/billionaires are paying 3 times what something is worth because they cant get it from anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by mike 76 View Post
    The only problem with that is you wont get 5k for yours,only he does.The only think I can think of is that he might have a export license and sell out of the country?It might be that some of these new Russian millionaires/billionaires are paying 3 times what something is worth because they cant get it from anyone else?
    Perhaps so, I will hold on to them for a while longer....

Pahtu.

This one auction was an anomaly in the short term; but someone wanted it and was willing to pay that price. The buyer knew what he was getting into with this NEW M91, and with 20 bids there were a few interested buyers which helps to support the price - one stayed in the auction until $3,000! The trend is slowly upward, but overall up. I feel we can expect prices to continue upwards in the long-term if interest in the Mosin Nagant remains strong. Sure higher prices will make it more expensive for collectors to "fill holes" in their collections, but this isn't a bad trend (we're all gonna die eventually and our heirs may -gasp!- sell our collections). With proof that prices go up, I've never had to sneak a new acquisition past my wife into the house!

The fact that prices where cheaper in the past should not surprise anyone who has been watching prices longer than a week.

Quote Originally Posted by amx4080 View Post
    This one auction was an anomaly in the short term; but someone wanted it and was willing to pay that price. The buyer knew what he was getting into with this NEW M91, and with 20 bids there were a few interested buyers which helps to support the price - one stayed in the auction until $3,000! The trend is slowly upward, but overall up. I feel we can expect prices to continue upwards in the long-term if interest in the Mosin Nagant remains strong. Sure higher prices will make it more expensive for collectors to "fill holes" in their collections, but this isn't a bad trend (we're all gonna die eventually and our heirs may -gasp!- sell our collections). With proof that prices go up, I've never had to sneak a new acquisition past my wife into the house!

The fact that prices where cheaper in the past should not surprise anyone who has been watching prices longer than a week.
    I feel the opposite is going to happen. I feel that the bubble will pop soon enough. There are so few people that will pay inflated prices. The higher the prices go the fewer buyers there will be.

I have both a surcharged Remington and a NEW, both all matching and in pristine condition with mirror bores. I am tempted to sell both, but the odds of me being able to replace them later are slim to zero.

Hell, I think I'm just going to shoot the crap out of them. Enjoy them while I still can, then sell to finance that new Alfa Romeo LOL!

Cheers, Coup
    Pray for the USA. Pray for President Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanDallas View Post
    In the 70s & 80s $200.00 was tops for a mint Remington.
    We have it good, in the 70's a good '56 Porsche Speedster went for about $1000, now they are $200k-$300k, even the replica Speeders are $25k now, when demand far exceeds supply, anything will go up in price, and there are huge numbers of old cranks "out there" with very deep pockets,

Never won any of the sellers auctions, always got outbid, so can't comment first-hand, but he has over 17,000 positive feedbacks and only 18 negatives,

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    As Martin says - the 1939 went for a very good price, actually - they are very very rare.

And the flaming bomb NEW is also correct.
    Really? Were these used in Siberia like the Remingtons? Or did US troops in Russia use either or, or even Russian models? This is the first US marked NEW I've seen. I just wasn't sure about the double struck markings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey83835 View Post
    We have it good, in the 70's a good '56 Porsche Speedster went for about $1000, now they are $200k-$300k, even the replica Speeders are $25k now, when demand far exceeds supply, anything will go up in price, and there are huge numbers of old cranks "out there" with very deep pockets,
    +1

I often lament the disdain held by the masses for guns and gun collectors. We are a truly hated minority in many, and sadly soon to be most, parts of this nation.

The only upside I have ever been able to rationalize is that hoity toity deep pockets would never dream of dirtying themselves by owning or associating with guns so even the rarest of the rare firearms, especially the military guns that are the focus of interest here, rarely see mid five figure sale prices, let alone six figure and higher numbers.

With the exception of the Class III market which is solely the result of tyrannical governmental control, almost every* gun ever mentioned on Gun Boards could be purchased for less than $25k, with the vast, vast majority trading for well under $10k.

In the grand scheme of things, this is chump change compared to the sale prices of other, more fashionable and politically correct collectibles.

*Needless to say, some guns are so rare, and their present owners so content, that they are essentially unavailable, not for sale, and have no sale price. I am ignoring these market anomalies when I make the above generalizations.

Samuel Adams

Why are the Polish M44s going for such crazy prices? This isn't the first time I've seen one get this high.

wtf .. izhevsk trigger guard / magazine assembly on that polish m44.. some one needs to look before hitting the bid button.. ouch.

Never won any of the sellers auctions, always got outbid, so can't comment first-hand, but he has over 17,000 positive feedbacks and only 18 negatives,
    In my opinion the glowing feedback is less a reflection of this particular seller's moral certitude and more proof, as if any were needed, that there are tremendous numbers of people with more money than sense, education, and good taste.

Samuel Adams

There was a MUCH nicer- truly unissued looking- Rem not too many months ago that sold, as I recall, for about two grand after not having sold for $1500 the first time listed.
    We discussed it here. THAT rifle, was worth every penny. This one isn't even close to the condition of that one.

As I've stated before- let's forget the "flowery" descriptions from this seller where everything is "scarce"- it's the buyers' responsibility to do due diligence. And from the lousy quality of the photos he provides on ALL his auctions, I can't believe he gets the prices he does.

For top-dollar on a deserving piece, one would expect at least a couple of dozen, high-definition pics covering every inch of the rifle. Instead, all you get a these grainy images that you can't clearly discern.

In fairness, he does have a three-day return/inspection policy (exact terms of which, who knows...?). And, I'm pretty darn sure I've seen some of his "sold" rifles back up for sale.

In any case, it is simply human nature to not want to second-guess a high-end purchase where we may have let "auction fever" get the better of us. I suspect, more than one buyer has looked closely at his purchase once received, and realized he paid far more than it is "worth", but in any case got the firearm he wanted. It just may be a long, long time before it can be sold for a profit...

I'd say you cant blame the seller on this one... the starting bid was $399 with no reserve, I doubt he even thought it would sell for five grand. I see it all the time with the ebay crowd. Same item with a buy it now for $400 wont sell, when the item that started at $99 will get bid up to well over what it's worth. That's what makes the auction environment so exciting! Fault goes to the dumb bidders on this buy. Lets hope its just a fluke.

It does make me feel better about my own spending though

We had so many here there was no market for the Remington m 91, Westinghose forget it. It was in the 90's before they raising in prices around here.
    When the Westinghouse went high I could not believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by treemaniac View Post
    I'd say you cant blame the seller on this one... the starting bid was $399 with no reserve, I doubt he even thought it would sell for five grand. I see it all the time with the ebay crowd. Same item with a buy it now for $400 wont sell, when the item that started at $99 will get bid up to well over what it's worth. That's what makes the auction environment so exciting! Fault goes to the dumb bidders on this buy. Lets hope its just a fluke.
    Exactly!
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by BARQS19 View Post
    Really? Were these used in Siberia like the Remingtons? Or did US troops in Russia use either or, or even Russian models? This is the first US marked NEW I've seen. I just wasn't sure about the double struck markings on it.

U.S. troops serving in Siberia were armed with M1903 Springfields and did not use any M1891 Three-Line Rifles at all. The troops serving in Northern Russia used M1891s, but not Remington manufactured rifles according to all of the evidence I've ever seen.

Russia is a very large country and several thousand miles separate Vladivostok from Archangel.

Warmest regards,

JPS

.................that there are tremendous numbers of people with more money than sense, education, and good taste.
    +1

This is pocket change to a whole lot of people, some of whom collect rifles.

....elaborate money laundering operation??

Doesn't matter if some on this thread go on about what's this m91 worthy of or not.
    Who cares one bit ...opinion and everyone has his own .fact I'd it's gauged by NRA standards .that's the real measurement of a quality arm .museum quality or rare. The condition looks to be NRA excellent and it'd very nice .I'm not seeing the guys pics yet of his superior m91 on this thread so far
    ...let's see it I say. I'd have also noted this forum users are guys who want the 125.00 and 250.00 guns .not willing to spend 1000.00 for the mint gun .well welcome to today gentlemen the 125.00 mosins are becoming history. Collectors even here have forced up the price by demand .simple economics.everyone wants ANY rare mosin and buy g up like no tomorrow. This whole idea it ain't worth this 5000.00 and mines better .yeah? Bring it on here and let's see what you have .These now have exceeded rational thought. Well that's life . Sapishka

Quote Originally Posted by NavyOgre View Post
    Navy Ogre... I'd love to see some pics of your NEW. I have one in similar condition. I've heard many times that other near mint NEWs (97% and up) exist, but I've yet to actually see one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    ISO ----- 91rv, 24rv, SA or SkY marked Beretta M34 or M35, Finn marked Cz 24. Ka3 marked Mosins $$$$, an early Mosin dragoon stock with handguard, 28/30 CG unit marked 106207, Gulkevich bayonet, St. Petersburg Cavalry carbines, M27, m27 bayo, true Cossack shashkas/kindjals, slider for an early flat rear Mosin sight leaf. Slider for a St. Petersburg Cavalry carbine, Model 1907 mosins, m27rv, Cossack blood or tears, the ark of the covenant and one unicorn horn.

Quote Originally Posted by sapishka View Post
    Doesn't matter if some on this thread go on about what's this m91 worthy of or not.
    Who cares one bit ...opinion and everyone has his own .fact I'd it's gauged by NRA standards .that's the real measurement of a quality arm .museum quality or rare. The condition looks to be NRA excellent and it'd very nice .I'm not seeing the guys pics yet of his superior m91 on this thread so far
    ...let's see it I say
    . I'd have also noted this forum users are guys who want the 125.00 and 250.00 guns .not willing to spend 1000.00 for the mint gun .well welcome to today gentlemen the 125.00 mosins are becoming history. Collectors even here have forced up the price by demand .simple economics.everyone wants ANY rare mosin and buy g up like no tomorrow. This whole idea it ain't worth this 5000.00 and mines better .yeah? Bring it on here and let's see what you have .These now have exceeded rational thought. Well that's life . Sapishka
    I'm too tired to dig them out but you can rest assured I can successfully rise to your challenge. Four or five times over.

Trust me.

I never exaggerate or tell lies.

Trust me.

Samuel Adams

I'm too tired to dig them out but you can rest assured I can successfully rise to your challenge. Four or five times over.

Trust me.

I never exaggerate or tell lies.

Trust me.
    C'mon Richard!!!! I'm dying to see one! I'll show you mine again!!!

ISO ----- 91rv, 24rv, SA or SkY marked Beretta M34 or M35, Finn marked Cz 24. Ka3 marked Mosins $$$$, an early Mosin dragoon stock with handguard, 28/30 CG unit marked 106207, Gulkevich bayonet, St. Petersburg Cavalry carbines, M27, m27 bayo, true Cossack shashkas/kindjals, slider for an early flat rear Mosin sight leaf. Slider for a St. Petersburg Cavalry carbine, Model 1907 mosins, m27rv, Cossack blood or tears, the ark of the covenant and one unicorn horn.

. Sneak peek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast