swedish mauser for hunting?

Thread: swedish mauser for hunting?

Default swedish mauser for hunting?

I have gotten explosive hits on game using the 6.5x55 in military rifles...had to throw a lot of deer meat away..even though hits were behind the front shouder...I thought maybe it was my bullets...hornadays 140 soft point ...then I bought a book called handloading for hunters and in that book it says other hunters have had the same problem...the fast military twist causing increased outward centifical force on the bullet...therefore rapid disintegration...blowup....I shot several deer and got tired of ruining so much meat....anyone else out there had this same thing happen?....maybe my load was too hot and ullet going too fast...don't know..i should buy a crony some day...food for thought

I do not belive the "centrifugal force" thing. Bullet construction/impact velocity must be the cause. Get a "bonded" bullet, a Nosler partition, or go to a 160gr bullet moving slower.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

buy some 140gr Lapua Naturalis bullets or loaded ammo and you will have a very accurate bullet with nearly 100% weight retention (even if you hit a bone).

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Friend of mine who was a Preacher had a 1936 8x57mm Mauser 98 sporter hunting rifle. ( non-military )

Was doing the same thing to deer meat with 150 gr softpoints. Rounds were virtually "exploding".

Moving to heavier 170 gr handloads solved the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with the Hornady spire points is that they separate and fly apart at the upper end of their velocities. They are designed to expand at 1,500 or higher, so backing off on the loads can really help. It also makes for a great youth load.

Good advise on the Lapua, bonded, and partition bullets if you need a spritzer. I've had excellent results with the Hornady 160 gr RN (same with the 175 gr in 7mm, and the 220 gr in .308) at about 2500 fps. Very old-school, but extremely effective inside 200 yards. All of these choices should give you complete penetration. I like an exit wound if you have to blood-trail one, which is pretty common east of the Mississippi. I also stick to Norma or Lapua brass. The case heads on the Remchester stuff is under sized.

Sierra Gamekings 142gn at 2500 fps worked well.
    Tens

thanks to all whom responded...I may just try the sierras first although I will write down the other bullets as ones to try......I have about 100 empty ppu 6.5 cases....you know the Serbia stuff....I suppose those cases would be alright....I know sierra makes a tough little .243 bullet that weighs only 85 grains..a hollow point boattail that is very effective on deer....2500 feet per second sounds good....use possibly heavier slower moving bullets...makes sense...

I had the same thing happen with a Sierra gameking. So I switch to the Nosler partitions and they do much better.

Noslers......period, been killing big Muleys, with them since 1984.

kenny W.

Hope I am not stretching the topic here. Has any one had any field experience using the Lapua 155 grain soft points on game?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
    Hope I am not stretching the topic here. Has any one had any field experience using the Lapua 155 grain soft points on game?
    I use the 160gr SP Hornady bullets for our large Whitetails. Works very well with little meat damage. Lapua should be very much the same.
    I stalk the Sheepdawg and Fson. Hey, someone needs to!

140 Partitions at moderate speed give deep penetration and little meat damage. And they're made in Oregon! I shoot a lot of Nosler bullets.

140 grain Remington core lock bullets loaded hot have held together for me & deer hunting!

Norma heavy hitter back into the day? Weight I forgot. 159 maybe!
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Norma heavy hitter back into the day? Weight I forgot. 159 maybe!
    156 gr RN. I've got a bunch of it!
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

Yes that stuff is accurate and a deer killer.
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

160 gr Hornady round nose and Reloader 22 kills deer where they stand Ive killed them close and out to 100 yards. with a 1901 CG.