SR 4759 for reduced jacketed rifle loads

Thread: SR 4759 for reduced jacketed rifle loads

Default SR 4759 for reduced jacketed rifle loads

Just bought 8lbs of IMR SR 4759 for $85.00. Reason one, good deal, two, best group I have ever shot with a mil surp was with this powder.

Years ago with a scoop and Lee hammer reloading tool I managed to get multiple 75 yard groups with rounds touching or nearly touching in a No 1 Mk 3. Over time I upgraded my equipment, scales, presses, dies, powder dispenser etc. finally used up the powder and never bought any more of that type. Didn't work in the dispenser.

So now I have 8 pounds of it and can't locate much data. Anybody using this with 7.62x54r, .303, 7.7x58, or the like with say 150gr jacketed bullets? How about 7.35 Carcano?

If I could locate my data from my success with the .303 I would share but I have since lost it. Any help would be great, you use it for a similar load in .308 Win, I will take that too.

Thanks,
    Crjunkie

Both 4227 and 5744 are very close to SR4759 in burning rate. You can use their charge weights to give you a rough place to start if you are careful and comfortable with doing that.
    Most Speer manuals from about #11 on up have at least 1 reduced load per bullet weight where the powder works.
    The brown Dupont/IMR pamphlets from the 1970s on up have full power loads that can be used to estimate a lighter load.
    The IMR manual also has 4227 data that you can compare to the SR4759 to give you a way to compare SR4759 to IMR4227.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/imr_reloading.pdf

Where did you get the SR4759? I would like to buy some if they have any more.

for .303 look at .30-40 Krag data in IMR
    for the 54R and 7.7 Look at similar size rounds with similar pressures like the .300 Savage for example.

I have used this powder in everything from a .222 on up a little.
    But I have used a lot of it in the .45-70 and .40-65 with heavy cast bullets.
    Last edited by ireload2; 03-17-2016 at 10:19 PM.

Enjoy the 4759 while you can. This is the second time it has been discontinued, Brought back by popular demand before, doubt it will happen again. I've got two 8 ounce cans.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

http://www.chuckhawks.com/reduced_recoil_reloads.htm

I have had great luck with SR4759 in 30-06, 8X57 and 6.5X55...

Thanks for the replies. Didn't know the 4227 comparison but that makes sense. Those figures are very close to what I remember of the .303 load I used. Funny thing was I had shot quite a number of rounds before I weighed the charge I used on that.303 loading which from memory was just over 20grains (maybe 22ish)

As for more SR 4759. It was sitting at a local pawn shop. Owners friend had asked him to sell on consignment. That was the only bottle there.

Time to work up some loads and do some shooting.

Update have yet to load any ammo but was looking through my stuff and found some more data. Lyman 49th has some good stuff. I was so fixated on finding my old data that I blew right past this in the book.
    Last edited by crjunkie; 03-19-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by crjunkie View Post
    If I could locate my data from my success with the .303 I would share but I have since lost it.
    I use 23.5 gr. 4759 behind a 123 grain SKS bullet. Same load seems to work okay w/ 150 grain bullets.

The Speer Manual #13 has some reduced-load data for 4759 in rifle cartridges.

IMR 4759 is also a great cast bullet powder especially for the 7.62x54r. I have a Finn model 27 that I shoot the lyman 314299 with 20.0 grains of this powder. But its usefulness is just not limited to the above cartridge. Schutzen shooters love it for its accuracy in the 32-40 and 38-55 cartridges also. Think the reason for its being no longer made is that it costs too much to make (aka bean counters) and limited market. Frank

Frank
    Most of the world that burns powder is obsessed with fast fast fast and cannot appreciate that you don't have to go fast to have fun with SR4759.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46 View Post
    IMR 4759 is also a great cast bullet powder especially for the 7.62x54r. I have a Finn model 27 that I shoot the lyman 314299 with 20.0 grains of this powder. But its usefulness is just not limited to the above cartridge. Schutzen shooters love it for its accuracy in the 32-40 and 38-55 cartridges also. Think the reason for its being no longer made is that it costs too much to make (aka bean counters) and limited market. Frank

I believe that might have been part of the reason I never bought any more of that powder. I was trying to wring the most out of each cartridge in speed and power.

I am past that for now and having fun teaching my boys marksmanship. Small groups are like stringers loaded with fish to them. Reduced loads are great for this since they permit longer range trips.

Also have been using Ed Harris's "The Load" with some great success in certain rounds.

ireload2, learned long ago that fast doesn't mean squat. Barrels last longer as well as the accuracy. Casting my own bullets, loading them and getting good accuracy is all the part of having fun with cast bullets. Liked the lyman 314299 when it first came out bought a second mold in case I messed up with the first. Besides can get a lot of shooting from a pound of powder. Got a winchester low wall action and think I have a line on a slightly faster twist barrel that was standard on the 32-20 cartridge. Sometimes getting there is half the fun. Frank