mas 36 antichar

Thread: mas 36 antichar

Default mas 36 antichar

Just sold at auction in Paris
    241: Prototype de fusil antichar, fabrication d'arsenal
    Prototype de fusil antichar, fabrication d'arsenal sur base de fusil d'infanterie Mas 36 à la veille de la guerre. Il s'agit probablement d'une arme d'étude inachevée, la chambre présente notamment un profil tubulaire parfaitement rectiligne dans l'attente d'un chemisage. La munition envisagée était de petit calibre et grande vitesse du genre 8mm Maroszek. Cette arme a fait l'objet d'un article dans le magasine Cibles n°255 de juin 1991, pages 52 et 53. Pas d'autre exemplaire connu. 2500/2800

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...ksid=p3907.m32
    Best regards
    RRO

Did you happen to get it ?
    VERY NICE ... very few made ... I wish that I could see one in person one day
    Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

Quote Originally Posted by 1886lebel View Post
    Did you happen to get it ?
    VERY NICE ... very few made ... I wish that I could see one in person one day
    Patrick
    No I did not get it but I must admit I was very tempted, what kept me back was the hassle of an importation.
    I will console myself by getting the copy of "Cible No 255 of june 1991"
    Best regards
    RRO

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I know we posted it somewhere the type of ammunition this used ... I can not remember who it was that posted it ...
    Well hopefully the magazine has some neat info on this rare cool weapon
    Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

OK,,, What the heck is it?????????????????

Exclamation Is this the same thing?

Oddly enough I found this last night while killing time on a phone call. Is it he same?

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20franc...rieux%20gb.htm
    Regards, Hank
    "I've collected 'em and now I must sell it all"
    U.S. Navy Cold War & Vietnam era Veteran
    American Legion Post 74
    Dillwyn 315 AF&AM

OK who is going to shoot it first? I vote for Kelt.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

I fail to see how a short barreled rifle with a mild pressure cartridge, (look at the two front lug not bigger than the regular Mas 36 lugs) could be of any use against armor.

French military engineers had experimented with the Polish antitank rifle WZ 35, with its long barrel and high speed cartridge it had only half the armor piercing capacity of the 13.2mm hotchkiss HMG firing AP bullets. The french high command was not interested in the WZ 35 or in its clone.

The French Army had in its inventory two models of 25mm antitank gun, the Hotchkiss Mle Mle 1934, and the APX Mle 1937, both capable of piercing 40mm armor at 400M, about 4500 were in use in 1940.

Beside developping the 75mm Mle 39 TAZ antitank gun (capacity 100mm at 1000M with AP), the French engineers were working on two promising concepts, the APDS round, and the HEAT shaped charge.
    APDS was developed by engineers working for the Brandt company, and was fielded in two calibers (75 mm/57 mm for the Mle1897/33 75 mm anti-tank cannon 180mm at 1000M, 37 mm/25 mm for the old APX Mle 1916TR 40mm at 400M) just before the French-German armistice of 1940. The Edgar Brandt engineers, having been evacuated to the United Kingdom, joined ongoing APDS development efforts there.
    The 60mm Heat shaped charge anti tank grenade was in trial in 1940, the people in charge of its developpement took their files and expertise to the USA to help developpement there.

As for shooting unfriendly weapons, thanks but no thanks, I'll pass.
    I already got the thrill of a lifetime when shooting the Mle 1950 LRAC in very hot weather, the rocket propellant charge was split in two parts, a starter charge for launching the 73mm rocket and a booster charge supposedly igniting after 15M travel to bring the rocket up to full speed. We knew the rocket was unreliable in hot climate, the whole charge, starter+ booster had the nasty habit of getting off inside the tube giving a fierce recoil and a lot of burning flames with the shooter and loader hugging the launcher together and trying both to hide behind the very small heat shield, all very unpleasant but it was nontheless getting the job done.

kelt