Tokarev SVT-40. Identifying, collecting and FAQ. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tokarev SVT-40. Identifying, collecting and FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    I suppose this should be corrected. As we find out, there was no "early" Svt-40 mags with holes. Round holes at Svt-38 mags - Tula production, stadium shape holes - Izhevsk production
    That's very interesting, do you have any idea about the number of magazines that were produced by Tula and/or Izhevsk?

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    I suppose this should be corrected. As we find out, there was no "early" Svt-40 mags with holes. Round holes at Svt-38 mags - Tula production, stadium shape holes - Izhevsk production
    Thanks for reminding me. I have corrected the text - there were no "early SVT-40 mag", just 2 factories making two different types of SVT-38 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Horilka View Post
    Thanks for reminding me. I have corrected the text - there were no "early SVT-40 mag", just 2 factories making two different types of SVT-38 magazines.
    It probably is worth mentioning, however, that early SVT40 were issued with matching "SVT38" style magazines.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    It probably is worth mentioning, however, that early SVT40 were issued with matching "SVT38" style magazines.

I would agree. Nobody was throwing out already made magazines. I have a record about two Type 2 magazines with serials prefixed "Сх" that place them to SVT-40 production period. Can't dig them out from bottom of the crate to make pictures. I want to make a pic or find a picture of Type 2 mags with prefix Н, П, С before posting this information.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post

Quite possible that this is related not to all SVTs. Magazines without hole already existed when SVT40 was accepted to service - I have report from trials of preserial sniper SVT40 from May 1940 (И* prefix), picture shows mag without hole. Also I was told by mr.Chumak that first version if SVT40 drawings contain mag without hole

Can you tell how common/valuable SVT38 type 1 mags are?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38mag.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	2645953
    pic. ref from above the page.

I have a Tokarev svt-40 in my sons collection dated 1940 S# B1899 with electro matching numbers on other parts, and stamped in stock. I would like to know more about this gun. Any info would be appreciated. My son was a gunsmith and has passed, and i am trying to help his children.

With information you provided the only conclusion is the rifle is Soviet refurb one. Take a look at first post to check Soviet refurb features. If you have more question please be more specific and post some pictures.

Can't open any attachments

Name:	ivalid.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	2777538

Sorry i uploaded pictures but when i posted everything was converted to attachments. New computer, I must be doing something wrong, Trying to correct mistake.

I have opened the attachments on another computer and had no trouble. Was anyone able to open the attachments, please let me know.
    Last edited by UPH4YOU2; 01-10-2018 at 12:19 PM.

I tried to post pictures but they showed up as attachments. Please let me know if you were able to open them . If not tell me how to load pictures.

Thank you for such an informative article. I am always amazed at the incredible amounts of knowledge available on this site. Thank you again. Wonderful piece.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by UPH4YOU2 View Post
    I tried to post pictures but they showed up as attachments. Please let me know if you were able to open them . If not tell me how to load pictures.
    Upload them to imgur.com or postimg.org and copy-paste provided BBCode with link to the images.

https://imgur.com/a/aD0i6#MjQQjyj

PLEASE SEE IF THIS WORKS.

JULES

That is typical Soviet refrubished SVT-40, originally made in Tula in 1940, nothing special. I'm not in US but I guess US price is about $1200.

Thank you for your information on the SVT-40 , Your Post gave me quite a lot of information about the gun. Before finding your post i knew very little about the gun, Again thank you.

I bought this SVT-40 last summer and only fired a few rounds through it. Previous owner said he shot it regular and was quite accurate. I was thinking of selling it as I don't shoot it much, but when I took it out of safe, I decided to keep it. Found out a lot of information from this post.
    Pictures included
    https://ibb.co/album/h0f76F

capt14k Guest

Are there production numbers for the Bayonets? What about the SVT-38 and AVS-36 bayonet and rifles production numbers?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by capt14k View Post
    Are there production numbers for the Bayonets? What about the SVT-38 and AVS-36 bayonet and rifles production numbers?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I have no numbers for SVT bayonets production and I don't recall seeing them anywhere. Same for AVS bayonets.

Excellent, excellent article! I have a SVT-40 that I picked up back in the 1970s. Can't give a lot of detail about it until I dig it out, but it has a black upper hand guard that appears to be made of some type of composite material. I have been looking halfheartedly for the past 40 years but have never seen another like it. Has anyone else ever run across one?

Name:	02280011.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	285.9 KB 
ID:	3078698

Name:	02280008.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	3078706

Name:	02280012.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	3078714

That's definitely either painted or made locally.

I'm new to this forum, having finally acquired a very nice 1941 Izhevsk SVT-40. I am wondering if the author of the excellent and informative article knows the particular meaning of the large and well-struck "Г in circle" mark (the Cyrillic letter is upside down) seen in the picture of the receiver band in section 5.b discussing Factory No. 74 NKV. My rifle has the same circle with a different letter, namely, Д in circle. The photo caption seems to suggest it is a post-war Soviet refurb arsenal marking, but the plain circle with letter inside is not seen in the chart of Soviet refurb arsenal markings found at https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-quot-1-quot-). Thanks for any help, in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbats59 View Post
    I'm new to this forum, having finally acquired a very nice 1941 Izhevsk SVT-40. I am wondering if the author of the excellent and informative article knows the particular meaning of the large and well-struck "Г in circle" mark (the Cyrillic letter is upside down) seen in the picture of the receiver band in section 5.b discussing Factory No. 74 NKV. My rifle has the same circle with a different letter, namely, Д in circle. The photo caption seems to suggest it is a post-war Soviet refurb arsenal marking, but the plain circle with letter inside is not seen in the chart of Soviet refurb arsenal markings found at https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-quot-1-quot-). Thanks for any help, in advance.
    Г in circle is identified as GRAU arsenal marking however which one is not known yet. Д in circle found on the same place, same firearm type (SVT), found only on refurbs, and most likely is another GRAU arsenal marking too.

Quote Originally Posted by brian1 View Post
    I have what is apparently a SVT-40 that my Dad got in the early-mid 60s. I remember it well because it has a band of yellow paint around the muzzle end of the stock. Here's a picture of the serial number on the trigger guard. Does anyone know what that second character of the serial number is? My Dad had recorded is as an F, but it sure doesn't look like an F to me; maybe a 6? I also put in a couple other pictures, but the last one isn't that clear and should be reshot.
    Attachment 3306037
    Your attachments don't show up for me. Try uploading pics to https://postimg.cc

How does one embed a picture in the thread? I see others' posts have done it that way. When writing or editing the message, I click on the "insert picture" icon in the menu above the text block, but it creates attachments (that I can see OK), but it doesn't embed the picture in the message the way others' have. I think I've had similar problems with other forums on this board.

Outstanding info
    A big thanks as I have seen the SVT as a complete mystery until I read this post

Question SVT-40 upper hand guard

One of my SVT-40's upper handguard has 4 reinforcement pins.

Name:	20191105_161159.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	3524325
    The rest of the stock is just regular Russian refurb. Nothing special.
    I was looking for another one like that, but all I saw have 2 pins.
    Just curious, why is that?
    Does anyone else here have the same type?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by ignatandr; 11-08-2019 at 02:19 AM.

Hello I have Svt sniper with what looks to be a Pu scope that was calibrated for 91/30 I think the refurb marks put it around September as it has the large port muzzle break. Who can help me on varification and getting the serial numbers reported for the list .

Pics of my rifle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3E377B97-A664-4C7E-A07F-D1DB2C2099ED_1574805751177.jpg  

AAF40207-7E36-4377-B507-935468C16773_1574805771841.jpeg  

7794298D-D90D-4226-A8F3-76AAB0F9112F_1574805793557.jpg  

0B1902D9-EDA8-42F6-BE96-3BD413DF9D1B_1574805811896.jpg  

9814FD26-A100-46DD-A398-2D0B0A950A8E_1574805649657.jpg  

744D072C-B052-41DB-88DE-FF0FA7FD83D8_1574805667788.jpg  

03677C9D-88C8-44E9-A59B-CDA7EB70BD8C_1574805687297.jpg  

6925428B-0ABE-4658-96D2-422E0F6EF37B_1574805706111.jpg  

ECF6BDD9-7330-49C9-9800-6BB1AD0C9FF5_1574805733711.jpg  

All the features I can see on your rifle (serial range and "C") are correct for sniper rifle. I don't see a picture of notch, however I'm sure it's factory notch. Don't shoot this rifle with repro mount or you will damage the notch.

Default SVT Mags

May I have a question on Mags identification?

It seems that I have two Type 3 mags - an early Type 3 Mag with a quite good finish and probably late Type 3 Mag with a rough surface.

What bothers me is the cut out present on late Type 3 mag -( I put it in a red circle in the picture ). I did not alter the mag - I just bought it in the shape like this.
    What could be the purpose of that cut out? Is it a factory, war time deviation of the magazine or a sign of a Bubba activity, hunter rifle modification or what?

Name:	SVT Type 3 Mags ID.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	3549725
    Весло с ПСО-1

Looks to me like Bubba.

Just getting in SVTs here it's wonderful the amount of knowledge here and what to look for. But what information do you have on the SVT38? I've never seen one online or in the wild before. This thread was very helpful.

For some reason I've always thought the SVT40 with the grooves which you can mount scopes on were the more uncommon ones, being the ungrooved ones like mine the bread-n-butter. It turns out that Tula people couldn't be bothered (Assuming the C in cy meant September).

As I was organizing my spare mag box (and revisiting this great thread) I came across 2 mags I bought awhile ago.

Both mags are early type, single lug, no seam on the front.

The one on the left has a "stadium" hole which is supposed to be Izhevsk but it has a Tula "Star" stamp, the one on the right has a round hole which is supposed to be Tula but has an Izhevsk "Arrow in the Triangle" stamp.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0001-012.jpg  

DSC_0003-032.jpg  

DSC_0002-012.JPG  

DSC_0004-014.jpg  

That's very interesting, Yuri. IIRC two researchers disagree on the subject. Koldunov thinks that Type 2 (stadium shaped holes) is early SVT-40 pattern, Chumak claims that Type 1 is early and Type 2 is late with no references to factories. Up until this point I believed that Type 1 and Type 2 represent two different factories. Pictures you made speak in support of Chumak's stance on this. I will correct the write up. Thank you for paying attention and posting this.

That's very interesting, Yuri. IIRC two researchers disagree on the subject. Koldunov thinks that Type 2 (stadium shaped holes) is early SVT-40 pattern, Chumak claims that Type 1 is early and Type 2 is late with no references to factories. Up until this point I believed that Type 1 and Type 2 represent two different factories. Pictures you made speak in support of Chumak's stance on this. I will correct the write up. Thank you for paying attention and posting this.
    Thank you for your response and for your amazing thread!

Looks to me like Bubba.
    For the record - I've just found another SVT magazine with the same "cut" so the alleged Bubba seemed to be quite active

Name:	ED 7772.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	3598225

or for some reason it was a factory "cut" of unknown purpose.
    Весло с ПСО-1

Quote Originally Posted by PMB View Post
    For the record - I've just found another SVT magazine with the same "cut" so the alleged Bubba seemed to be quite active

or for some reason it was a factory "cut" of unknown purpose.
    A) I don't see any reason for such cutout for factory SVT rifle and most importantly B) there are no documents known so far or drawings supporting such modifications. I'm not saying it's impossible, however at the moment there are no facts that speak in favour of "factory mod" theory. Most likely it's some kind of Bubba mod we don't know about yet.

Are both mags found in Poland? Where did you find both mags, what web site? Probably context could help to narrow down possible source of these mags and reason for mods.
    Another thing: are blank-firing SVTs available in your county? I wonder if it's not the way to deal with short Soviet blank firing rounds. I recall back in time we had to modify mag follower.

Both magazines I spotted in Poland - one I bought on a Polish auction site from a private owner a few years ago.
    The second - the one I posted yesterday - I've noticed on a professional arms seller website - it is offered with the SVT rifle as a set - rifle Mednogorsk ( Tula - star ) from 1942, s/n НБ 1577,refurb, no rails, red bolt carrier, early "slim" trigger guard, two-port "window" muzzle brake, late 7-holes upper shrouds, refurb stock with two cut-outs for safety selector - apart from Soviet markings also "DE 12 UA" marking ( import to Germany from Ukraine, probably in 2012 ) and modern CIP markings.
    The sale is still ongoing so I can not put a link to the rifle.
    With the first magazine - the one I own I thought that the seller could have altered it and made that cut - but when I spotted the second magazine with the same shape of the cut, the one time Bubba theory is no longer the only possible explanation of that cut.
    Весло с ПСО-1

Any pictures of factory markings on bolt and bolt carriers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12