Gunboards Forums banner

1895 Chatellerault for survey

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Handsome Devil 
#1 ·
I have had this Chatellerault for many years. I am posting it here to add to the data base. However, I can not find the data base for these. Please advise. Anyway, here are some pictures. It is SA marked as is the stock, The barrel and receiver are both Chatellerault 1895. The bolt is a variety of parts. There are no import marks. I will
let the pictures speak for themselves. I welcome any and all comments. thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
If memory serves, the 1895 Chatellerault is the second rarest year, next to 1892. Around 25,000 produced. I haven't been keeping up with crazy prices lately. The right buyer will likely spend over a grand to land it, and probably less than two. But you never know!

#5 ·
I used to know where to find the serial number ranges for the various years. I think it was listed on Mosinnagant.net, which has been down for quite a while now. You might be able to find the chart using the Wayback machine (just Google that name).

1895 was the last year of production, and a low production year. I think around 20-25k were made. The order was for 500,000 rifles.

Airbornetrooper had a survey for these. Link is provided below. Check out page number 4 for a real treat--original matching Chatellerault in very good condition. I'm a little surprised it never received much fanfare. As for price, I'm not sure (definitely over $1k). Last I checked, a lot of stuff was selling at all time highs. For some reason, antique Mosins sell for a few hundred dollars more than their non-antique counterparts (I guess some FFL's really rape these guys in FFL fees???? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️:))

#6 ·
Aha!
I found the years of production.

#7 · (Edited)
I found a 1895 Chat a number of years ago and had a fairly good thread going with some nice contributions for the guys at the time. I have a lousy time with search engine on this site if I could find it I would include the link. Mine is #495857. Not sure of all the originality but it had been in Germany and is a nice piece in my collection that I never ever thought I would find. Found it online and jumped all over it before most people ever saw the advertisement. Bought sight unseen at a fair price and hit a home run in my ball park anyway. Very hard rifles to come by. Regards, John.

PS never fired mine and do not think it had the conversion done to chamber. I should dig this one up haven't looked at it in some time.

Found old thread on my rifle from 2014. Thought it longer ago than that? Time is an allusion for me. 1895 M91 Chat dilema?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.