762x39 feeding from mausers and carcanos

Thread: 762x39 feeding from mausers and carcanos

Default 762x39 feeding from mausers and carcanos

I have had these rifles for some time and recently just rediscovered them. Both have been converted to 762x39 caliber using SKS barrels and shoot well however the feeding from the magazine on either is a weak point.

With the mauser feeding 762x39 out of the magazine was iffy at best, if the rifle was held just right and the bolt worked carefully I could get it to feed but that was about it. The rifle BTW is a real mixmaster of parts, although the action is a Turk. Does it work to block the magazine in these and if so do you block the rear or front? Is there an aftermarket drop in magazine that could be purchased? The rifle actually shoot well, about 2 inches with cheap surplus ammo at 100yds so it could make a fun shooter if I could make it feed better.

The Carcano can use standard Carcano clips however the 762x39 cartridges would fit loose and would fall out when handled. Once the clip was in the rifle it did OK but was never very smooth.

Anyone have an idea ir solution they've used?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 762rifles.jpg  

When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Riddick, the only conversion kit I've ever seen is sold by Numrich and is for the '93-'96 small-ring Mausers. It has a Teflon (I think) mag adapter block that, I pretty sure, fits in the front of the magazine and doubles as a feed ramp.
    "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." -
    Mark Twain

NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
    Oklahoma State Cowboys ---- #1------ GO POKES!

Member on the castboolits.com website did a really neat conversion of a carcano using the single stack mags from a Romanian ak47 don't recall the actual model of the Romanian ak he used the magazines from. The problem with the carcano is the clip was designed for the longer 6.5 & 7.35 carcano cartridges. You would have to make a loading ramp that would allow you to strip off the shorter x39 cartridge and feed it to the chamber. In fact one conversion I saw this was done using a piece of steel that guided the x39 cartridge almost from the clip to the chamber. Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mtnboomer View Post
    Riddick, the only conversion kit I've ever seen is sold by Numrich and is for the '93-'96 small-ring Mausers. It has a Teflon (I think) mag adapter block that, I pretty sure, fits in the front of the magazine and doubles as a feed ramp.
    +1 It'll feed best if the extractor and bolt pick up the round, which means a block/feed ramp in front of the magazine.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

I have a '98 Mauser of unknown original origin in which some enterprising hobbyist/'smith installed a hardwood block in the rear of the mag well. It feeds the x39's just fine and shoots very well. It's been a while since I had it apart but I believe it is screwed in through the back side of the mag well and carved into a trough on top. Of course, there is a short follower and spring as well.

mriddick, nice looking rifles. I am working on a modified type 38 arisaka in 7.62x39. (google arisaka type 38 7.62x39 conversions). with the adaptation of the sks/ak series rifles, the Chinese modified mausers and any Japanese rifles left over to accept 7.62x39 cartridges for civil guard units. it allowed easier ammo re-supply. in the google search, you will see several different versions/methods that they used to accomplish their goal. some work better than others. I have set up both hardwood spacer in the rear of the mag well in one version and the nylon adapter in the front of the mag well in another. rifle is accurate and a great plinker of cheap ammo, but needs magazine tweeking to be more reliable. slow, deliberate bolt cycling is needed to convey the cartridge to the chamber and a small bit of "English" on the extractor. third option would be to weld a properly angled 5rd ak mag in the mag well and load singly or by stripper clip by the top. my fourth option would be to fit an sks mag housing to it. a winter project - I will put some photos together when complete. best john

Anyone do this and have some pics? shjoe? I picked up a cheap AK-47 mag and plan on using the follower and shortened spring in a 1916 Spanish Mauser with a 7.62x39 chamber adapter. Rifle shoots well single shot, would like to have it feed from the magazine though. I was planning on mounting a hardwood block in the rear of the mag well. I suppose mounting the block in the front of the mag well would at least theoretically allow loading with stripper clips. Not a big issue for me, but something to think about...

Mark X did make one in that cal.
    “Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

I did a conversion of a Carcano with a filler with feed ramp pinned in the magazine. Mosin barrel. Works excellent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1Filler.jpg  

2Filler shaped.jpg  

3Filler in.jpg  

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

That helps...

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Mark X did make one in that cal.
    CZ chambers their "Mini" Mauser action for it, as well.
    "Never argue with someone who is stupid, they will just bring you down to their level of stupid and then beat you with their experience with being stupid." -
    Mark Twain

NRA Life Member http://www.nra.org
    Oklahoma State Cowboys ---- #1------ GO POKES!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnboomer View Post
    CZ chambers their "Mini" Mauser action for it, as well.
    Actually the Mk X sold by Interarms was the Mini-Mauser. It was made by Zastava. CZ's version is the 527. Both were offered in 7.62x39. The Mini-Mauser is still made by Zastava.

The Mini-mauser used a staggered box magazine like the Mauser. The CZ uses a single stack detachable mag.

Has any one ever ranged tested the mark X in this cal.?
    “Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

Yep. There is a Zastava Model 85 in 7.62x39 here at Casa Hoot. I have not done extensive testing, i.e., long range, but it does well at our indoor, 50 yard range and informal shooting out at the gravel pit. I've used a number of 123-125 gr. bullets as well as some 150 gr.--all .310-312". My wife, the lovely Miss Melodie, carried it it this last deer season but we did not connect.

Numrich has single stack magazines for 30-30 for the Stevens 325 and Savage 340 rifles that are good for single feed position in 7.62X39, which is key when working with Carcanos with SKS barrels. Single stack AK magazines are also good, and come in 5 and 10 round capacity. Double stack magazines will not work reliably in this application.

I did the conversion on castboolits that Frank alluded to earlier. that board is spammed down now, or I would provide the link.

Hmm... not sure now if the AK mag I have is a single or double stack, will have to look! If it's double I've wasted $15 on less...
    Thanks for the heads up on the magazines that will work.

use a CZ 527 magazine for my project

Anytime your using a claw extractor you want the ammo to the back and spacer in the front. The spacer needs a belly that points them towards the hole and work from either side off the magazine

I did a conversion of a Carcano with a filler with feed ramp pinned in the magazine. Mosin barrel. Works excellent.
    cruffel

Any chance you could give the dimensions of that, or a line drawing?
    I bought a converted Carcano some years ago that has always had feeding issues...

geoff

Quote Originally Posted by yipper View Post
    cruffel

Any chance you could give the dimensions of that, or a line drawing?
    I bought a converted Carcano some years ago that has always had feeding issues...

geoff
    I did the whole thing "seat of pants". I guess I could take some measurements. You can see the filler is cut to accommodate the lifter. It's made of "garrolite" which is a composite. Filed a feed ramp by eye. Hand filed the shape to fit the action. Took a lot if time to fit it, little by little.

Mauser is a Controlled Feed, so the extractor holds the round on the bolt face, now you deal with the 1mm+ slop, the smaller rim
    much of the feed problem for the x39 is that it is lifted, fed, the bounced OFF the bolt
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinitis View Post
    Mauser is a Controlled Feed, so the extractor holds the round on the bolt face, now you deal with the 1mm+ slop, the smaller rim
    much of the feed problem for the x39 is that it is lifted, fed, the bounced OFF the bolt
    Not so with the Carcano. The round is picked up nicely by the bolt. The smaller head of the Carcano round makes this conversion work well.

Quote Originally Posted by cruffel View Post
    I did the whole thing "seat of pants". I guess I could take some measurements. You can see the filler is cut to accommodate the lifter. It's made of "garrolite" which is a composite. Filed a feed ramp by eye. Hand filed the shape to fit the action. Took a lot if time to fit it, little by little.
    Maybe you could lay it on its side and trace it on a sheet of paper and post that with a scale. I understand there would still be fitting to do, but would get me in the ballpark...

Quote Originally Posted by yipper View Post
    Maybe you could lay it on its side and trace it on a sheet of paper and post that with a scale. I understand there would still be fitting to do, but would get me in the ballpark...
    I really don't want to take it apart. You should be able to get a good idea from the photos. After the initial shape, it's all "file and trial".

for a Mauser, one of the 'easy' solutions is to cut a deeper extractor groove into the bolt head, and solder in a reducing ring to hold the x39 case securely
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic