Lakelander M375

Thread: Lakelander M375

Default Lakelander M375

I think it might be a good idea to post some reference pics of the action used for the M375.

A descrption of the action could be as follow;

The action is of the nine lugs design, push feed, co*k-on-open, very short throw. Well executed, with a smooth bolt operation and no loose on the fully open position. The safety is thumb operated. The magazine is of the blind type, with a release latch on the side of the receiver for unloading the said magazine. Unloading is done by pressing the latch with the bolt fully open, wich releases the ammunition to exit from the top, pushed up by the follower spring. The bolt release is either on the left side (late?) or on the right side (early?). The easiest one to operate is definitely the one having the release latch on the right side (see cap screw head just besides the bolt slot below). there are also some minor differences in the bolt design for both variants: but these are so minor that I won't get to that point. The extractor is of the "Sako" type. The blueing is of very good quality, deep and dark blue.
    All in all, these rifles are light, well balanced (weight and visual), the only negative poit bieng the small trigger gard.

From the S/N, this is an early version of the M375;

Later S/N variant;

The left bolt is of the "older" design while the right one is of the "newer" design. The differences, hard to see here, are mostly in the cocking piece design and the firing pin retaining screw.

Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

Hmmm I have a Lakelander catalogue leaflet folder and dug it out but it's for the 389 dating from 1991. the 389 Battaue sheet inside is duplicated for some reason with two copies in the folder . Ahhh sussed it as there is a second sheet marked Affut which I believe is sporter? as apart from the wording Affut/Sporter they are the same.

Ahh the magazine is a simplified sheet metal version of the Mannlicher Schoenauer magazine being of rotary design and the sheets have nice clear close up photos of it. And the brouchure itself has some photos of the production line and Konnesberg used OKUMA CNC milling centre to make the actions as there is a good photo of that too.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 11-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.

While both design are from the same original receiver, they are a tad different.
    Coagula / Solve

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I was going to bug you about the Lakelanders,Sir. But I see you beat me to it. I take it they are from Norway? Anthony has one that the description says made in Finland. Who would have been the manufacturer? From the look of things those winter knobs are not removeable,true?

Nope! both of these are from Finland!
    The 389 is from Norway!
    The "glove knobs" of if you want "winter knobs" are removable. They are urethane or epoxy bounded. Easy to cut them off.

The 375 is the 9 lugs design while the 389 is of the 2 lugs design.
    The 375/389 had some history about the manufacturing sub-contractors, I don't have the whole complete story but as I know, most were made in Sweden and Norway. Some were (assembled??) in Mississipi, in '96-'98, but these were the 389 design.
    Last edited by Baribal; 11-16-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: I got it wrong, and fixed it...
    Coagula / Solve

The Lakelander started off as a Finnish rifle, and has later on been produced in both Norway and Sweden under various names. The last company making it in Sweden, under it's third ownership and by the name of Varberger, went belly-up some time ago.
    I think I did a post on the Lakelander/Varberger timeline way back when. Try searching for it.
    Might have been lost with the forum changes though.

Pettson
    Last edited by Pettson; 11-15-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Here's a Varberger SLK, one of the last rifles to come out of production before the last (or should I say latest?) bankrupcy.

The late rifles were basically the same as the original design, but had some minor alterations to the bolt, bolt stop and ejector.

Pettson

I knew Pettson' attention would be attracted by this! Thanks for clarifying the story a bit.
    I did not find the old post, that's one of the reasons why I posted these pictures. There seems to have quite a bit of interest from Canadian collectors for these fine rifles, but they lack informations.
    Coagula / Solve

I'll try to do the short story again a bit later.
    The latest bancrupcy was, unfortunalety, of the ugly type, featuring a manager and a consultant that were more interested in fiddling with EU subsidiaries, billing each other for non-existant services and generally cheating with taxes, rather than trying to produce rifles.
    A rather sad end (?) to the saga of an interesting rifle design.

But rumour has it someone bought up the inventory of parts and tools, so perhaps it wasn't the end after all. Problem is, with all that's been going on, the market reputation and goodwill of the Varberger brand isn't perhaps the best in Sweden and Scandinavia right now...

Pettson

It seems Anthony has three of the Lakelanders that were made in Finland. What do you know about that model 1990 Viking he has too?

You'll find some reading here. Unfortunately most of the pictures are vanished.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ghlight=viking

Pettson

A couple of close-ups of the rifle pictured above. Cocking piece, bolt face and improved bolt stop.

Pettson

lakelander

Hello gents, first Lakelader game out from Tap during 1975.
    TAP=Tampereen asepaja, very well known small gun company in Tampere.
    rgds jorma

Question Lakelander M375

Hello Everyone:

Just purchased a Lakelander M375 from Tradex; could anyone out there help me try to date this rifle - serial number is 0320.

Thanks

What calibers are/were these rifles chambered for?
    Sola Deo Gloria

Default Lakelander calibers

Tough to find information on these rifles. Tradeexcanada.com seems to have 4 listed on their site chambered for 6.5x55, 270 Win and .30-06.
    Hope this helps.

Default lakelander at tradex

Ross, what is the quality of the lakelander you bought from Tradex? I've been looking at one in 30-06, but don't know much about Lakelanders.

Are they as good of quality as Husqvarna,in your opinion? Accuracy?

damorris

The two terms, Affut and Battue, refer to two types of hunting practiced in France, and probably Europe in general.
    Afft refers to hunting from an prepared , elevated position overlooking areas frequented by game. The position is called a mirador iin France.
    Battue refers to hunting driven game driven towards a line of posted shooters by drivers and/or dogs. The driven game often passes the line of shooters at a run.
    The two names in the Lakelander catalog probably refer to rifles intended for the two types of hunting. Slow, precise shooting at stationary or slowly moving targets for the Afft and quick, instinctive shooting on short range, running targets for the Battue.

Default lakelander at tradeex

Quote Originally Posted by damorris View Post
    Ross, what is the quality of the lakelander you bought from Tradex? I've been looking at one in 30-06, but don't know much about Lakelanders.

Are they as good of quality as Husqvarna,in your opinion? Accuracy?

damorris
    Hello damorris:

Sorry for the late reply; I haven't checked this thread for about 5 months and I've had to change my user name slightly in the meantme.
    I'll try to answer your questions. I would say the quality of the action and barrel is very good, similar to Sako and definitely as good as Husqvarna ( I also have an FN98 Husky). The action is very smooth and quick and the gun overall seems be well balanced. The one I have, judging from the serial number, is probably of mid to late '70's vintage. The stock and checkering is a little on the rustic side with some handling marks typical of a gun that has seen a fair amount of field use, but there is very little blue wear. The bore is excellent; I haven't done accurate measurements, but it does seem to shoot 11/2" groups at 100 yards. I paid $595.00 Cdn. for it complete with weaver bases, Williams adjustable rear sight and German made adjustable trigger.
    All I had to do was have it checked over, cleaned and mount the scope, so I do believe it's good value for the money. I'll try to get out to the shooting range in the near future to provide more definite accuracy numbers.
    The company, Tampereen Asepaja OY, manufactured the TAP-375 during the '70's up to, I believe, the mid 80's. There's a story that the Finnish government shut them down in the mid 90's due to, allegedly, several hundred machine pistols they were manufacturing somehow got into the hands of the Finnish mafia. Pity.

Hope this helps,

Ross R.