Production date for Ishapore No1MkIII*

Thread: Production date for Ishapore No1MkIII*

Default Production date for Ishapore No1MkIII*

My uncle acquired an Ishapore No1MkIII* a number of years ago that has a date of 1980. "India's Enfields" states an end of production for .303 Enfields in the mid 70s. I do not have photos at this point, but will in the next few days. Did production run into the 80s? Has anyone else run across a date as late as this?
    NRA Life
    Garand Collectors Assoc.
    Alabama Gun Collectors Assoc.
    Alabama Military Collectors Assoc.
    Tennessee Military Collectors Assoc.
    Tennessee Valley Civil War Round Table
    National Society, Sons of the American Revolution

Ishapore No.1 mk3*s have turned up dated as late as 1988.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

Chalked to show weak stampings:

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JPH712 View Post
    My uncle acquired an Ishapore No1MkIII* a number of years ago that has a date of 1980. "India's Enfields" states an end of production for .303 Enfields in the mid 70s. I do not have photos at this point, but will in the next few days. Did production run into the 80s? Has anyone else run across a date as late as this?

Actually what is interesting to me about this is not that it is late but that it is EARLY (in the 80s)
    My understanding was that production of the 7.62mm 2A/A1 lasted from 1964-1969 (anyone seen a 69 or later 2A/A1?), then there was a short run of .303 rifles 1970-1974? (I have never seen a 75-80 until now anyone have pics?)
    and then a final run (assembled from stocks of parts?) from 1985-1988 I have not seen one later than 1988 but until now I had not heard of one between 1974-1985 either. I would love to see pics.

That thought had occurred to me as well. Decided to wait for the photos. Aside from the possible 1980, I haven't seen an FR 80 either.

When I'm gone, tell my wife to sell my 'toys' for what they are worth, NOT what I said I paid for them.

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever".

this is killer. it is amazing what is out there, until some one brings it up! i think it is fascinating.

I have 1970,71,72,86,87,88.

I have seen an '85 but missed it at auction, same with a 1969 7.62mm which I would really like to find.

One may presume that they still have the machinery? How good would it be if they arced it up again and resumed production for a couple of years.

It turns out that he has not just the one Ishapore, but a phone conversation revealed that he has 4X Ishapore No1MkIII* and at least 1 2A1. I have asked him to pull them from the safe so that I can take a few photos. I will be at his house tomorrow and hope he has extricated them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    NRA Life
    Garand Collectors Assoc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ishaporelots.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	2284097
    Yeah You need to keep an eye on them...they reproduce

I'm guessing some of the machinery is still in use. Click on "315 Sporting Rifle" under Civil Weapons.

http://rfi.nic.in/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 315_SPR.jpg  

Steve

Okay, after talking with my uncle he said it is a 1981, but after closers evaluation the rifle is a 1987 production. It is all matching, barrel, bolt, bayonet lug, stock. Interesting it looks to have a stock reinforcing bolt, but shows Zero evidence of ever having been wire wrapped. Still has to dig out the other 4 Indian rifles.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    NRA Life
    Garand Collectors Assoc.

That is the "Ishapore SCREW" - very common (all my 80s rifles have it also) almost universally installed on post WWII Indian rifles to prevent splitting - while they serve the same purpose the bolts used on the GF rifles are significantly larger and have hex heads on both nut and bolt.
    Looks to be a nice late(final?) production run example, agree - clearly 1987. Which is in one respect good (as it fits with what I thought I knew) and in one respect disappointing as I was hoping there was a broader spread of late production.
    Ah well -- still looking for that 1969 2A/A1!