Gunboards Forums banner

FN 30-11 Serial Number/Generation Survey

22K views 111 replies 11 participants last post by  AGG 
#1 ·
Trying to determine the number of FN 30-11's, whether First (5-round fixed) or Second (10-round detachable) Generation, markings, and countries of location!!! :)
All information is strictly confidential (can PM me), and I will gladly share all non-confidential data. ;)

Tony

#12 ·
The Thai Armed Forces Security Center....

a combined-arms organization with intel and security duties, near Bangkok, had about a dozen of the first-gen 30-11 rifles, with German post reticle 4x scopes in STANAG mounts when I was stationed with them in 1987-1991. The rifles were seldom used, and the bedding had deteriorated. I re-bedded them in Acraglas, adjusted the triggers and scopes and made-up some good ammunition for them (the ammo they had been issued was Spanish NATO ball, from the Palencia Arsenal) by pulling the original bullets, adjusting the powder charge and seating Sierra 168 gr. MKs. I did not record the serial numbers of the rifles.
Later, they made up a team to shoot in the first-ever Thai 'national match' rifle competition, using these rifles - I and one fellow American were on the six-man team, which won the match, and I was the high individual winner, receiving a trophy and medal from Crown Princess Sirindthorn.

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

#14 ·
Very welcome...

It's always nice to have an opportunity to dredge-up memories from the 'old days', when I was doing things of interest and use. I found a photo of my Thai buddies and me, with one of the 30-11 rifles, when we were testing them after rebuild, with the 'Thai match' reloaded ammo. The image is a digital photo of a snapshot, and not the best, but I think you can make out the significant details:

From the left are: a MSG, name unrecorded and forgotten, yours truly, MG Amnuay, MAJ (Boonlert?), and in the foreground the FN 30-11 rifle. I noted on the back of the photo that the improved ammo was loaded with the 168 gr. SMK bullet, and the powder charge from the Palencia NATO ball was reduced 1.5 gr. - I failed to note the MV for the ammo, but recall it as ca. 2500 fps. Also noted was that the average accuracy for the rifle(s) and ammo combination was ca. 3/4" for 10 shots @ 100 meters.

Good times, good times...

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

#30 ·
My FN Sniper Model 30-11, First generation dating from 1985; a beauty!

View attachment 3252865 View attachment 3252863
Even with the original Hensoldt (FN) 4x24 scope, extremely accurate with handloads 168 and 180 Sierra MK....5-shot groups, 18 MM @100 M AND 30,8 MM @ 300 M !.
Comes complete and original in the "Gun-Guard"-case with "Anschutz"- diopter iron sights.
Has the MAG bipod and "flash-hider", barrel from "Delcour-Liège",length 51,8 mm, which is also the original configuration.
A joy for the eye and on target!.

#31 ·
View attachment 3252865 View attachment 3252863 View attachment 3252867 Even with the original Hensoldt (FN) 4x24 scope, extremely accurate with handloads 168 and 180 Sierra MK....5-shot groups, 18 MM @100 M AND 30,8 MM @ 300 M !.
Comes complete and original in the "Gun-Guard"-case with "Anschutz"- diopter iron sights.
Has the MAG bipod and "flash-hider", barrel from "Delcour-Liège",length 51,8 mm, which is also the original configuration.
A joy for the eye and on target!.
Absolutely gorgeous!!! :grin:
PM to you.

Tony

#34 ·
With help of "upload manager".....
I bought the rifle and accessories new back in 1985 at a dealer in Belgium ( he had at that time some twenty cased Snipers , I selected the best looking an did not care about the factory test target.
I took pics of every aspect and markings, but none gives away it's date/year of manufacture......
I reload my cartridges and the bullet touches the lands very slightly ; so it's single loading a cartridge ( to long to fit in the magazine), one by one; but sole purpose is precision grouping!

Best regards,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.