Finnbear strikes again

Thread: Finnbear strikes again

Default Finnbear strikes again

Somebody got burned big time

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677729585

Sold for $1010

That's OK, they used to sell for $1500+!

Message him before bidding if you don't have feedback? Is that a normal thing?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

standard practice on gunboards and ebay especially when higher price tag items are sold. It's a tiny effort to ensure potential buyer is serious about the purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecarnie View Post
    Message him before bidding if you don't have feedback? Is that a normal thing?

Unfortunately a lot of people still think the Finnbear mounts are real, I've met a couple of knowledgeable dealers that sold them as real and refused to accept them as reproductions. The closest one of them got is to admit that "there is some controversy", after it sold for a real mount price

Those people saying "there's some controversy" make me laugh. I've seen a Finnbear mount not so long ago either on ebay or GB (don't remember where) with a two letter prefix where one of the characters doesn't even exist in Russian alphabetC'mon now.

On a good note the same guy just bought a legit sniper. Thumbs up

He did, but someone messed with it a bit

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677727814

Quote Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
    He did, but someone messed with it a bit

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/677727814
    Yeah that rifle has some issues.

And the Finnbear mounts are obvious fakes. Once you have held a real mount they really stand out to you as fake. I guess people can believe what they want.

There's another clown selling fake sniper with Finnbear mount for 4K you all know where (can't post live auction link)
    So here it is for those "controversy" people: first character 6 then G (Г) then 3 digit number. Such serial format never existed)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix018003523.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	2441418

I too was sucked in by Randolph the Finnbear, and I was referred to him by another sniper collector in the Midwest -- I sold a lot of his stuff in Shotgun News and it as at a time where I didn't know better and not much information was out there-- When Randolph passed he owed me for items never shipped and all that I got from his heirs was they would get back to me- I was advised by my attorney that to let the matter go as I was just throwing good money after bad, I had purchased a bunch of plastic red Russian Ak mags, a new in the box IP58 Russian night vision scope and two or three M28 Nagant ski patrol slings, Somewhere I came across the postal money order receipt, and it was one of those deals that I went too the Post Office and got the money Order[s] put them in the envelope, mailed it priority mail , all the time having a bad feeling about it !

As far as the rifle shown in the linked auction goes what are the issues? I'm seeing a bolt carrier in the white (refinished or maybe more correctly "un- finished" by someone) but are there other issues you guys see?

Thanks, Mike

On the 4th photo there is a serial number <upside-down-L>AT56. The first character, upside-down-L, does not exist in the Cyrillic alphabet. Perhaps someone tried to make this look like Cyrillic Г (same Greek Gamma), but only had Latin L at their disposal. Obviously fake or some kind of replica.

Very crude attempt to overstamp numbers on the rifle to make it look matching.
    Faked mount with number that does not make sense.
    Mosin scope (letters "CB" on the top drum), not SVT scope.

Some people out there have a lot of money to waste...

if that finnbear is from the midwest, he must be rencaranted(sic) cause the finnbear i delt with, died about 6 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by theok98k View Post
    if that finnbear is from the midwest, he must be rencaranted(sic) cause the finnbear i delt with, died about 6 years ago
    He died, but his fake mounts will keep screwing people for years to come

Quote Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
    He died, but his fake mounts will keep screwing people for years to come
    At least they look better than the other reproduction mounts that are available.

If the majority of the mounts we see are Randolph's, where to find an original?
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GCA MEMBER

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

In the states... nowhere. There are originals here in the US in private hands but I doubt you'll ever see them for sale unless God forbid something drastic happened in owner's life and he has to sell it. Here's my observation's over the past 5 years:
    1. Seen one on proxibid few years ago listed by RIA installed on a fake sniper. The lot sold for $4500-$5000 (don't remember exactly) plus 20% buyer's premium. I was bidding on it via my cell while sitting in a car going to my friend's wedding
    2. Two times on ebay very good dug out condition
    3. Your connections in mother Russia if any)))
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post

So I am one of the guys that sold a bunch of Randolph's stuff in the Chicago land area when Randolph was alive, I apologize for not knowing better - I thought they were real !! I have not sold one for over 10 years-- Again sorry !

how much they were selling for back then? Just curious
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtirediron View Post
    So I am one of the guys that sold a bunch of Randolph's stuff in the Chicago land area when Randolph was alive, I apologize for not knowing better - I thought they were real !! I have not sold one for over 10 years-- Again sorry !

He was listing them in the SHOTGUN NEWS for $750.00 plus shipping . A number of members of this board were contacted for advice as far as were they real or fake , and the answer was they were good to go right of out Russia ! Finnbear was well respected by many board members . I called him about the mounts and as I recall he provided Vic's name for one that felt that they were real .
    Last edited by pop63; 08-21-2017 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
    I saw a nice one on eBay a year or 2 ago. I think it sold for $2500. No scope, and I can't recall if it had the cross pin or not, but it was a genuine mount. It was a seller in Germany if I recall, correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    At least they look better than the other reproduction mounts that are available.
    They are the best replica I have seen. They had a lot of people fooled for a long time. Going price I saw, before we knew, was $1-1.5K.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    In the states... nowhere. There are originals here in the US in private hands but I doubt you'll ever see them for sale unless God forbid something drastic happened in owner's life and he has to sell it. Here's my observation's over the past 5 years:
    1. Seen one on proxibid few years ago listed by RIA installed on a fake sniper. The lot sold for $4500-$5000 (don't remember exactly) plus 20% buyer's premium. I was bidding on it via my cell while sitting in a car going to my friend's wedding
    2. Two times on ebay very good dug out condition
    3. Your connections in mother Russia if any)))
    It would take a lot of money to get me to part with mine. A replacement could never be found. The rifle is even harder to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 Sniper (1).JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	2461250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 Sniper (9).JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	880.8 KB 
ID:	2461258

Absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't say svt-40 snipers are very hard to find. They pop up once in a while here and there. As they say if you want one and patient enough, you can get one. All original matching sniper is whole different story. I've seen it only once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's Made in Russia and original, I'll buy it)

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    Absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't say svt-40 snipers are very hard to find. They pop up once in a while here and there. As they say if you want one and patient enough, you can get one. All original matching sniper is whole different story. I've seen it only once.

Yes refurbished snipers show up. But this one is not refurbished, not import marked and is all matching except the mount. I have only seen maybe 4 like this. So my statement was directed at non-refub snipers being harder to find then the mounts. But both are very tough to find. I love them.

Matt, that is one that mere mortals dream of. Thanks for posting.

I do have some of those SVT mounts in my collection .. Attached a picture, showing it with some other Russian opics of mine. Sorry, won't be parting with them - and yes, one of the SVT mounts has been sportered, you can see it has been cut at the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails russianscopes.jpg  

Mother of God!!!! I will not sleep now

Did Finnbear produce any topmounts for the Mosin Nagant? If so, what to look for. I have what id probably a reproduction top mount I bought about 18 years ago with an original PEM scope.
    "Is there something up your butt? 'Cause that's dirty and now I gotta touch it."

Never heard of...but maybe. Post some detailed pictures of your mount: front, back, left, right views. Remove the scope and take picture of inside the rings too and I'll let you know if it's repro or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    Did Finnbear produce any topmounts for the Mosin Nagant? If so, what to look for. I have what id probably a reproduction top mount I bought about 18 years ago with an original PEM scope.

A fake mount that good is way better than a cheap fake .

Quote Originally Posted by pop63 View Post
    How is it way better exactly? It's made out of spec from the original and will damage the rifle when used!

If Finnbear mounts would be in in 250 range than absolutely. Anything over that don't make sense to me. In the end of the day it's still a fake, slightly better one than others but fake!

Three year old thread...

In what way will it damage the SVT 40 receiver ? The reason I ask is I have put close to 450 to 500 rounds in one of SVT 40's back in the 90's when I purchased FINNBEARS original mount as he was selling them . I have not shot any of my SVT 40 rifles lately .

In what way will it damage the SVT 40 receiver ? The reason I ask is I have put close to 450 to 500 rounds in one of SVT 40's back in the 90's when I purchased FINNBEARS original mount as he was selling them . I have not shot any of my SVT 40 rifles lately .
    The cross pin will pound exesively on the notch on the back of the receiver and eventually damage it due to the fact that the buffer spring is much weaker that in the original mount. I would assume the geometry of the cross pin and the way it sits in the mount (a bit too high) is also different from original. All this will contribute to the notch damage. I remember someone here even had to install brass/copper buffer shim inside the notch to ease up constant hammering

Are the buffer springs in the common cheaper $139.00 SVT 40 mounts stronger than the FINNBEARS spring ? If they are not ,than they will cause the same problem . I know guys that are using them and have not hear anyone complaining about cross pin damage .