Gunboards Forums banner

CZ52 firing pin issues

5K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  vidd9130 
#1 ·
OK, Last weekend I went out back to fire my cz52 almost every hammer swing would dent the primer pretty well so i pulled the hammer back and fired which would actually fire. I figured it was either a problem with the ammo(flooded surplus ammo) or the firing pin. The firing pin appears undamaged but I orderd a replacement "cz52-2" from https://harringtonproducts.com/. Now my issue has been I am unable to remove the original firing pin as there is no firing pin retention plunger. I hope you gents have a some suggestions for me. PICS will be uploaded, if you want more pics just holler and i gotcha.

PLEASE HELP! I love this cz52 and the 7.62 tokarev but Im out of ideas on how to proceed, there should be a retention plunger but there is nothing.... Please help.

Kind regards, DGM

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Ah, so the firing pin is not a problem? Where did the firing pin retention plunger/spring go?. sometimes it does get stuck and i feel like it needs to be removed and cleaned / de-burred to prevent slam fires, Onto the hard primers, this is a result of the age of ammo or could it have been from the 5ft of water I had in my house for 5 days. The water was acidic and ate the blueing off every single gun that was in the water, the acidic flood waters even ate at the aluminum electronic connections.

#5 ·
From what I remember of my Harrington firing pin replacement they had 3 kinds, one was a direct replacement and one you had to use a specific size drill bit and de-bur/ ream the firing pin channel. It did not have the plunger, but used a different design. That small hole you see in the firing pin has to be depressed before you can remove the firing pin. I remember it took awhile to get mine in, and pretty much vowed never to do it again. I have 5 of the cz-52s including one in 9mm and love them all.

#6 ·
And FYI, do not fire the ammo that has been wet. I had the same thing with assorted 9mm over 20 years ago and a couple years back I decided to fire it in a Zastava Tokarev in 9mm. A couple in the first magazine fired fine but some were really notably loud, until I came to one that sounded like a 7.62 Tok round and I felt a stinging on my cheek. That last round I had total case separation completely around the middle of the case and it stove piped, with the case mouth still stuck in the barrel. The stinging on the cheek was from bits of the wood grips I had on the gun flying off near the top corners. After finding all that out I returned home and pulled them all apart, and used the powder as fertilizer, and threw the brass in the recycling can. Just before I did, I fired off all the primers and some were load as expected, but some were just a little puff, like the sound when you first lite the fuse on a firecracker. Most of the case's I inspected I had a noticeable stain on the outside and inside, like maybe the water had leaked in after the week + they were underwater. Trust me, it is not worth it. I still have some SKS and .357 Mag rounds I have to pull apart, but they have been put aside and labeled Junk.

#8 ·
I have an affinity for all the Tokarev's, but mostly the cz-52 and Yugo models so much so I had Bullberry build me a barrel in the caliber for my Thompson Encore. Fun little 16.5" carbine to shoot, especially with 125gr Remington rifle bullets. At 85 yards I can consistently put them in a 2" circle. I really do not like the frame mounted safety on the Polish and Romanian models, but I do have at least two of each model.
Classic has some interesting ones now, I am really considering picking up two.
https://www.classicfirearms.com/zastava-m57-tokarev-yugo
Has a trigger mounted safety!

#9 ·
Look at the barrel, and see if it has shot a lot of corrosive ammo. I have one Polish with a highly corroded barrel, and one that is pristine. Both ordered at the same time and both hand select. Outwardly both in great condition. Both seem to shoot the same however! Also look at the crown, some seem to get pretty dinged up.

#10 ·
Still, I would like to know why all the videos and guides I see regarding the removal of cz52 firing pin. Involves a firing pin retention plunger, Maybe the previous owned already upgraded the firing pin to the harrington cz52-2 which is why im not seeing the retention plunger?

#13 ·
Yours is the upgraded Harrington. By the looks of it it is the same as mine.
https://harringtonproducts.com/installation.php
Scroll down to the upraded firing pin and detent pictures

I think you may be correct,I ordered the cz52-2 pin+trigger enhancement,I sure hope Harrington will take back this brand new unopened firing pin. All the research i was doing on the issues i was having told me to get a firing pin, turns out its this ancient ammo

#14 ·
They are a nice functioning replacement, but a couple of things I remember is I think it even said in the installation instructions was to not use a drill for de-burring the firing pin hole with the recommended drill bit. I used a small T handle from a tap and die set. Turning it slowly and bringing out the shavings often. Maybe the previous owner never did ream the hole?
Also I learned to be very careful after installing an after market slide release and getting a slam-fire. It was in the ground in front of me, but I have been wary of that gun ever since. Always dropping the slide before inserting a new magazine. I haven't been shooting them much in the last few years, but I had fun reloading for them with hard cast lead up to 100gr and going out and shooting targets and cans.

#18 ·
I think you can tell by the length of the spring?
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/762x25-tok-ammo
I like S&B and Prvi and Red Army steel case when I didn't feel like looking a block away for the empty case's. Prvi makes a HP bullet also, seems to go quick. I have had good luck with buying from SGAmmo. $16 shipping for 1000

#20 · (Edited)
PPU 85grn is good stuff. Not the cheapest, but reliable. SGAmmo in Oklahoma I've had great service from over the years. They are selling "surplus" CZ-52 mags, but they are aftermarket mags marked "CZ MFG" and are not original mags. I've heard of some having issues with them, but I haven't tried them myself. The CZ82/83 mags marked "CZ MFG" aren't that great, so your millage may very...

Also, (VOP) is the refurbishment stamp. There were at least two armories that refurbished the 52's.

I know this information is elsewhere, in much better format, by much smarter people on the topic. Just sharing in an old post. :)

I think you can tell by the length of the spring?
http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/762x25-tok-ammo
I like S&B and Prvi and Red Army steel case when I didn't feel like looking a block away for the empty case's. Prvi makes a HP bullet also, seems to go quick. I have had good luck with buying from SGAmmo. $16 shipping for 1000
edited to add more detail.

#19 ·
Well after a little cleaning and drop of oil the firing pin moves quite freely and appears to protrude out of the firing pin hole the proper length.

In regards to the ammo, I do not have a setup for reloading so I'll probably stick with a decently priced non corrosive ammo.

#21 ·
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-52-parts-and-accessories
20$ each now for original. There was a time they were selling the original mags with Wolff spring upgrade 5/$75, I have at least 6 mags for each of my 5 cz-52s, but 2 of them are in the safe. I picked up 3 of my cz-52s directly from them. Newer CZ MFG mags not reliable, but can be made to work ok with the armorer's kit but I prefer original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.