Gunboards Forums banner

7.62x54R reloading data

28K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  AK-Karl 
#1 ·
does anyone know of a reloading manual that has the reloading data for the 7.62x54R. my speer manual does not have any data for this round.

#10 ·
I'm developing some loads for my MN 91-30 using IMR 3031 powder and .311" bullets. I've tried some 125 grain fmj bullets using 3031 with very good results. At about 80 yards the bullets pass through both sides of an empty steel fire extinguisher bottle and keep on going. That wouldn't be a hunting load but it sure is fun to shoot with very little recoil. If ever needed for SHTF it could be a good anti-personnel round. Not my intent though.

#13 ·
Make sure you look at any data cause when I started loading for mine, they all showed .308 bullets which is .002 smaller than what the Russians ran in the surplus ammo I had (.310)

I found that 308 bullets were no good in most of my mosins except maybe the Finn. Accuracy was just poor (worse than surplus)
They all worked great with surplus pulled bullets (bimetal jacketed .310) or Jap 7.7/Brit 303 .311 bullets
I just use 150g Sierra Pro Hunter .311 bullets I had worked up a load at 48.5gr Varget for my Sniper Mosin and this load shot good (better than factory or surplus) in all my other Mosins.
I don't recall the OAL but it was about 10-30 thousandths less than max OAL.

#20 ·
I use IMR 4064 for all of my MNs. Except my M39 gets Vihtavuori. I find the 174 grain RN Hornady Interlock accurate and the BTHP that Hornady makes for Grafs is very good too. Powder charges are in the 40s. I have stuck with Hornady because they are less expensive than Sierra and the accuracy is good.

#24 ·
According to the Vihta Vuori load data, the maximum charge for a 150 gr bullet over VV N140 is 51.7 gr. BUT... that presupposes a bullet with a diameter matched to the true bore size of the rifle. For an M28/30 with a .308 bullet, no problem, but the M39 has a caliber of .3095" and a .311 bullet is going to have pressure issues. So "Snayparskaya's" load is below the minimum charge listed for a 150 gr bullet - 47.7 gr - but with a bullet that is nominally 0.0015" oversize, he is in terra incognita.

A lead core bullet will swage down in a tight bore, but don't ever try shooting an oversize steel core bullet.

#27 ·
Well seems I'm the lone man out again. I shoot only cast bullets in my M27 which has a .3115 groove measurement. I size my cast bullets to .3135 so .002 over groove diameter. Alloy is wheel weights with 2% tin added for castability and fillout. Bullet lube is javelina and use Hornady gas checks. Powder is tyhe now discontinued IMR 4759. Powder charge is 20.0 grains. Cases are Hansen Cartridge Company and are primed with Winchester Large Rifle. Estimated velocity is roughly 1600-1700 fps. When everything including my eyes I get 2" groups at 100 yds. The Hansen Cartridge cases were sought for because they were the only boxer primed cases outside of the ones made by Norma, but were a heck of a lot cheaper. Found a dealer had 15 boxes at $13 a box. Bought all 15 boxes. Got home and inertia pulled all the bullets,powder I saved for July 4th and decapped all 300 cases. Oh yeah, the bullet is Lyman's 314299 originally made for the 303 British. Think to date it has been fired out of more Moisins than Lee enfields. And is the first bullet recomended by many shooters on the Cast Bullet Forums..Back to the cases, reprimed all 300 with Winchester Large Rifle primers.Still on my first 100 cases and estimated 3000 rounds have gone downrange. So that's about 30 shots per case. Figured out that my RCBS 2 die set was putting too much neck tension on the loaded case necks. 7/8"x14TPI screw stock same as the reloading dies was cut to 3" bored out then reamed with a few reamers all this to have a shorty neck die that only puts about 3-4 thousandths neck tension on a loaded round and does not distort the bullet. Thanks,Frank

#34 ·
Sorry for side tracking the original post here for a minute..but if I wanted to develop a load to more or less "shoot to the sight graduations" on my 39 Finn (1943, Sako)...have any of you fellows tried it, and can you give me some ideas for a starting point such as bullet weight(s), velocity maybe even some guesses on estimated ballistic coefficient. I notice the 7N1 Russ. sniper round is a rather strange shaped affair that I would describe as a rebated base rather than a boat tail. But I see it was held to a standard of 1 moa...wow. thanks, Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.