Gunboards Forums banner

Rock Island auction results

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  ncreptile 
#1 ·
Anyone watch some of the stuff up for bid at Rock Island this weekend? Alot of neat Japanese stuff was up:

Mint early Type 30 w/ Thai marks - $2,750
Early Naval Special - $1,200
A very rough Type 89 (missing many pieces, but registered) - $2,250
Type 96 LMG - $10,000
A very rough Type 10 launcher (with what looks like a Type 89 base plate) - $4,250
Very mint Type 35 w/ Thai marks - $3,250
Japanese M1 Garand copy (Type 5) - $40,000

Some very unique pieces listed there!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Auctions are now a rich mans hobby. I used to bid but over past year the good deals are now gone and it's basically a dick swinging contest for many. That said a lot of one of a kind/once in a lifetime items come up! Outta my league.

That knee mortar sure is neat!

#4 · (Edited)
I was following this auction and amazed at the selling prices. One item not mentioned above was a Nagoya Type 99 sniper that went for $8000 plus. It did have the rare 4 power adjustable scope. I had the high sealed bid for this rifle, and it was about $4000 short once the guys on the floor started going at it.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/73/3367/nagoya-type-99-rifle-77-mm-japanese

I've probably bid on 50 RIA auctions over the years and only managed to win 1. Once you figure in the 15+% premium and RIA's high shipping and handling costs, it is very hard to get a deal there. Once in a blue moon an item seems to get overlooked by the big hitters and will sell for below the low estimate and you can get an OK deal. Ncreptile is right that in many cases this auction attracts guys with more money than brains that need to show who is the "Boss". I watched 2 guys go back and forth over a German military shirt that ended up selling for over 3 times the estimated high value. Who has $50,000 to spend on a shirt?

#5 ·
I bought one item from then years ago. It was a t38 reworked "short rifle" Reworked by Nagoya. All I can say it was flawless other than being ground. Without a doubt factory new. It has since gone down the road.

#11 ·
I've also found the clientele at RIA have much deeper pockets than me! I've started watching other auctions houses as a result.

I also got burned on a purchase of 4 Japanese swords. One of them was a fake. When I complained, they gave me a $100 credit to future purchases, and explained their use of the term "Samurai Styled Sword" exempts them from fraud charges.

#18 ·
These days you need to read the descriptions and titles very carefully.
Go to Myrtle Beach and you'll see signs GOING OUT for BUSINESS. The for will be in tiny letters. Or "NOTHING OVER $4.99" followed by a teeny tiny "on the bargain shelf".

How many fake snipers do I see on gunbroker listed in a way that makes them read as original but then it says things like "91/30 with an original sniper scope attached." For the informed/educated, it's easy to see they were rebuilt/reproduction/fake and everything in between, but I've seen so many uniformed get burned by these "gotcha" sellers who then refer to their hidden wording to say "not my problem you didn't read it."

Maybe its because I just don't remember that far back, but 10 years ago seemed like a much friendlier era to be a collector/buyer in when it comes to surplus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.