Gunboards Forums banner

Tikka 91/30s

130K views 272 replies 188 participants last post by  butaford 
#1 · (Edited)
To those who have donated time and information to this thread, I am extremely grateful. There have been some interesting trends that have developed over the past couple of years. None of this would have been evident without this thread and without the submissions from its members and other boards.

Due to the move from the old old forum and the old new forum, we have lost information that has been submitted by it's members. With this post, I am trying to give a summation of what has been collected as of yet. I have tried to give a statistical idea of the features that will be found on these rifles. I have tried to break it down to the best of my ability. If you can't tell already, I am trying. Some things just don't come out in the wash without the big picture. And with the big picture, comes my whole database. Unfortunately, I cannot and at this time don't wish to, post my whole database. Its not ideal to post on 25 rifles at a time in pictures for over 250 rifles, and the file format is simply not supported.

If you haven't submitted information and you have a rifle you would like to report on, please feel free to do so.

The KEY information that I am collecting is as follows:

Year on barrel: 1943 or 1944
Receiver type: Hex or Round
Stock type: Finnish two piece (wartime,post war, or Russian partial) or Russian one piece
Front sight type: Blade (Finnish two piece, Russian/Soviet blade, or barley corn) or Soviet Globe

***Please Note***
Following this post, I will post a list of the members who should receive credit for submitting their information on the previous two boards. It wouldn't be necessary if were possible to recreate their submissions. (All three pages full.:eek:)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Below is a list of members who should receive credit for submitting their information on the previous two boards. It wouldn't be possible to have collected all the data without them.

1941, .44WCF Bill, 454 Pistol shooter, 6thsf, 7.62x54r, Allans Amory, Armsbid.com, Auction Arms, Badger, ball3006, Bampa, BeSwift, blacst, BradB, briarcliff, ChrisG, Combat32, CRH, daver1984, digger658, dtmosin, DudleyDR, ehamilton92, Empire Arms, ExecChef, ExGrndPounder, Ezra Coli, fighter ace, Finn Collector, FinnFanatic, finnmn, fusilier, GFL775, gil, GoShoot, Green Sling, GregCandR, grinder, Gunbroker Auction, gunjunkie, Gunmaker, GunOne, GunsAmerica, Hoss, HunterJ4068, jindodog, jlacy, jmlivingston, John Bufka, kampfy, Keithreid, kevsky, Kf4rza, KHW, kilrathi, Kor, Kriggevaer, krochus, ksstargazer, LarryR, Les Stanley, lhtowner, lvmb, M240G, M-38scrubber, Magnum62, Manowar, matt351, Mbsk01, Michael Jon Littman, Mike O, Mike Rockhill, Moe, MosinNagant.net, mrkimball, mto7464, Musick, NavyGunner, neatguns, Njanear, noro, opacity, Pahtu, Panhead Bill, ParallaxBill, plantfoam, POLSKA, ptrthgr8, Pur Sang, Red Ryder, REK41, retiredengine31a, RH Scott, Richard W., ricknoon, Rifleman, rmf762, rocker98, rodaz, Ron Thompson, rsc, sacooke, selectfire, Sgt Neutron, Shootatit, Shyquestor, slimedog, Spasm, Stew, svs, Swiend, Texl, ThePitsBro52, tomlawone, Turmion, twh, USMCsean, usrifle, Veritas1911

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Sean.

Here is another Tikka 91/30 for your list (#71677):

Year on barrel: 1944
Receiver type: Hex
Stock type: Finnish two piece (wartime)
Front sight type: Blade (double stacked)

Are you interested in Tikka M91's as well? I have a number of these.

#8 ·
Hi Sean,
Here's my two:

Serial Number: #55265
Year On Barrel: 1944
Receiver Type: Round-1939 Tula
Stock Type: Finn pot belly (wartime)
Front Sight Type: Blade (stacked)

Serial Number: #61167
Year On Barrel: 1944
Receiver Type: Hex-1899 Tula
Stock Type: Finn pot belly (wartime)
Front Sight Type: Blade (stacked)

Do you have any stats on how many came with the russian globe front sight?

#10 ·
Sean, my 2 are,

Serial number: 71516
Receiver type: Round
Stock type: Russian one piece
Front sight type: Soviet Globe

Serial number: 63344
Receiver type: Hex
Stock type: Finnish two piece (wartime)
Front sight type: Blade (Finnish two piece)

#11 ·
I don’t remember what I added before, so I am adding them all again…

Tikka 91/30 for your list (#73238):
Receiver type: round, low wall
Stock type: Finnish two piece (wartime) from 2 Russian M91/30 stocks; (dog collar)
Front sight type: globe

Tikka 91/30 for your list (#66138):
Receiver type: round, highwall, also pinned Russian sight base (soldered on)
Stock type: Russian wartime (screwed in rear sling slots and open front with metal strip)
Front sight type: globe

Tikka 91/30 for your list (#63426):
Receiver type: Hex (antique)
Stock type: Finnish two piece, pot belly (wartime)

Tikka 91/30 for your list (#64362):
Receiver type: Hex (1926 Izzy Dragoon)
Stock type: Finnish two piece (transitional *not original to the rifle, replacement*)

Tikka 91/30 for your list (#50071):
Year on barrel: 1943
Receiver type: Hex (?32’ Tula?)

#12 · (Edited)
My Tikka 91/30:
Round Receiver
Serial# 63516
Standard globe site with "peg" rather than blade.
Russian refurbished stock w/lined-thru-square refurb mark on butt and flaking shellac on forend like all the recent refurbs.
Bolt body is numbered "MC 37" and matches the floorplate but nothing else.

I imagine the stock must have been swapped out here in the states - otherwise how could such a 91/30 end up like this was unless it was fielded and captured by the russians?

There is a very odd mark on the stock across from where the bolt handle is - a small "5" stamped inside the lower curl of a larger "5" (not pictured below). Sorry for the crummy pics - focusing problems with my camera.

#13 ·
Its a replacement stock. There have been a couple that have popped up as replacements. My guess is over here, which is fine. The other characteristics that are still on the rifle help the overall picture and the information that I am collecting.

#15 ·
This rifle has already been entered on this survey, but it's mine now, and I've been looking forward to doing this for ages!

Receiver type: Hex (1895 Sestroryetsk, 'AZF' marked)

#19 ·
Care to send me pics of the rifle you are mentioning. I am interested to see what it looks like. The SN range does not fall into an early 43. Not in anything that I have collected so far. Nothing spans farther back than 50,ooo.